SMF Soap Making Challenge October: Hidden Feather Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still relatively new to making soaps and was following a recipe. Simple as that.

Here's the link: http://www.soaprecipes101.com/homemade-soap-recipes/borax-handmade-soap-recipe/
Sorry a little off topic, but has anyone been through the town of Boron. You used to ride through the Boron fields on our way to the Laughlin River Run. Not much of a town but it is one huge Lake of Boron. Borox used is also used as a water softener which might be why it was used in soap recipe

My first attempt was a disaster...
I saw my base grey was too dark and I was out of premixed TD white so like an idiot I just put some powder in and used my SB. Even lighter, I think the grey was too dark and didn't show the colors like they should have.
Gigi...are you watching? This one is for you...:oops:

I've done the TD thing before too and it just doesn't work does it?

I can definitely see the feather so a great first attempt

The only thing and it may be that I can't see all your feather colours but don't forget that the actual feather element needs to comprise of at least 3 colours with each featuring at least 3 times.

]1. Snappyllama (woohoo I'm first)
2. Saponista (really looking forward to this!)
3. Commoncenz (If at first you don't succeed ... you're probably soaping)
4. TheDragonGirl (Trying should at least be entertaining)
5. BlackDog (First challenge! Woop!)
6. Rparrny (looking forward to my first!)
7. GalaxyMLP (Ive never done a feather swirl...)
8. osso (...it's been a long week)
9. TwystedPryncess (Oh, Lawd. Just, Oh, Lawd.)
10. dibbles (been on my want to try list for a long time-the time has come)
11. KristaMarie (First challenge and first feather swirl!)
12. doriettefarm (my 2nd feather swirl attempt has to turn out better than the 1st, right?)
13. Newbie (quaking in my shoes as everything's been a bust in the last week.)
14. Green soap (can't believe I am doing this.)
15. skayc1 (I've wanted to try this technique for some time now! Oh and Green Soap & I posted at the same time.)
16. SunWolf (woo hoo, I got an idea...time to build a "tall & skinny" mold)
17. Dillsandwitch (Insert witty line here)
18. traderbren (look out birdies- now my soap can have feathers, too!)
19. KristaY (Yipee! County fair is over so I can soap again! Now to shake off the "feather" nerves....)
20. Kumudini ( finally ordered some regular Palm oil, so can think of making white soap with swirls)
21. Gigi (gonna pour n pray lol)
22. MissChief (I guess I did it wrong the first time... oh well, I'm IN)
23. Mrs. Spaceship (Gonna spread my wings and hope to fly!)
24. mintle (no dividers, no hanger to bend, no very slow moving recipe - scared but I go for it!)
25. Judiraz ( never tried this, should be fun)

1. Snappyllama (woohoo I'm first)

12. doriettefarm (my 2nd feather swirl attempt has to turn out better than the 1st, right?)

15. skayc1 (I've wanted to try this technique for some time now! Oh and Green Soap & I posted at the same time.)

19. KristaY (Yipee! County fair is over so I can soap again! Now to shake off the "feather" nerves....)

20. Kumudini ( finally ordered some regular Palm oil, so can think of making white soap with swirls)

24. mintle (no dividers, no hanger to bend, no very slow moving recipe - scared but I go for it!)

25 JuneP New micas and new Palm oil have arrived and will definitely make time to give this a go in the next day or two.

26. Judiraz ( never tried this, should be fun)

Well, I've made my first attempt and failed dismally. My soap batter was perfect... light trace, just what I wanted. Then I turned around to get my squeeze bottles and when I turned back to my batter, it was at medium trace... within seconds! By the time I got as much as I could into my mold, it was well on its way to being too hard to do anything with. Though I made enough batter to fill my mold, I only managed to get about half of it into the mold. I made my feather anyway and we'll see how it turned out but it's definitely not challenge-worthy. Sigh!

006 by Ev Skae, on Flickr

Sorry a little off topic, but has anyone been through the town of Boron. You used to ride through the Boron fields on our way to the Laughlin River Run. Not much of a town but it is one huge Lake of Boron. Borox used is also used as a water softener which might be why it was used in soap recipe

The husband and I have traveled back and forth between CA and TN a handful of times, and we always drove through the town of Boron (and Barstow) on our way to either I-5 or I-40. It was always interesting seeing the sign for "Twenty Mule Team road".
I think Huel Howser may have even done an episode on California's Gold about the borax plant. It's a very interesting area!

Anyhow, good luck with the contest everyone! Wish I could join ya ... Maybe one of these days! :D

Thanks...I didn't have any of those thing either...my dividers were cardboard and my hanger was...a hanger.

I have a question about that. Do I use a metal hanger? I have no idea what those things are made of. Or did you use a plastic one?

Feather Fail #1. I should not have tried to experiment with my lye concentration when I needed to swirl. On the positive side, I did mush all my soap in the mold, and it smells fantastic.

My first attempt was a disaster...
I saw my base grey was too dark and I was out of premixed TD white so like an idiot I just put some powder in and used my SB. Even lighter, I think the grey was too dark and didn't show the colors like they should have.
Gigi...are you watching? This one is for you...:oops:

LOL yes I'm watching and you're a goofball hahaha. And you did it! I see the feather in it! :)

I already know which soap recipe I'd like to use and have already been planning/considering colours.... which might or might not include a bronze or copper mica.

oooohhh I love bronze and copper colors! Haven't considered looking for a mica in those shades - now you've given me ideas. *skips off to open supplier windows*

ETA - not ideas for this project, lol, I'm not trying to steal your thunder. Just ideas for future reference!

I'm doing a second attempt. At the moment, I'm waiting for my oils and lye mixture to cool. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Blackdog, I'm happy I could inspire. I'm working with a very limited palette; the micas are what I have on hand so....

I've got 3 different ideas in mind mostly because I think it will take that many attempts to deliver something pretty and follow all the rules!

First idea is a spin-off on last month's challenge, I'll use the same FO and mica colors that I had in mind for the Ghirardelli batch but do it feather swirl style. I've been wanting to try this technique with a dark background so a discoloring FO might be just the ticket.

The second idea will be a swashbuckling Halloween themed soap . . . think Black Pearl for both FO and color scheme accented with some M&P skulls on top. Just waiting on my Nurture order to arrive because one of those mica colors is key to pulling this one off.

If I crap out with #1 & #2, then attempt #3 will use a FO that I know plays nice and gives me plenty of swirl time. I may end up using a very similar color combo as the first time I soaped this FO . . . it's bold and calls for rich jewel tones that really pop.

25 JuneP New micas and new Palm oil have arrived and will definitely make time to give this a go in the next day or two.

27. TeresaT (This challenge has to turn out better than my last two challenge disasters. Doesn't it? Please!)

I don't know what FO I will put in mine yet, but surely out of half a cabinet full of FO/EO's I'll have something-- I've been in love with peacock colors lately so I may try those. It depends really what I have on hand, too. Or pick an FO I know won't accelerate and pick colors from there. But I better get started, because I am sure I will have to do this a few times, too. Good thing I have two girls at work who can't get enough soap, I can load them up with mistakes! Yay!

27. TeresaT (This challenge has to turn out better than my last two challenge disasters. Doesn't it? Please!)

28. Jules92207 (So gonna have to McGyver this cause I don't have anything I need to do this as elegantly as Sonya...this should be interesting)

Well, I cut my first attempt at a feather swirl... it's definitely a flop. It has a depth of about 1". There are three different colours but it's nearly impossible to see them. The soap is still very soft even though it was almost too hard to do anything with when I was playing with the technique.

featherfail1 by Ev Skae, on Flickr

featherfail2 by Ev Skae, on Flickr

This batch will be destined for a rebatch of some sort. I'm much happier with my second attempt.

Back