SMF November 2019 Challenge - Spin Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol @SoapySuds! I thought about doing Aunt Clara’s technique of using different lye concentrations for a cool ghost swirl effect. Have you ever seen it? Holly at Kapia Mera has a vid on it, too!

Could that count @earlene as different “colors”?

I wasn’t very happy with my first attempt at this. So much ash to trim off.

https://auntieclaras.com/2015/09/the-ghost-swirl/

@SoapySuds Earlene will have the final say, but I think you could do a spin swirl with uncolored batter and one color. If you want more colors but only have one colorant available - let's say cocoa powder - leave part of the batter uncolored and then add varying amounts of cocoa powder to however many portions of the batter as you want for coloring. You could have uncolored, dark brown and a lighter brown.

12. Soapysuds - does it have to be multiple colors? Can I do this with just a few colors, like one? o_O:rolleyes:;)

Two or more colorants are required.

Lol @SoapySuds! I thought about doing Aunt Clara’s technique of using different lye concentrations for a cool ghost swirl effect. Have you ever seen it? Holly at Kapia Mera has a vid on it, too!

Could that count @earlene as different “colors”?

I wasn’t very happy with my first attempt at this. So much ash to trim off.

https://auntieclaras.com/2015/09/the-ghost-swirl/

The first post indicates two or more colorants.
So, no, Ghost Swirl with only one color doesn't meet the requirement.

BUT,
if you want to incorporate a Ghost Swirl in this challenge, use two colors and any combination of high & low water in your design. As long as you use two actual colorants to start.

I have done swirls using the Ghost swirl, although not with the spin swirl. It would probably work, but with some colorants (Red Brick Oxide, specifically, in my experience), the color morphed during the cure and the soap turned solid one color, even though it started out with clearly defined swirls. It did not happen with some other colorants I used, and it was of course, totally unexpected. Just FYI.

Last edited:
Well, nutz.

I was ‘hoping’ that a white on white swirl would count, but apparently I need to be more adventurous. ;)

I have done two versions of this so far.

Both in a gift box lined with Saran Wrap.

The lid was done with a black and light tan color scheme and a woodsy scent. It’s also about as thin as hotel soaps. It started to not be so liquid towards the end but I was able to spin it.

The bottom part I did with three colors, cranberry, green and yellow and twice as much soap batter. It’s a strawberry scent I picked up from a sale, but with my own twist on it. I’ve heard that strawberry doesn’t stick in cp, but it seems to be fine as I cut it at noon and it doesn’t seem to have left the bars, they have that ‘fake’ strawberry note in them. Again, my soap batter started to be a bit firm heading into the spin, but I did have to coax it, and they seem to be ok. I do prefer the black and tan ones.

Lesson one: Saran Wrap protects the box but is super clingy and leaves wrap marks on the soap. Do not use, just cut freezer paper.

I am intrigued by the ghost swirl, must find video and pictures.

Hmm just a clarification @earlene do you want us to use at least 2 colors or 2 colorants? I was thinking about a black-white-grey soap, that's 3 colors but only one colorant in different amounts (none- a little- a lot AC) just wondering if that would break the rules;)

I just put my first attempt in the oven. The colors muddied a little on the sides but we'll see how it looks after I trim it.

I found stacked trays in the craft section of Walmart. They were three for $11.00. My hubby caulked the rope handle holes and I lined it with freezer paper, seemed to work really well. I have a cake decorating turntable so I used that.

We will see how long it takes to come out of the mold, I used a lot of soft oils.

Today I wanted to experiment with a recipe I kind of had to HP (it went to pudding within 1min of blending) and I didn't have a design for it, so I thought I'd go for the impossible HP spin swirl. I'm quite sure it will be a lot more fun to do with CP:p
It's cooling down and I'll post pics later as this most probably won't be my entry. I'm glad I tried it though. It wasn't as bad as I thought (I was able to work fast enough for the batter to stay warm and semi fluid) but let's see how it looks when it's cut (I'm prepared for the worst).

I attempted a loaf mold and failed spectacularly (cutting as indicated by Earlene, so it was not that I cut it wrong). Moving on to a slab mold.

Thanks for the warning @amd ! I was planning on trying it in a loaf as well, but instead I'll try to look for a small slab mold.

@szaza I just couldn't get enough spin on it I think, and it was hard to tell if it was moving all the way through the loaf. The top bars looked decent, but the second and third bars cut (towards the bottom of the loaf) hadn't moved at all.

Cheap solution for a slab mold, I use a Ritz cracker box and remove the face panel, this makes a nice 8x8 inch slab mold. (sorry I know you're in EU but maybe you can find something similar to Ritz crackers) I reinforce the corners with packing tape and double line with freezer paper. Hubby made me a wooden slab mold a few years ago, but I've used it only once because his thought process for unmolding wasn't quite... there. I'll give it another whirl though.

It actually sort of looks like a spin swirl!! :D
I really thought it wouldn't turn out well IMG_20191106_230444.jpg

Thanks for the extra info @amd ! I used a lined square tupperware type box for my first try but the rim was a bit high which made pouring more difficult.
I have a wooden slab which is too big for me and I never use.. a small batch for me is 200-300g (I think about half a pound) of oils, so I really need something small and not too high. I'll check out cracker boxes (and other carton food boxes) thanks for the tip!

Last edited by a moderator:
I also made an attempt in a loaf mold and can confirm, it isn't the best for getting a good swirl. I decided to put a bit of a pattern in the top just to give it some interest. I liked the colours I used, although they look more washed out in this picture. I will be trying again in a bit once I figure out what to use as a slab mold.
spin (2).jpg

1. AMD - Yet another challenge for my fast moving recipe
2. dibbles - Hoping I can do this without slopping batter everywhere!
3. Misschief - This is a technique I want to try again and I MIGHT have time this month..... might.
4. MarnieSoapien - I love spin swirls!! You spin me right round baby...
5. Szaza - this has been on my list for ages! Failed batches here I come!!
6. steffamarie - I’ve been on a bit of a soaping hiatus recently but I’m excited to give this a shot!!
7. Michele50-2 weeks ago my small lazy-Susan arrived from Amazon; it's still in the box, lol. Time to liberate it and give this technique a shot!
8. DKing - This time I will find bottles and give it a go!
9. Primrose - you spin me right round baby right round ..
10. SideDoorSoaps - I hate my slab mold but maybe this might make me like it
11. Bookreader451 - I knew I was saving the boxes for something. McGyver slab here we come.
12. Soapysuds - does it have to be multiple colors? Can I do this with just a few colors, like one? o_O:rolleyes:;)
13. Karmic - Lucky 13!! I'm down for some batter slinging!
14. Mommycarlson - you talked me into it!
12. Kiti Williams - I think I can do this! My soaps are at thin trace because it is easier to pour into the molds.

I also made an attempt in a loaf mold and can confirm, it isn't the best for getting a good swirl. I decided to put a bit of a pattern in the top just to give it some interest. I liked the colours I used, although they look more washed out in this picture. I will be trying again in a bit once I figure out what to use as a slab mold. View attachment 42413

I used a small gift box, a little bit wider than a typical shoe box and lined it with Saran Wrap. I should have used the freezer paper instead.

If you have a shoe box or small squareish gift box, it’s good for about 2lbs of oils

I also made an attempt in a loaf mold and can confirm, it isn't the best for getting a good swirl. I decided to put a bit of a pattern in the top just to give it some interest. I liked the colours I used, although they look more washed out in this picture. I will be trying again in a bit once I figure out what to use as a slab mold. View attachment 42413
Love your colours!

I used a small gift box, a little bit wider than a typical shoe box and lined it with Saran Wrap. I should have used the freezer paper instead.

If you have a shoe box or small squareish gift box, it’s good for about 2lbs of oils

I was thinking I might use this box I got from Amazon that looks like it would be a good size. I just have to find some freezer paper. I have used parchment paper before and it worked, but wasn't the greatest as it left ripples in the soap. So time to find freezer paper.

@Misschief Do you know where I might find some freezer paper around town? I have looked in a few grocery stores and either I am missing it in my search, or it isn't there. Maybe Michaels?

I was thinking I might use this box I got from Amazon that looks like it would be a good size. I just have to find some freezer paper. I have used parchment paper before and it worked, but wasn't the greatest as it left ripples in the soap. So time to find freezer paper.

@Misschief Do you know where I might find some freezer paper around town? I have looked in a few grocery stores and either I am missing it in my search, or it isn't there. Maybe Michaels?
I get mine at Save-On. I don't remember which aisle I found it in but they do carry it.

Latest posts

Back