SMF April 2020 Challenge - Strainer Pour/Pull Through Technique

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The colander I used is just a cheap plastic one I picked up at the grocery store. It doesn't have to stay in contact with the batter for too long. The colander is a hard, rigid plastic. If you think about something like disposable plastic spoons - they are fine for a short time in soap batter. I would be suspect of something that is flexible or vinyl. If your salad spinner is something you don't want to accidently damage, I wouldn't use it. I hope this helps.
Thank you! This helps. I was just watching Marie Nadeau’s first video and that was kind of messy :) But I think this'll be fine. And if not, one less thing to move in June....

I am obsessed with my new e

I was wondering about a colander in a slab mold.
That is perfectly fine!

Thank you! This helps. I was just watching Marie Nadeau’s first video and that was kind of messy :) But I think this'll be fine. And if not, one less thing to move in June....
I'm pretty sure it will be fine as well. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Atiz. This looks like so much fun and I need some more excuse to make soap.
2. jcandleattic - this was going to be my next soap this week anyway, might as well enter it.
3. Misschief - been wanting to try this. Now, I have no excuse.
4. Bookreader451 - just note my results may differ :p
5. msunnerstood - I'm going to try this with fluid HP.
6. szaza - let's see if I can PULL this one off, my mind is POURING over with ideas (no? Too much? Ok..)
7. MarnieSoapien- I can't wait!! Time to get some Pringles :)

2. jcandleattic - this was going to be my next soap this week anyway, might as well enter it.
6. szaza - let's see if I can PULL this one off, my mind is POURING over with ideas (no? Too much? Ok..)
8. Rogue-Soaper- "I would love to try this one looks like fun.

Has anyone used a strainer like this?
normal_5a280f5d33e0a_vergiet-100-gaten-groen.jpg

It's the only thing I have at the moment, but I'm a bit sceptical of how well it'll work.

It's the only thing I have at the moment, but I'm a bit sceptical of how well it'll work.
Oh we used to have a strainer exactly like that one at my parents house! Brings back some good memories.
I would think it would be usable if your batter was very thin; otherwise you may have a harder time pouring it through. (But I've never done this before so definitely not an expert.)

9. Mobjack Bay - HOLEY MOLEY I have an idea!

It should work I think. Mine has slits rather than holes (like the sink strainer in my picture) so the pattern you get will most likely be different. There are lots of strainer pour videos on YouTube made by acrylic artists. That might give you some ideas.

1. Sign Up List:
    10. Jersey Girl- OK...after combing the house for a week I have finally found something I can use to try this technique!

I haven't even attempted my first go yet. Maybe this weekend. I've got the mold, strainers and recipe sorted, I just need to figure out colors.

I made my first batch today. I pulled up a stainless shower drain with fishing wire and popsicle sticks. It thickened on me near the end so we shall see.

If it stinks I will try using a colander in a slab.

10. Jersey Girl- OK...after combing the house for a week I have finally found something I can use to try this technique!
11. Anstarx-I tried this once before with half success, time to try again!

12. SoapSisters - My first SMF challenge!

13. Primrose - I will never look at the sink strainer the same way again!

13. Primrose - I will never look at the sink strainer the same way again!
14. Glendam- I have been meaning to try this technique again, this motivates me!

*cue deep narrator's voice-over*

"And this was the moment where Primrose watched her meticulously layered ITPS, possibly the most beautiful one she'd ever achieved, in combat against an accelerating but delicious FO, become muddied and shredded to pieces when poured through a colander"

20200411_130431.jpg

Well I think it's safe to say this one ISNT going to be my entry! Hahahahaha

I was the prettiest thing ever in the pot until I poured it through the colander. Note to self. Oh well, it smells divine.

Here's the last of the batter scraped from my swirled pot, which shows a little hint of the beautifulness it could have been ... lol

20200411_130441.jpg

*cue deep narrator's voice-over*

"And this was the moment where Primrose watched her meticulously layered ITPS, possibly the most beautiful one she'd ever achieved, in combat against an accelerating but delicious FO, become muddied and shredded to pieces when poured through a colander"

View attachment 45060

Well I think it's safe to say this one ISNT going to be my entry! Hahahahaha

I was the prettiest thing ever in the pot until I poured it through the colander. Note to self. Oh well, it smells divine.

Here's the last of the batter scraped from my swirled pot, which shows a little hint of the beautifulness it could have been ... lol

View attachment 45061
Ah, so beautiful colors in the last picture! Maybe some of it will show up on the bottom of the slab??

Latest posts

Back