SMF Soap Making Challenge October: Hidden Feather Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. Snappyllama (woohoo I'm first)

2. Saponista (really looking forward to this!)

3. Commoncenz (If at first you don't succeed ... you're probably soaping)

4. TheDragonGirl (Trying should at least be entertaining)

5. BlackDog (First challenge! Woop!)

6. Rparrny (looking forward to my first!)

7. GalaxyMLP (Ive never done a feather swirl...)

8. osso (...it's been a long week)

9. TwystedPryncess (Oh, Lawd. Just, Oh, Lawd.)

10. dibbles (been on my want to try list for a long time-the time has come)

11. KristaMarie (First challenge and first feather swirl!)

12. doriettefarm (my 2nd feather swirl attempt has to turn out better than the 1st, right?)

13. Newbie (quaking in my shoes as everything's been a bust in the last week.)

14. Green soap (can't believe I am doing this.)

15. skayc1 (I've wanted to try this technique for some time now! Oh and Green Soap & I posted at the same time.)

16. SunWolf (woo hoo, I got an idea...time to build a "tall & skinny" mold)

17. Dillsandwitch (Insert witty line here)

18. traderbren (look out birdies- now my soap can have feathers, too!)

19. KristaY (Yipee! County fair is over so I can soap again! Now to shake off the "feather" nerves....)

20. Kumudini ( finally ordered some regular Palm oil, so can think of making white soap with swirls)

21. Gigi (gonna pour n pray lol)

22. MissChief (I guess I did it wrong the first time... oh well, I'm IN)

23. Mrs. Spaceship (Gonna spread my wings and hope to fly!)

24. mintle (no dividers, no hanger to bend, no very slow moving recipe - scared but I go for it!)

25 JuneP New micas and new Palm oil have arrived and will definitely make time to give this a go in the next day or two.

26. Judiraz ( never tried this, should be fun)

27. TeresaT (This challenge has to turn out better than my last two challenge disasters. Doesn't it? Please!)

28. Jules92207 (So gonna have to McGyver this cause I don't have anything I need to do this as elegantly as Sonya...this should be interesting)

29. Soapswirl (last time I attempted something like this - a hidden Christmas tree - was a disaster! Must try harder this time...)

30.Songwind (Sounds like fun. I wanted to learn this technique anyway, so...
icon_smile.gif
)

Last edited:
I made a triple butter batch today with Lavender & Chamomile FO and piggy backed a feather swirl. this being a floral FO batch, didn't behave very nicely even with RT soaping. I still got two pours of each color in. This was in my CC regular loaf mold and if the batter was thin enough I could've easily got the third pour in. So, Sonya, your challenge is not too hard. hopefully I will make a batch exclusively for the challenge, with lower percentage of hard oils (this batch was 70% hard oils), with well behaved EOs and no steep water discounts.
I still think this technique would be awesome with a taller mold.

Have I been too strict and made the challenge too hard by specifying you need to use 3 colours at least 3 times?

Absolutely not, my only issue was reading too fast...I simply missed reading that bit of the requirements.

<snip> Or may be its a perfect excuse for me to get a T&S mold :).

I made a T&S mold out of corregated plastic. You can get it at most craft stores and office supply stores, you may also be able to purchase some from a sign shop if you have one nearby.

I don't have enough posts to play but I'll be trying it anyway. I love Sonya's result but I'm sure my first won't be that pretty!

You have 77 posts, you only need 50...join and play!!! :thumbup:

I made a T&S mold out of corregated plastic. You can get it at most craft stores and office supply stores, you may also be able to purchase some from a sign shop if you have one nearby.

I am not very crafty, but I remember seeing a video on this and thinking that it doesn't seem to be very difficult. I will find that video again and see if I could give it a go. Thank you for mentioning this. Btw, I like your soap colors. but I think you need to have the base color between the color pours as you need to be able to see the background between the ?fronds, like you would in a real feather. someone correct me if I am wrong.

12. doriettefarm (my 2nd feather swirl attempt has to turn out better than the 1st, right?)

15. skayc1 (I've wanted to try this technique for some time now! Oh and Green Soap & I posted at the same time.)

19. KristaY (Yipee! County fair is over so I can soap again! Now to shake off the "feather" nerves....)

20. Kumudini ( finally ordered some regular Palm oil, so can think of making white soap with swirls)

24. mintle (no dividers, no hanger to bend, no very slow moving recipe - scared but I go for it!)

25 JuneP New micas and new Palm oil have arrived and will definitely make time to give this a go in the next day or two.

27. TeresaT (This challenge has to turn out better than my last two challenge disasters. Doesn't it? Please!)

28. Jules92207 (So gonna have to McGyver this cause I don't have anything I need to do this as elegantly as Sonya...this should be interesting)

29. Soapswirl (last time I attempted something like this - a hidden Christmas tree - was a disaster! Must try harder this time...)

icon_smile.gif
)

31. Rowan (terrified, but can't resist!)

Btw, I like your soap colors. but I think you need to have the base color between the color pours as you need to be able to see the background between the ?fronds, like you would in a real feather. someone correct me if I am wrong.

This is totally down to personal preference - to show both ways I used the base between each colour on the first pour of each colour then I only used the base after I'd used each of the 3 colours

icon_smile.gif
)

31. Rowan (terrified, but can't resist)

32. Hot ****...count me in!!!

I made my first (and possibly only) attempt just now. My lye situation is weak, so I might not have enough for another batch if this doesn't work like I wanted. My batter thickened up quite a bit more than I hoped, so I'm not sure how this will turn out.

Edited to remove picture now that I'm re-reading requirements and other details...

Edited again because my editing skills are worse than my soapmaking skills...

Last edited:

30.Songwind (Sounds like fun. I wanted to learn this technique anyway, so... )

31. Rowan (terrified, but can't resist)

32. Luv2Soap (Hot ****...count me in!!!)

Very cool K! Maybe not the feather you were hoping for but I think it looks like ribbon candy.

The cool thing is I wasn't hoping for anything, just was trying out some ideas. So I still like it. I think it looks good, but it smells fabulous. I had just made a tester of that FO one week ago along with 9 others and I liked it enough to use it in a batch I wanted to make for myself, a triple butter, SF 8 bar for the winter.

My first attempt is hilarious! The batter got too thick on me, so it was hard to get it layered. And I have never attempted anything like this before, and do not have dividers or a hanger tool. Just cardboard and an actual hanger. Lol. Guess I'll give it another go maybe next week.

image.jpg

Made a huge mistake!

Just finished my secret feather swirl and videotaped the whole process, including my major mistake!

All was going great even though I was concerned about having selected the right amount of batter to use for the four colorants for the pattern. Next time, I'll probably use a hair less batter for those, so I'll have more of the base color when I get to the top.,

The batter behaved pretty well considering I had reduced the water a bit and my new recipe had 48% hard oils which include palm and mango seed butter.

My major mistake happened after I removed the separators. I forgot to swirl it!!!! I realized it after I had already added some of the leftover colors to the top, There wasn't much I could do; but I tried to use the hanger swirl tool to move aside the colored soap on the top a bit and hoped that when I went down in the center, that it wouldn't push those colors down and make a huge mess. Unfortunately, I don't think I was able to avoid that color contamination, but I'll know in 48 hours when I un-mold it.

I couldn't believe I made such a huge error after being so careful the rest of the way. Normally I would have the hanger tool sitting on my work station with the other tools, but because I was videoing and had a tight space to work in, I had set the tool on a table about four feet away. Out of sight out of mind, unfortunately. Oh, well, I may not have an entry, but I may wind up with something not too bad that will be an in house soap.

Not sure if I can find time to make another one, but I'd like to try again in the not too distant future. Maybe in a few days when I get caught up with around the house chores and a day in town to pick out kitchen tile and other shopping, I'll be ready to start over. Meantime, I'll pick out a different color palette for the next one. I'm already thinking dark purple, fuschia/magenta, lilac and bright lime green with black raspberry vanilla fragrance oil, or lavender.

Thanks Newbie. I sure hope you are right! It's going to be a hard 48 hrs to wait to unmold this soap. The top colors looks great; but so far, that's the only encouragement I feel. I have to say it was a great learning experience. The best thing I learned from the experience besides paying closer attention to the technique was that I didn't need to allow so much batter for the middle colors. I could be wrong; but will know for sure when I cut it.For my size mold, I allowed 2.5 to 2.6 oz of batter before the colorant was added for each color and did do4 colors, 3 times each and wound up with more leftover batter than I thought.

I didn't cover each layer with each color, because the demo video only showed her putting a thin, squiggly layer of each color down and the results looked great. Success or not, I really enjoyed participating and tackling the challenge.

PS: Another thing I won't repeat is using those narrow opening squeezy bottles. I have wider topped ones on order and they should be a lot easier to clean and to remove the soap from the bottom and sides at the end.

I don't think catching a little bit of soap from the top would disqualify it, would it? It might look really cool, in fact.

Gave it a try tonight. At least I learned something about the batter consistency. Mine was too fluid. I let it thicken up a little, then I added too much to the first colored layers and couldn't get the third layer of the last color in there. So I just stuck my hanger in there and swirled away. I'll be trying this again, hopefully this first try taught me a thing or two. It's harder than it looks, but seems do-able with a little practice.

Latest posts

Back