SMF Soap Making Challenge October: Hidden Feather Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So excited to give this one a try! I've always wanted to try this ever since seeing Handmade in Florida's version a long time ago.

I hope you're right! I'll try to unmold it late tomorrow afternoon or Sunday morning. It's in a silicone mold so I'm wary about trying to unmold it too soon This is also the first time I used a bit of a water discount for my 48% hard oils recipe.

Yep, accidents are how lots of great discoveries are made!!! Can't wait to see it, you have to show it to us now even if it isn't the soap you enter on the entry thread.

If it's too awful to enter, I will definitely show it here. I'll see if I can cut it tomorrow. I videotaped the making of it and I'll videotape the cutting. If it looks Ok to enter, I'll save it. It might be the only entry i have. Lately I have so little time and energy at the moment. Maybe I'll feel better in a couple of days.

Got two batches done tonight :)

First batch was supposed to be the feather swirl, but things went awry fairly quickly LOL.

I set it up and got it to emulsion, separated out my portions, then added colors. Was very careful to not over SB when I was mixing the colors in, and everything seemed to be on course. Then I realized I had forgotten to add the FO. Ugh LOL. So... by the time I blended the FO in, it was too thick (medium trace) to try the feather swirl, so I abandoned that plan, did a clyde slide ITP swirl, and called it done. Smells great (bergamot and white ginger), and I did manage to get a pretty swirl on top. We will see what the cut yields but it sure as heck won't be a feather hahahaha.

Second batch went much better. A loaf of BB Milk n Honey (a DFO). My first time using bubble wrap to line the mold to imprint the sides and bottom, hope it comes out well. Added a little black walnut powder to a little batter at the end to make a top layer. And I used one of the tools I made for the inverted stamping challenge that I didn't get to do. Smells divine and I hope it looks good when it's cured.

Got two batches done tonight :)

I set it up and got it to emulsion, separated out my portions, then added colors. Was very careful to not over SB when I was mixing the colors in, and everything seemed to be on course. Then I realized I had forgotten to add the FO. Ugh LOL.

omigosh, Gigi, I did my first attempt last night as well and did the exact same thing. IDIOT, I thought, haha! The extra blending did not help me out. I got the base poured and about 2 layers before it started really thickening up and by the end I was just glopping it in and cussing. Can't wait to see what disaster awaits me when I cut it tonight.

http://www.soapmakingforum.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

When I need my soap to stay fluid I never SB my colours in - I just stir and if it needs to thicken I just wait for it to happen on its own

I dont sb colors ever. I have a coated small wisk I use to blend. If I dump micas directly it rarely (but can) leave some undissolved if I am too hasty, but when premixed in oil it's never a problem.

Both times I have tried to stir in colors (using mica, blended with oil) I have ended up with little bits that didn't get blended in and formed marks in the soap. I don't know if it's an issue with not getting tiny clumps mixed in, so I ordered one of those little mini mixers to fully get my mica mixed with oil and hopefully I won't have to sb. It should arrive today, so I'll have it to use when I try this challenge again.

I dont sb colors ever. I have a coated small wisk I use to blend. If I dump micas directly it rarely (but can) leave some undissolved if I am too hasty, but when premixed in oil it's never a problem.

That's what I use to blend my mica into my oil and never get clumps

I made mine!...ok I made my feather to represent something other than a feather....& my base color is more than one color...I made it in a tall & skinny mold...this was fun, now for the wait!

Who knows, you may have just accidentally invented the "butterfly wing swirl" or something. :)

you mean something like this? he he was a diffirent kind of butterfly swirl...maybe I'll tweak it another time.

not my entry by the way.
temporary_42.jpg

I had a go at this tonight. Was one of those times where it all goes wrong in the last moments! All seemed well, i got my soap into squirt bottles no problem, then as i start to do the layers it seems to have solidified in the bottles...aargh! I did manage to finish it but imagine it's going to look pretty messy inside. Also my bars are pretty small as i couldn't get half the soap out of the bottles!

Just cut my entry and my big error wasn't a total disaster. Overall I'm happy, because I actually got 4 colors in the middle as well as the colored background; and the colors came close to the palette I created with my new basic water color kit.

Next time I won't do the squiggly lines with the squeezy bottles; or if I do I will lay down enough of each color to cover the base layer below. It left gaps in the patterns on some pieces.

I videotaped the cutting but won't get the video edited and up for a few more days. I've got that intestinal bug I had last week return yesterday, and last time it lasted 3 days,so I don't think I'll be up to soaping the next few days and by then it may be too late for another entry.

When I need my soap to stay fluid I never SB my colours in - I just stir and if it needs to thicken I just wait for it to happen on its own
Both times I have tried to stir in colors (using mica, blended with oil) I have ended up with little bits that didn't get blended in and formed marks in the soap. I don't know if it's an issue with not getting tiny clumps mixed in, so I ordered one of those little mini mixers to fully get my mica mixed with oil and hopefully I won't have to sb. It should arrive today, so I'll have it to use when I try this challenge again.

I use natural colorants, and they clump if not SB. But I usually mix them in water or glycerin or oil first, and I didn't this time, so had to SB. When I try it again, I'll be more thorough for sure.

I had a go at this tonight. Was one of those times where it all goes wrong in the last moments! All seemed well, i got my soap into squirt bottles no problem, then as i start to do the layers it seems to have solidified in the bottles...aargh! I did manage to finish it but imagine it's going to look pretty messy inside. Also my bars are pretty small as i couldn't get half the soap out of the bottles!

That's what happened to my first try, too.

Latest posts

Back