SMF Soap Making Challenge October: Hidden Feather Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So you have a recipe in mind, lemme ask.
Are you a tallow, lard or palm fan? I personally love tallow because it boosts bubbles slightly with my less than 20% coconut oil. I have split tallow and lard 5:3 ratio I believe it is, and I enjoy that as well.

Yes!! The recipe I'm planning on using is a tallow and borax recipe. I've made it once and the bars are pure white and nice and hard. I'm hoping that because it IS so naturally white that it will take the colours well.

I'd share the recipe but I have it bookmarked on my home computer; I'm at work. See what a bad influence you all are? I love it!

I have no issues using animal fats in my soap; I could offer an opinion on using only vegetable products but that's a whole lot more political than I ever intend to get. Let's just put it this way - my favourite food group is meat.... and butter. Yes, definitely butter.

Last edited:
Yes!! The recipe I'm planning on using is a tallow and borax recipe. I've made it once and the bars are pure white and nice and hard. I'm hoping that because it IS so naturally white that it will take the colours well.

I'd share the recipe but I have it bookmarked on my home computer; I'm at work. See what a bad influence you all are? I love it!

I have no issues using animal fats in my soap; I could offer an opinion on using only vegetable products but that's a whole lot more political than I ever intend to get. Let's just put it this way - my favourite food group is meat.... and butter. Yes, definitely butter.

May I ask why you use borax?

1. Snappyllama (woohoo I'm first)
2. Saponista (really looking forward to this!)
3. Commoncenz (If at first you don't succeed ... you're probably soaping)
4. TheDragonGirl (Trying should at least be entertaining)
5. BlackDog (First challenge! Woop!)
6. Rparrny (looking forward to my first!)
7. GalaxyMLP (Ive never done a feather swirl...)
8. osso (...it's been a long week)
9. TwystedPryncess (Oh, Lawd. Just, Oh, Lawd.)
10. dibbles (been on my want to try list for a long time-the time has come)
11. KristaMarie (First challenge and first feather swirl!)
12. doriettefarm (my 2nd feather swirl attempt has to turn out better than the 1st, right?)
13. Newbie (quaking in my shoes as everything's been a bust in the last week.)
14. Green soap (can't believe I am doing this.)
15. skayc1 (I've wanted to try this technique for some time now! Oh and Green Soap & I posted at the same time.)
16. SunWolf (woo hoo, I got an idea...time to build a "tall & skinny" mold)
17. Dillsandwitch (Insert witty line here)
18. traderbren (look out birdies- now my soap can have feathers, too!)
19. KristaY (Yipee! County fair is over so I can soap again! Now to shake off the "feather" nerves....)
20. Kumudini ( finally ordered some regular Palm oil, so can think of making white soap with swirls)
21. Misschief (and I'm IN.... thanks all!!)

:D :thumbup:

Last edited:
Yay! You can now enter the challenge.
BTW, I have an opinion on meat eating, but not gonna offer.

ETA: I just went to your recipe source. I really hope you've moved on from measuring soap ingredients in volume.

Oh yes... not to worry. And I check each recipe before I even think about making it, partially to size the recipe to my mold and just to double check it.

Tried my first attempt at a feather swirl this afternoon...knew it was gonna take a few tries to get it right...
Forgot to color my base so I just added mica and SB...wanted a medium trace figured it would be okay...not...I see some specks and the trace got too thick too quick.
Used my new funnel cups that came yesterday but I'm still a clutz and some of the center color got off to one side...
Had a really hard time finding a hanger that was all wire...but finally found one and did my best to bend it...it was sturdier then most looked and felt like stainless steel.
The really good part of the whole thing was the colors...I was inspired by some bluejays this morning and the color combo of my top swirl looked like bluejay feathers exactly! That part of the failure is a keeper.
I'm pretty sure it will be a reject once it's cut and then I'll post photos sometime next week.
I was a really good learning experience.

Last edited:
Lol you all are such enablers hahaha.... ok I'll try it... no pitchers here yet, but my mail goes to my cousin's house so they could be there and I wouldn't know

12. doriettefarm (my 2nd feather swirl attempt has to turn out better than the 1st, right?)
15. skayc1 (I've wanted to try this technique for some time now! Oh and Green Soap & I posted at the same time.)
19. KristaY (Yipee! County fair is over so I can soap again! Now to shake off the "feather" nerves....)
20. Kumudini ( finally ordered some regular Palm oil, so can think of making white soap with swirls)
21. Gigi (gonna pour n pray lol)

Lol you all are such enablers hahaha.... ok I'll try it... no pitchers here yet, but my mail goes to my cousin's house so they could be there and I wouldn't know
I'm so glad your trying the challenge! Everyone knows we are newbies and are not gonna expect much...we have nowhere to go but up!:mrgreen:

I'm so glad your trying the challenge! Everyone knows we are newbies and are not gonna expect much...we have nowhere to go but up!:mrgreen:

LOL true, it can't get worse than some of my recent ugly soaps. Even if I didn't achieve the beautiful feather, it would still be pretty.

22. MissChief (I guess I did it wrong the first time... oh well, I'm IN)

23. Mrs. Spaceship (Gonna spread my wings and hope to fly!)

24. mintle (no dividers, no hanger to bend, no very slow moving recipe - scared but I go for it!)

My first attempt was a disaster...
I saw my base grey was too dark and I was out of premixed TD white so like an idiot I just put some powder in and used my SB. Even lighter, I think the grey was too dark and didn't show the colors like they should have.
Gigi...are you watching? This one is for you...:oops:

001.jpg

Rparrny, I think it looks great for a first attempt! I don't have dividers or a hangar tool either, but I bet my first attempt doesn't look near that good. We'll see in a couple of days when I have the chance to try it.

24. mintle (no dividers, no hanger to bend, no very slow moving recipe - scared but I go for it!)
25 JuneP New micas and new Palm oil have arrived and will definitely make time to give this a go in the next day or two.

Rparrny, I think it looks great for a first attempt! I don't have dividers or a hangar tool either, but I bet my first attempt doesn't look near that good. We'll see in a couple of days when I have the chance to try it.
Thanks...I didn't have any of those thing either...my dividers were cardboard and my hanger was...a hanger.

Latest posts

Back