SMF November 2019 Challenge - Spin Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's most likely in the aisle with wax paper and aluminum foil. If I remember correctly, it was down on the bottom shelf. Can't get any more specific than that. ;)
That's where it is here in the USA--even to the 'bottom' shelf placement. I was going to mention where stores have them here in hopes that they are the same place where you guys live; apparently they are.

Hmmm. I wonder why I'm not getting alerts for this post even though I'd previously commented in it ...

Hmm just a clarification @earlene do you want us to use at least 2 colors or 2 colorants? I was thinking about a black-white-grey soap, that's 3 colors but only one colorant in different amounts (none- a little- a lot AC) just wondering if that would break the rules;)

Szaza
, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. We had a bit of teen-age drama here regarding papers not turned in, or turned in but teacher said they weren't; that sorta thing. Anyway, I did not check here until this morning.

I think since I put '2 or more colorants' in the Instructions, that I need to stick with that. If you have any TD or white clay, and add that to one of the 3 vessels, then you'd have your 2 colorants.

A black, grey and white spin swirl sounds like it would be very nice and I'd love to see what you come up with. Your first attempt is a nice mix, too.

To all who don't have a small enough slab mold for your desires:

It sounds like you are all on the right track. Although using a loaf mold isn't ideal, if the sides aren't too high for the pour, and you pour is thin enough, and you spin with the jerky motion I mentioned, I do believe it does work. But a mini-slab mold is a better option, IMO for smaller batches.

I found a nice bamboo box at Target a year or two ago that I use as a mini slab mold. It is the perfect size for small batches of soap when I want to test a swirl best done in a slab mold. Unfortunately, I did not bring it with me and ended up doing my second batch in a different mold.
full

Here is a photo of a small cardboard box (lined with freezer paper - on the left) I used to use before I got the bamboo box:
full

1. AMD - Yet another challenge for my fast moving recipe
2. dibbles - Hoping I can do this without slopping batter everywhere!
3. Misschief - This is a technique I want to try again and I MIGHT have time this month..... might.
4. MarnieSoapien - I love spin swirls!! You spin me right round baby...
5. Szaza - this has been on my list for ages! Failed batches here I come!!
6. steffamarie - I’ve been on a bit of a soaping hiatus recently but I’m excited to give this a shot!!
7. Michele50-2 weeks ago my small lazy-Susan arrived from Amazon; it's still in the box, lol. Time to liberate it and give this technique a shot!
8. DKing - This time I will find bottles and give it a go!
9. Primrose - you spin me right round baby right round ..
10. SideDoorSoaps - I hate my slab mold but maybe this might make me like it
11. Bookreader451 - I knew I was saving the boxes for something. McGyver slab here we come.
12. Soapysuds - does it have to be multiple colors? Can I do this with just a few colors, like one? o_O:rolleyes:;)
13. Karmic - Lucky 13!! I'm down for some batter slinging!
14. Mommycarlson - you talked me into it!
12. Kiti Williams - I think I can do this! My soaps are at thin trace because it is easier to pour into the molds.
13. jcandleattic - I'll give it a spin (haha)

Thanks for the clarification @earlene I'll try to come up with a color combo with at least 2 colorants;)

I also wanted to point out a spin swirl seems doable in HP, I only spun the mold 5 times or so, I think with about 10-20 spins the swirl should get better (in case anyone would be crazy enough to try) I soaped very hot and made the batter very fluid by adding a lot of extra water as well as my usual color infused alcohol. I hope it won't morph too much while curing (though I'm quite sure it will).

I had an attempt at this in a loaf mould but found the same, I couldn't get a good enough spin on the loaf. I'll get my slab mould out tomorrow, I just don't like it much haha

I've finally stopped lurking and posted enough I can participate this month!

3. Misschief - This is a technique I want to try again and I MIGHT have time this month..... might.
6. steffamarie - I’ve been on a bit of a soaping hiatus recently but I’m excited to give this a shot!!
7. Michele50-2 weeks ago my small lazy-Susan arrived from Amazon; it's still in the box, lol. Time to liberate it and give this technique a shot!
11. Bookreader451 - I knew I was saving the boxes for something. McGyver slab here we come.
12. Soapysuds - does it have to be multiple colors? Can I do this with just a few colors, like one? o_O:rolleyes:;)
12. Kiti Williams - I think I can do this! My soaps are at thin trace because it is easier to pour into the molds.
13. jcandleattic - I'll give it a spin (haha)
14. Ashleigh - My first challenge!

My first attempt is unmolded and cut. I poured 5 circles, one in the center, and the four corners, alternating with my six colors. My mold is the 9 bar birch from BB. I can't seem to get much movement, making me think a larger mold might be better? And also wondering if I pour more circles, will that give me more color movement in the spin? I've done this technique before, with the same results, can't get much swirl without muddying the outside edges. Looking for some feedback :) Thanks!

Szaza, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. We had a bit of teen-age drama here regarding papers not turned in, or turned in but teacher said they weren't; that sorta thing. Anyway, I did not check here until this morning.

I think since I put '2 or more colorants' in the Instructions, that I need to stick with that. If you have any TD or white clay, and add that to one of the 3 vessels, then you'd have your 2 colorants.

A black, grey and white spin swirl sounds like it would be very nice and I'd love to see what you come up with. Your first attempt is a nice mix, too.

To all who don't have a small enough slab mold for your desires:

It sounds like you are all on the right track. Although using a loaf mold isn't ideal, if the sides aren't too high for the pour, and you pour is thin enough, and you spin with the jerky motion I mentioned, I do believe it does work. But a mini-slab mold is a better option, IMO for smaller batches.

I found a nice bamboo box at Target a year or two ago that I use as a mini slab mold. It is the perfect size for small batches of soap when I want to test a swirl best done in a slab mold. Unfortunately, I did not bring it with me and ended up doing my second batch in a different mold.
full

Here is a photo of a small cardboard box (lined with freezer paper - on the left) I used to use before I got the bamboo box:
full
I am so new to soaping, could you give a measurement to the small box, plus if you could say if you use it for a 1 pound batch or more?

My first attempt is unmolded and cut. I poured 5 circles, one in the center, and the four corners, alternating with my six colors. My mold is the 9 bar birch from BB. I can't seem to get much movement, making me think a larger mold might be better? And also wondering if I pour more circles, will that give me more color movement in the spin? I've done this technique before, with the same results, can't get much swirl without muddying the outside edges. Looking for some feedback :) Thanks!
My first attempt had muddied edges too. I liked the middle part and may use it if my next batch isn't great. I cut off the edges and chopped them for embeds for a loaf.

I have muddy edges on mine too. My batter was beyond light trace by the time I finished pouring and was ready to spin - cocoa butter - what was I thinking. I've only done this technique a couple of times, and it seems that regardless of super light or edging on or at medium trace the edges will get muddy when you spin enough to get movement in the center. I'm hoping to get a chance to try again with barely traced batter to see what happens to it all then.

Do you have a planer? Planing off the top or if the bars are thick enough, cutting in half can often lead to buried treasure. Mine are too soft still to plane, but I did cut the least promising one in half and the inside is quite nice.

Thank you Dibbles and Bookreader. I'm going to try another attempt this weekend, using a bigger slab mold. I did plane the tops off and considered cutting a bar in half. Appreciate the input.

15. Kiti Williams - I thought I had already signed up.

My second attempt is super pretty but accelerated and ended up being a plop into the slab mould, bang the crap out of it and chopstick to salvage. I knew the FO moved quickly but soaped cool and was prepared to work fast. Unfortunately I got distracted, picked up the phone to read a message from my neighbour about her chooks disappearing (they are in my paddock lol) turned back around and oh dear I had medium to heavy trace and hadn't even coloured yet hahahaha

Well - attempt number three will happen once my slab mould is free again

GAH!! Attempt #2 is in the mold, unfortunately it will not qualify. I had just finished stirring my FO into my 5 pitchers when Uncle Roger knocked at the door, I couldn't really ignore him, he was staring right at me :eek: So I let him in and told him I was pouring soap and I couldn't stop. Well, it thickened up, plus the mold was too shallow and I couldn't get any movement in the middle no matter what I tried. I had soap sloshing out the sides in my aggressive attempt to get the center to move. I finally grabbed a chopstick and did some surface swirls and resigned myself to either entering my first attempt, or trying another one. Impeccable timing haha.

ETA, Uncle Roger stayed and watched me make the soap, nothing like having an audience!

Latest posts

Back