Small Town Sources for Soap Supplies

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomekeepingGran

Reaction score
So I live in a small town in Texas. It's not particularly an artsy community but more ranching and such. I didn't have a huge problem finding lye, although if I start buying a lot of small jars of it the law may come visit me, I guess. There is a health food store which has a decent selection of EOs so I am OK there. I'll pick up some pine tar at Tractor Supply this morning for a Pine Tar Bar. What I am wondering is if more specialized items might possibly be found here — things like colors for soaping. I realize this is a loooooooonnng shot, but would our artist's supply store have any colors usable for soap? Titanium dioxide in a form friendly to soap would be my very first purchase.

The Internet is great and ordering is always a possiblility but I like to give our local mercants business whenever I can.

I buy lard wherever it's handy and costs a bit less. Same with vegetable oils. I just look for sales at the grocery stores. If you're willing to render animal fats, a butcher or hunter might give you those.

I have a neighbor saving bacon drippings for me. He gives me the drippings and I give him a couple of bars of soap.

I watch for sales or just compare prices to buy baking soda, washing soda, borax, sea salt, etc.

Am planning to try scents by soaking lavender and rosemary in some oils. Don't know how those will hold up in the soaps. But I'd like to experiment.

I like just using what I have on hand, so haven't been out scouting around much for more experiments yet.

I'm interested to read what others post. Thanks for the thread.

You can get the basic coloring (Red, Yellow and Blue) at any Michaels/ Hobby Lobby/JoAnn's/ AC Moore. Just ask for the soap section. Some have used crayons, food coloring, the list goes on. There are also natural colorants in your spice rack already. (Paprika-Peach color, Cocoa powder-browns, etc.) When you find TD let us know where.

Happy Soaping

I render my own beef tallow, and lard is fairly easy to find. Palm oil is organic shortening. I found walnut oil, grape seed oil, olive oil, and sesame oil in the ethnic foods section. I use a lot of herbal colorants (though I'm still learning there!). I also use coconut milk (ethnic foods section) and evaporated milk.

I use the soap color from michaels all the time, it works and is cheap! the red will turn out hot pink, but green and blue are true, orange turns out peach etc.

Michael's and Hobby Lobby are an hour away. Joann's is more than 2 hours away. I've never seen an AC Moore's in my life. I will check Michael's and H.L. the next time I go to that town, though. And earlier this week we were in a different town about an hour and a half away and I spotted a soap shop. I'm pretty sure they sell both finished soaps and supplies but we were on a strict schedule and couldn't stop.

I might try rendering later on. It is probably one of those things I would try once just to say that I did it.

All the exotic oils are intriguing but to be honest, I have no intention of going into the soap business. I just want to learn enough to supply my own family and whatever friends I can persuade to love my soaps. Locally available supplies will, in the main, be fine. Maybe an Internet order here or there thrown in for variety.

well then id order some suuplies online, soapers choice, oils by nature or wholesalesuppliesplus for oils and wsp has fos also!

HG, I'm very happy with the soap I made from a can of bacon drippings. A neighbor gave them to me on a bit of a dare. He'd kept them in the fridge, and I know he's careful about such things.

I made a 5% super-fat and it's turned out to be a very good bar for bathing.

I gave a few of the bars to my neighbor and his wife, and will give some of them to a friend.

Other than that gift of bacon fat, I've been very happy with the soaps using Anchor Lard.

I'm trying to keep this soapmaking a thrifty endeavor.

Have you got a Costco or Aldi or some other lower-priced grocery store? That's where I got the cold-pressed olive oil I use for face soap and shampoo.

Latest posts

Back