SMF Soap Making Challenge October: Hidden Feather Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My feather looks kinda square...So if I like it enough to enter the contest, can I still share it here before the Official thread is created?

Thanks everyone. Yes I'm happy with my crazy skulls. Usually I am one of those that just goes with the flow of what will be will be. I haven't tried an exact pattern yet so I'm not too disappointed in the outcome just my lack of memory in that this one needed more batter
You could label them "A Grateful Dead Halloween":lolno:

New rule in place is asking that people NOT post their entry here before the official entry thread. It's fun to have the suspense of what people will enter and if everyone sees everything beforehand, a lot of the thrill is gone. You'll have to sit on your hands for another week or so!

My second attempt went worse than my first! The sides had began to solidify while I was working on my feather so when I removed the dividers and tried to push the hanger through it collapsed in on itself. Aargh!

1444673911709930488916.jpg

My third attempt is in the mold. I think it went better than the previous two attempts but I really need to make my dividers just a touch bigger. As I filled the center, the dividers pushed out towards the sides. How it worked out, we'll see tomorrow.

Thanks everyone. Yes I'm happy with my crazy skulls. Usually I am one of those that just goes with the flow of what will be will be. I haven't tried an exact pattern yet so I'm not too disappointed in the outcome just my lack of memory in that this one needed more batter

They DO look like skulls! Oh that is awesome! Nicely done!

Soapswirl....the left of the middle row looks a lovely flowerbud!

Looking forward to all the entries!

I'll be making a 2nd try at this challenge...with a different mold & trying it without the dividers to see if i can get a less square look, how many can we enter?

I'm going to try again on Wednesday. Let's see if I can avoid my tendency to over SB LOL

I'm not sure how this one turned out...Iwanted to try without the dividers...so I sprayed rubbing alcohol between the layers...I messed up by adding too much soap to the three feather colors...so I ended up doing the top totally different than i planned, I did encase my feather with the background colors... so this might just be the best thing i could have done for the top lol...Oh and back before I made my first soap i attempted to make a mold I made from silicone putty & a design made from polymer clay, i used it for the first time tonight with the leftovers...I'm hot sticky & sweaty now. hopefully my feather will not be so square... Oh & how many soap designs can we enter into this contest?

Let's see if I can avoid my tendency to over SB LOL

but over stick blending will make sure your batter isn't too thin :) Mine got thick on me, I worked with it...lots of banging the mold to smooth it down till the next layer (the recipe I used tonight has 75% solid oils & I let it cool down too much..I knew better)

so my feather did a slide on my 2nd try, looks like it's fell or is floating...the background I like better as well only I prefer the first one because of the color & I made it in a tall n skinny...thinking of making try number 3...combine the 2 techniques...

I'm going to recycle the mayonaise containers that have a ribbon like squirt bottle opening...to make my hidden feather on my third try.

Back