SMF January Challenge Black and White

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Left overs from batch 1, spoonswirled in a mini pringles can. The main batch is a keeper but I am not sure how competitive it will be. I expect we'll see some pretty cool soaps in this challenge.

It's stunning, looks like a starry, dark sky to me ☺

So yesterday I slipped on the ice and thought I broke my wrist. Thankfully, it is only a bad sprain, but there will be no soaping going on here for awhile. I'm glad I had one attempt at this anyway, and I hope I'll be able to do one more before the deadline. I had some batter left over from my attempt so thought I'd try to make a rimmed soap in a single cavity mold. Not too successful, but it sort of worked so I thought I'd post a picture. I can't clean it up too much and make it pretty, but I think it will hold together anyway.

Rimmed Attempt 1.jpg

That's just awesome dibbles! I think it looks terrific. So sorry about the fall and I'm really glad it's not broken but boy can sprains hurt. I hope you heal quickly so you can get back to black and white soaping. :)

1. TheDragonGirl (this should be fun!)

2. Dixiedragon (houndstooth, y'all, my fellow Alabamians get it)

3. BlackDog (just finished my first one! Ice storm here today, so.....)

4. Seawolfe - woop woop!

5. MySoapyHeart (would love to do this, now that I am "old" enough to participate in challenges in here

6. Newbie- so many options, so many option. Preparing for many batches of classic B&W

7. dibbles - can't wait to see what people come up with!

8. Snappyllama - perfect soap challenge to start the new year... so many possibilities!

9. AMD - I've been told I'm a very black & white person

10. rainycityjen - all in

11. Sweetbubbletreat

12. Misschief (thinking, thinking... )

13. Judiraz- lots of ideas, but I think it's going to be a tough one!*

14. DeeAnna- She says the color has gotta be black, really black. Oh, dear, I've only gotten to gray so far ...

15. KCHaystack - Glad we do not have to compete against Saponista... Cause the soap from her video was amazing

16. Steve85569 - I'm in again! I still have people to give soap to...

17. jules92207 - my favorite soap colors!!! Can't flipping wait.*

18. luebella - there, you're IN!... you're welcome.*

19. CaraBou - ready to be skunked

20. PenelopeJane-Black isn't a colour is it? I hope not, cos I can't do colours.

21. McGraysoldtowngifts

22. traderbren- Back in black, I hit the sack, I've been too long I'm glad to be back

23. Sonya-m - wonder if I'll actually find the time to soap this month?!?

24. TBandCW - Just made my b & w yesterday! Is this a sign??

25. Songwind - I'm in.

26. GalaxyMLP- I'm gonna make time

27. WildcraftGarden - Yay! First challenge. ☺

28. Seven - i think this one i can do ��

29. Soapswirl - just made my first attempt, how I love cleaning up black oxide....

30. Deedles - I think I can...I think I can!

31. commoncenz - The perfect way to get my soaping mojo back and return to the forum after dealing with many issues at home last month

32. mintle - I am in!!

33. Mrs Spaceship - I can do this! (I think)

34. Lionprincess00- I'm in!

35. KristaY - Perfect for getting my soapy groove back on!

One of my bars had dark gray instead of the black I prefer, but I asked Saponista and she said that as a color was okay because it was dark enough, distinct from the white and not due to mixing. If you like your soap otherwise, just send her a pic and she'll tell you if it's acceptable.

Wow, dibbles, way to soap one handed!!! Very nice!

Black and white soaping ... with a purple, green, and yellow wrist. :) I hope your wrist recovers quickly, Dibbles. If this is what you can do with your hand in a sling, I'm seriously impressed!

I didn't do that one handed. It was before my fall. I poured the leftover batter into the bottom of a mold and cut strips as soon as it was cool. Lots of cracking when I tried to put the strips into the cavity mold, so I put it in the oven to soften enough to squish it together better. Then made a small batch for the middle. For once I think the picture looks better than the real thing. Thanks for the encouragement. I am already beyond bored. 4 hours to Downton.

I didn't do that one handed. It was before my fall. I poured the leftover batter into the bottom of a mold and cut strips as soon as it was cool. Lots of cracking when I tried to put the strips into the cavity mold, so I put it in the oven to soften enough to squish it together better. Then made a small batch for the middle. For once I think the picture looks better than the real thing. Thanks for the encouragement. I am already beyond bored. 4 hours to Downton.

Here's hoping you heal quickly.
I was feeling real bad. Thought you were gonna stomp my attempts one handedly.:mrgreen:

1. TheDragonGirl (this should be fun!)

2. Dixiedragon (houndstooth, y'all, my fellow Alabamians get it)

3. BlackDog (just finished my first one! Ice storm here today, so.....)

4. Seawolfe - woop woop!

5. MySoapyHeart (would love to do this, now that I am "old" enough to participate in challenges in here

6. Newbie- so many options, so many option. Preparing for many batches of classic B&W

7. dibbles - can't wait to see what people come up with!

8. Snappyllama - perfect soap challenge to start the new year... so many possibilities!

9. AMD - I've been told I'm a very black & white person

10. rainycityjen - all in

11. Sweetbubbletreat

12. Misschief (thinking, thinking... )

13. Judiraz- lots of ideas, but I think it's going to be a tough one!*

14. DeeAnna- She says the color has gotta be black, really black. Oh, dear, I've only gotten to gray so far ...

15. KCHaystack - Glad we do not have to compete against Saponista... Cause the soap from her video was amazing

16. Steve85569 - I'm in again! I still have people to give soap to...

17. jules92207 - my favorite soap colors!!! Can't flipping wait.*

18. luebella - there, you're IN!... you're welcome.*

19. CaraBou - ready to be skunked

20. PenelopeJane-Black isn't a colour is it? I hope not, cos I can't do colours.

21. McGraysoldtowngifts

22. traderbren- Back in black, I hit the sack, I've been too long I'm glad to be back

23. Sonya-m - wonder if I'll actually find the time to soap this month?!?

24. TBandCW - Just made my b & w yesterday! Is this a sign??

25. Songwind - I'm in.

26. GalaxyMLP- I'm gonna make time

27. WildcraftGarden - Yay! First challenge. ☺

28. Seven - i think this one i can do ��

29. Soapswirl - just made my first attempt, how I love cleaning up black oxide....

30. Deedles - I think I can...I think I can!

31. commoncenz - The perfect way to get my soaping mojo back and return to the forum after dealing with many issues at home last month

32. mintle - I am in!!

33. Mrs Spaceship - I can do this! (I think)

34. Lionprincess00- I'm in!

35. KristaY - Perfect for getting my soapy groove back on!

36. JuneP - Time for me to stop grieving for a bit, and make some soap. Sounds like a good one to try with my Black Raspberry F.O.

It's a new years miracle!

I actually got what I wanted while making soap for a challenge. I mean, my black could be blacker and my white could be whiter... I do realize that's kinda the main part of this challenge, but I'll take my personal victory and run with it.

Well the first attempt is ok but not the best it could be so I am sharing the attempt and will try again once I get some more charcoal powder.

I used the following recipe

52 % lard
20% coconut oil
20% Olive oil
8 % caster oil

The batch made 32 ounces and then I used 16 ounces of goats milk melt and pour soap to make the embeds and then placed 16 ounces on the top layer.

IMG_20160103_214511.jpg

IMG_20160103_214549.jpg

Last edited:
Black is the absence of any color so you're inthe clear, Penelope. You just have to put in magic activated charcoal to erase all the color. ;)

I had my first bust. WIll post pics later but have to get the dog to the vets.

Will activated charcoal turn my lovely new, white grout in the bathroom tiles grey?

Does it stick in the soap? DH is worried. :confused:

Latest posts

Back