SMF November 2019 Challenge - Spin Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am so new to soaping, could you give a measurement to the small box, plus if you could say if you use it for a 1 pound batch or more?

Denise, It measures 9 inches by - let me look; it's in my media section - 9 inches by 6 inches by 2 inches. (external measurements) How much batter to use depends on how thick you want the soap. For a spin swirl, I would not fill such a mold to the top as it would spill out with the spinning, so 1 inch thick or so would be best.

As to the batch size, this would make approximately a pound and a half of soap at 1 inch thick. For calculations, of course, one needs to measure the inside of the mold, but I don't have it with me, so I guesstimating the approximate measurements for calculation. Using the standard dimensions times each other, then times 0.42, the amount of oil would be somewhere around 18 or 19 ounces of oil, which pretty much comes out to about 500 grams, which is, I believe what I used the last time I used the mold, and the total batch size would be around 750 grams, which is about a pound and a half or more, depending on lye concentration.

Uhg...second attempt total fail. So pretty in pink and purple micas and smells so delish scented with All Souls Day by Nurture. Things moved way too fast and I think I had some slight ricing. I tried to spin swirl and soap came flying out of the mold! So I just chopstick swirled and I’ll hope for the best tomorrow when I unfold. Looks like my first attempt is gonna be entered because I hate slab molds. Here’s a pic of my soap plops.

Attachments

• C7721339-B967-4118-836F-26528015474F.jpeg
    C7721339-B967-4118-836F-26528015474F.jpeg
    122.3 KB · Views: 39
I was able to get it to swirl in the middle, not wispy swirls by any means, but swirls nonetheless.

I picked up my slab mold and lost my grip a wee bit, this made the batter squelch to one of the unpoured corners, I caught it and over adjusted - this caused the center to do a dance that got the center kind mixed differently.

SideDoorSoaps, Uhg...second attempt total fail. So pretty in pink and purple micas and smells so delish scented with All Souls Day by Nurture. Things moved way too fast and I think I had some slight ricing. I tried to spin swirl and soap came flying out of the mold! So I just chopstick swirled and I’ll hope for the best tomorrow when I unfold. Looks like my first attempt is gonna be entered because I hate slab molds. Here’s a pic of my soap plops.

That is some angry looking soap! I bet it will be pretty on the cut sides!

Last edited by a moderator:
Denise, It measures 9 inches by - let me look; it's in my media section - 9 inches by 6 inches by 2 inches. (external measurements) How much batter to use depends on how thick you want the soap. For a spin swirl, I would not fill such a mold to the top as it would spill out with the spinning, so 1 inch thick or so would be best.

As to the batch size, this would make approximately a pound and a half of soap at 1 inch thick. For calculations, of course, one needs to measure the inside of the mold, but I don't have it with me, so I guesstimating the approximate measurements for calculation. Using the standard dimensions times each other, then times 0.42, the amount of oil would be somewhere around 18 or 19 ounces of oil, which pretty much comes out to about 500 grams, which is, I believe what I used the last time I used the mold, and the total batch size would be around 750 grams, which is about a pound and a half or more, depending on lye concentration.

Thank you so much for your reply! Very informative, I need to get or make a slab mold so I can try some beautiful swirls.

Thank you so much for your reply! Very informative, I need to get or make a slab mold so I can try some beautiful swirls.
I picked up trays from the Walmart craft section. It was a set of three for about $11.00. There were rope handles but my husband caulked the holes for me. I lined it with freezer paper (after a youtube on how to do that ;))

I want to get a few tries in before I officially say I'm signing up. I do not want a repeat of my last two challenges, where I signed up but never got an entry in.

But first.. Finding a deep enough slab mold that won't have soap spilling put the sides when I spin.

I want to get a few tries in before I officially say I'm signing up. I do not want a repeat of my last two challenges, where I signed up but never got an entry in.

But first.. Finding a deep enough slab mold that won't have soap spilling put the sides when I spin.

Mine isn't that deep. I think it is about 3 inches. I did a 2lbs batch and the soap ended up a little over an inch high. It didn't slosh but the edges got muddy. I cut those of and the inside was fabulous. I used it in chunks as a confetti soap. At work so no pics, but I was happy with both attempts.

Uhg...second attempt total fail. So pretty in pink and purple micas and smells so delish scented with All Souls Day by Nurture. Things moved way too fast and I think I had some slight ricing. I tried to spin swirl and soap came flying out of the mold! So I just chopstick swirled and I’ll hope for the best tomorrow when I unfold. Looks like my first attempt is gonna be entered because I hate slab molds. Here’s a pic of my soap plops.

I have that FO and I love it out of the bottle but haven't found the courage to try it because it says it has "medium" acceleration. Which in my case probably means "almost immediate acceleration" lol. I'm sorry for your fail but thank you so much for proving my theory right. I appreciate your sacrifice.

I haven't gotten to attempt this yet. I've been trying to find something suitable to use as a slab mold since I don't need a 5 lb one yet. I have a metal baking pan that would be perfect buy my only concern is that I fear it's made of aluminum. And while I'd have to line it with freezer paper anyway to get the soap out I'm worried about spillage or possible improper lining that raw batter might seep through and cause a catastrophe. So the hunt for a good mold that isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg continues

Last night when I was making dinner, using the newly sharpened, biggest knife I have I cut right through my nail. The cut is lengthwise at about 1/3 of the width of the nail. I wanted another try at this challenge, but time will tell. I think I may be able to get a large glove over the gauze and bandage in a day or two. If not, I'll enter my first attempt. Ow, Ow, Ow - at least it's on my left hand, but it is my index finger. Lots of adapting.

I have that FO and I love it out of the bottle but haven't found the courage to try it because it says it has "medium" acceleration. Which in my case probably means "almost immediate acceleration" lol. I'm sorry for your fail but thank you so much for proving my theory right. I appreciate your sacrifice.

I haven't gotten to attempt this yet. I've been trying to find something suitable to use as a slab mold since I don't need a 5 lb one yet. I have a metal baking pan that would be perfect buy my only concern is that I fear it's made of aluminum. And while I'd have to line it with freezer paper anyway to get the soap out I'm worried about spillage or possible improper lining that raw batter might seep through and cause a catastrophe. So the hunt for a good mold that isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg continues

How about using that FO in a HP batch?

Last night when I was making dinner, using the newly sharpened, biggest knife I have I cut right through my nail. The cut is lengthwise at about 1/3 of the width of the nail. I wanted another try at this challenge, but time will tell. I think I may be able to get a large glove over the gauze and bandage in a day or two. If not, I'll enter my first attempt. Ow, Ow, Ow - at least it's on my left hand, but it is my index finger. Lots of adapting.
Ewwww...I know that hurt. Sorry for the mishap. I hope it heals quickly for you.

I'm so sorry to hear about your finger @dibbles.. it sounds very painful:eek:
Hope it heals quickly so you can soap without a painful finger holding you back

I'm so sorry to hear about your finger @dibbles.. it sounds very painful:eek:
Hope it heals quickly so you can soap without a painful finger holding you back
Thank you. It's going to be awhile before it heals. But where there's a will there's a way.

Ouch. Hope you heal quickly!
Thank you :)

Dibbles, are we going to have to hide all the sharp things to keep you safe?! See if you can use some super glue to seal the nail, I do this all the time on cuts in weird places.
Hiding sharp things never seems to work. I manage to find them.

How about using that FO in a HP batch?
I've never done HP but it would probably be great for that. That or I'd save it for a layered batch or something that acceleration would be a little more helpful for. It's a great scent I'd definitely recommend it.

Finally got myself a smaller slab mold to try this out! I have to work tonight but gonna give it a shot tomorrow when I get home from work

**edit somehow I doubled the quote lol

OMG, dibbles, that sounds horribly scary! I cut through my nails now and again, but thankfully, only the nail and not the fingertip. I am so sorry you are dealing with this. It is very difficult losing full use of a digit while you wait for it to heal.

@earlene it is indeed a challenge figuring out how to do things without the use of my index finger, including cuddling the dog who of course doesn't know he needs to be careful. But I'm getting along well enough. I have a feeling it is going to take a long time to fully heal, so I have to learn to adapt. Lesson learned the hard way (again).

Latest posts

Back