SMF April 2020 Challenge - Strainer Pour/Pull Through Technique

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm so I have planed my little heart out (did I mention I don't actually have a planer??o_O), the ITPS I posted the other day wasn't saveable at all, though it smells delightful. BB coastal rain. It will still be a nice soap. A couple of the others show some sort of patterns which aren't too bad. No pictures yet until I decide which is my entry

The batch I unmolded yesterday was as bad as I thought. It smells great, but looks like sludge. I will see if my tool thing gets here on time. If not I will enter my first batch that has some pull through from my tipped strainer.

The batch I unmolded yesterday was as bad as I thought. It smells great, but looks like sludge. I will see if my tool thing gets here on time. If not I will enter my first batch that has some pull through from my tipped strainer.

I planed half my batch away and got some reasonable bars, though I now have an absurd pile of confetti ...

I am so much in limbo right now, that I have trouble figuring out how I will spend my day from one to the next. Making soap would be such a pleasure and such a release, I really wish I could join this challenge! My one steady thing, though is that I can walk my cat each morning and that gives me so much pleasure.

1. Atiz. This looks like so much fun and I need some more excuse to make soap.
2. jcandleattic - this was going to be my next soap this week anyway, might as well enter it.
3. Misschief - been wanting to try this. Now, I have no excuse.
4. Bookreader451 - just note my results may differ :p
5. msunnerstood - I'm going to try this with fluid HP.
6. szaza - let's see if I can PULL this one off, my mind is POURING over with ideas (no? Too much? Ok..)
7. MarnieSoapien- I can't wait!! Time to get some Pringles :)
8. Rogue-Soaper- "I would love to try this one looks like fun.
9. Mobjack Bay - HOLEY MOLEY I have an idea!
10. Jersey Girl- OK...after combing the house for a week I have finally found something I can use to try this technique!
11. Anstarx-I tried this once before with half success, time to try again!
12. SoapSisters - My first SMF challenge!
13. Primrose - I will never look at the sink strainer the same way again!
14. Glendam- I have been meaning to try this technique again, this motivates me!
15. AMD

I wasn't going to signup, I didn't think I would have time, but someone put a bug in my ear, and I think I can give it one go. I just hope my makeshift strainer works out ok.

1. Atiz. This looks like so much fun and I need some more excuse to make soap.
2. jcandleattic - this was going to be my next soap this week anyway, might as well enter it.
3. Misschief - been wanting to try this. Now, I have no excuse.
4. Bookreader451 - just note my results may differ :p
5. msunnerstood - I'm going to try this with fluid HP.
6. szaza - let's see if I can PULL this one off, my mind is POURING over with ideas (no? Too much? Ok..)
7. MarnieSoapien- I can't wait!! Time to get some Pringles :)
8. Rogue-Soaper- "I would love to try this one looks like fun.
9. Mobjack Bay - HOLEY MOLEY I have an idea!
10. Jersey Girl- OK...after combing the house for a week I have finally found something I can use to try this technique!
11. Anstarx-I tried this once before with half success, time to try again!
12. SoapSisters - My first SMF challenge!
13. Primrose - I will never look at the sink strainer the same way again!
14. Glendam- I have been meaning to try this technique again, this motivates me!
15. AMD -I wasn't going to signup, I didn't think I would have time, but someone put a bug in my ear, and I think I can give it one go. I just hope my makeshift strainer works out ok.
16. AliOop - I wasn't going to sign up either, but since I was planning to try my first strainer pour this weekend anyway, why not?

I have been very interested in all the soaps shown and this technique so I attempted it with what I have even though I don't have enough posts to actually enter the challenge. This is only my about my 7th batch of soap total, so I am using what I have here at home...including coloring and "molds".

I wanted to use two different molds to try a little variation, so I used an old Velveeta cheese plastic cover lined with freezer paper and a circular sour cream container. I decided to use cocoa and turmeric for two of the colors and the plain soap for the other. I couldn't find anything to pull through, so my daughter used some jewelry wire she had to make a little shape in the bottom of the sour cream container. I didn't think it would make much difference, but thought I would try anyway. I used a wide-tooth comb to pull through the Velveeta container (that didn't fit the challenge rules , but it was all I could find!)

I am attaching photos of the soap right after pouring and pulling through and after I cut it yesterday evening.

IMG_20200415_160942264.jpgIMG_20200415_160957528.jpgIMG_20200417_070824031.jpgIMG_20200417_071018126.jpgIMG_20200417_071030568.jpg
I learned a lot. I really want to go to a thrift store and start looking for stuff to modify and use for "pull throughs" and to use for possible molds. All those are closed right now due to COVID-19. My comb attempt was really pitiful - I would have been better off using a coat hanger or something. Plus I needed to cut the soap perpendicular to the comb's movement to get more movement in the soap.

I also want to learn more about colors and the best way to use them. My daughter got some Lavender EO and I would really like to make a green/purple/white soap but my pantry has nothing that would work for those. More research to do!

This was fun! I am pleased with my attempts and they will work really well for us!
Bari

With time running out, I think I’m going to go for broke, make 3 or 4 different batches this weekend, and hope one of them turns out well enough to enter.
I have been very interested in all the soaps shown and this technique so I attempted it with what I have even though I don't have enough posts to actually enter the challenge. This is only my about my 7th batch of soap total, so I am using what I have here at home...including coloring and "molds".

I wanted to use two different molds to try a little variation, so I used an old Velveeta cheese plastic cover lined with freezer paper and a circular sour cream container. I decided to use cocoa and turmeric for two of the colors and the plain soap for the other. I couldn't find anything to pull through, so my daughter used some jewelry wire she had to make a little shape in the bottom of the sour cream container. I didn't think it would make much difference, but thought I would try anyway. I used a wide-tooth comb to pull through the Velveeta container (that didn't fit the challenge rules , but it was all I could find!)

I am attaching photos of the soap right after pouring and pulling through and after I cut it yesterday evening.

View attachment 45179View attachment 45180View attachment 45181View attachment 45182View attachment 45183
I learned a lot. I really want to go to a thrift store and start looking for stuff to modify and use for "pull throughs" and to use for possible molds. All those are closed right now due to COVID-19. My comb attempt was really pitiful - I would have been better off using a coat hanger or something. Plus I needed to cut the soap perpendicular to the comb's movement to get more movement in the soap.

I also want to learn more about colors and the best way to use them. My daughter got some Lavender EO and I would really like to make a green/purple/white soap but my pantry has nothing that would work for those. More research to do!

This was fun! I am pleased with my attempts and they will work really well for us!
Bari
Very nice Bari - thanks for sharing your attempts and results. I think they turned out very nicely and you did a great job finding things to use. 😊

I was feeling pretty confident this morning after unmolding a soap that I like, but wanted to try two more ideas today. Ugh. BOTH of the batches I made accelerated :hairpulling:, possibly due to the EOs. I‘ll be cutting it close, but I think I’m going to try at least one of the ideas again tomorrow night.

Yeah... I thought I still had a couple of days before the entry thread opened. So, I'll be making a batch tomorrow and maybe the day after.

Latest posts

Back