Small/Sample FO/EO- how do you use them?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mysticmoon

Reaction score
This may be a ridiculously stupid question but how do you use small bottles of FO or EO? I got a .5 oz size sample with a fixed oil order I placed and am not sure what to do with it. Do you just make really small batches to try the scent? I saw the thread about ordering the sampler pack too and just didn't know how you used them.
:)

you can use it in a blend, or in a candle, or lotion or scrub or the like. or you can just save it and smell it.

if you already have some unscented lotion at home you can mix it with that. or make lotion bars or a bath bomb or some scrub!

Do you have a mold for individual soaps or do you have some things that can be used as individual molds (fruit cup containers, small individual serving tupperware) or a vertical mold (pvc pipe or an empty plastic bottle)?

Next time you make soap, you can increase the recipe to include an extra 1/2-3/4 pound of oils, then once you've mixed your lye in and just emulsified (before trace), pour off this extra into a small bowl, add your small fragrance sample, mix to trace,and pour off into your small molds. The emulsified oils and lye should wait for you for the bigger part of your batch. I sometimes get .25 ounce samples and I'll make an individual bar with this in this manner.

Of course you can always mix it in with another FO, but if you want to see what it's like on its own, this works well.

Good luck!

I throw mine into a double batch of homemade laundry detergent.

a sampler pack is usually a 1oz sample( peak and ng), and you can double or triple the same scent, 1oz is enough to scent a whole 2lb batch of hp, 2oz will scent a 2lb cp batch. .5 oz samples, I use for scenting lotion

Latest posts

Back