SMF April 2019 Challenge - Soap Cupcakes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thank you, for the link, j. I may splurge so granddaughter can have special cupcakes. As it is, I think she's going to be getting at least two of the four cupcake soaps I made. I await the experience of bathing with a cupcake, as I have never done so and was wondering how it works out to use a food-like soap in the bath. Perhaps it would be a good soap to bring along for a spa weekend or something like that; very decadent. We shall see.

So is it mean to give cupcake soap to diabetics? My DIL was recently diagnosed and I'm not sure if it's nice or mean to give her a cupcake soap.

Thank you, for the link, j. I may splurge so granddaughter can have special cupcakes. As it is, I think she's going to be getting at least two of the four cupcake soaps I made. I await the experience of bathing with a cupcake, as I have never done so and was wondering how it works out to use a food-like soap in the bath. Perhaps it would be a good soap to bring along for a spa weekend or something like that; very decadent. We shall see.

So is it mean to give cupcake soap to diabetics? My DIL was recently diagnosed and I'm not sure if it's nice or mean to give her a cupcake soap.

That is a really good question. Maybe it's fine if the soap doesn't look too real... I don't know, make it a scent that everyone should know is not standard in a cupcake. :p

1. earlene - I bought some silicone cupcake molds sometime back - now to find them so I can give this a try
2. steffamarie - about time I entered a challenge!!
3. Primrose - mmmmmm cupcakes ...
4. Artemis - now I want some real cupcakes... Or at least Choco frosting!
5. Amy78130 - So fun!!!
6. Terri- Going to try to find some time to do this!
7. jcandleattic - I love making cupcakes - Not sure I'll have time since I'm out of the country for a while but will try.
8. Cherrydene Soapy. I have only cupcakes once and they looked like poo but I will have anothergo. Hope I entered properly x
9. Cal43- Never made one but, this is what learning all about
10. Atihcnoc - I've never made cupcakes, but I've always wanted to try it, it would be the first time. :)
11. MarnieSoapien - I could use the piping practice. I'm not sure I'll have a chance as I'm current out of the country.
12. SunRiseArts - if there is time, I would like to vote!

Thank you!!:dance: .....Congratulations to all the participants, we are..... all winners!! :winner: the cupcakes were beautifull!! and it was a lot of fun!!

Well done everyone :D thank you amd for hosting the challenge, I am going to try more piping for sure but as someone else mentioned probably just for the top of loafs rather than cupcakes themselves. I also had never heard of russian tips before, and I've now got some but havent tried them yet. Thank you for the inspiration!

Bring on the May challenge :D

I also had never heard of russian tips before, and I've now got some but havent tried them yet.
I've had some for several years and still haven't tried them - I'm such a scaredy cat! Although I'm feeling a bit more confident about getting soap batter in a piping bag since using the plastic wrap trick that Earlene shared, I get hardly any air bubbles in my piping now. I was always worried about not getting color placed where it should be for the piping to look nice and then air bubbles ruining it. I think I have the confidence to give them a whirl too!

I've had some for several years and still haven't tried them - I'm such a scaredy cat! Although I'm feeling a bit more confident about getting soap batter in a piping bag since using the plastic wrap trick that Earlene shared, I get hardly any air bubbles in my piping now. I was always worried about not getting color placed where it should be for the piping to look nice and then air bubbles ruining it. I think I have the confidence to give them a whirl too!

IMO the Russian tips are no more challenging than regular tips.
The trick to them is to not angle your bag/tip when piping and pull straight up. Once you get that, it's easy (ish) LOL

I forgot Earlene's trick with the plastic wrap on these cupcakes, but with the triple coupler I was having a hard enough time, I didn't need to add an unknown in as well. LOL

Oooh a triple coupler! You fancy girl! :) I used Earlene's trick to do tricolor frosting on the cupcakes:
upload_2019-5-1_15-55-39.png

These were wet, so the distinction between the blue and purple isn't good. For some crazy reason I don't have a picture of the unmolded cupcakes... Hmm... Anyways, the trick worked really well to place the frosting in three lines on plastic wrap and then roll it into the bundle. [excuse the messy mold, this was the weird FO that accelerated, riced, and then decelerated on me, so I had a difficult time getting it into the base mold, and then by the time I frosted the batter had decelerated and was gloopy on me, so my piping is a bit wonky on some of them.]

Here's a pic of the triple coupler, the first time I used it a couple years ago, I had no trouble but have since forgotten how to work it so I was winging it. LOL
triple coupler.jpg

Here's another picture of a few more bars of my embedded cupcake soap. I'm happy enough with it but as you can see the FO misbehaved and has left me with yellow and brown spots. No matter, my family enjoys getting the rejects LOL I will probably repeat this with a better behaved FO because apart from being a several step process, it's quite simple and easy for a more fancy looking soap. I'll have to research more ways to do the frosting on the cupcakes, I just layered two colours into the piping bag and used a standard sort of tip and did a spiral.

20190502_075258.jpg

Back