Show us your work space!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What sorts of things are you “printing”? Our son has a rather larger 3D printer and the things he makes are amazing!
I originally got it to make soap scrapers big enough for my double and triple wide Workshop Heritage molds but it seems like I am making stuff for the hubby and grandkids instead. I am still learning it and due to asthma that has been flared up for months I haven't been able to make soap so I haven't made anything for my soap making except a few extruder discs and a scraper for my single mold. I need to be able to make soaps to test them out before I try to make them bigger.

After a little tidying up, here is my soap making station. There’s a second similarly sized counter on the other side of the galley kitchen where I do the pouring when I’m working in a slab mold. It’s great having the sink to the left, but the only available electrical outlet is also on the left. After my mini sb fell into a dishpan full of water one day, I ran a power strip around to the right side. The SB cords still want to cause trouble in this small space, but the mishaps are minimal after I shifted my additives and lye to the left side in my set up.

E59003C8-F61C-43A6-819E-F90DD317D0E5.jpeg

After a little tidying up, here is my soap making station. There’s a second similarly sized counter on the other side of the galley kitchen where I do the pouring when I’m working in a slab mold. It’s great having the sink to the left, but the only available electrical outlet is also on the left. After my mini sb fell into a dishpan full of water one day, I ran a power strip around to the right side. The SB cords still want to cause trouble in this small space, but the mishaps are minimal after I shifted my additives and lye to the left side in my set up.

View attachment 65533
I like your idea of adding a protective layer (made of plastic I guess?) under your soaping area for any spills. It seems really easy to clean as you go.
I use some old sheets doubled up to protect my table, but when some batter spills I can't really clean the fabric until I wash it. I might borrow this idea! 😊

I am fortunate that my outlet is on the right, but I still had to deal with sitting down my Stick Blender when not in use and it getting in the way. The work surface of my Kitchen Island is generous at 38" x 20" but after knocking it off on the floor a couple of times I knew I had to find a solution. Well DUH...there is a loop at the top of the darn thing so I bought a Command Hook. It's great...not only is the SB off my work surface, but I now have a place to hang my apron. I just need to get a second one for my Mini SB and find a way to attach it.

I like your idea of adding a protective layer (made of plastic I guess?) under your soaping area for any spills. It seems really easy to clean as you go. I use some old sheets doubled up to protect my table, but when some batter spills I can't really clean the fabric until I wash it. I might borrow this idea! 😊

Hubby bought me a large (20" x 15") HDPE Cutting Board with 'juice trough'. I put some rubber shelf liner underneath it to keep it from sliding. The trough came in handy one day I knocked over my FO... not only didn't I not end up with FO all over the place, but I was able to salvage the majority of it. It cleans up easily...most of the time I just spray and wipe, but I can also stick it in the dishwasher.

Since my soaping room is also my home office, I have a fold-down craft table that is folded against the wall until I need to use it. I love using old Silpat mats or dollar store cutting mats underneath my molds and for setting down my SB, spatulas, spoons, etc. Makes clean-up a breeze!

I like your idea of adding a protective layer (made of plastic I guess?) under your soaping area for any spills. It seems really easy to clean as you go.
I use some old sheets doubled up to protect my table, but when some batter spills I can't really clean the fabric until I wash it. I might borrow this idea! 😊
The grey sheet is a silicone mat. The spoons are sitting on an inexpensive glass cutting board from Dollar General. They’re both super easy to keep keep clean as I go.

@TheGecko I tried to think of a way to hang the sb, but didn’t come up with a good solution that would work in the space. Just now, this gadget came to mind as a way to get the cords up off of my work surface.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08S48G41B?ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_HA5NCVE4BFRHBKEAV4XP
@AliOop The small cutting boards are so handy. I bought a couple to use under cavity molds. Before that I was using pieces of heavy cardboard that I cut from boxes, which was fine until I spilled batter on them.

I tried to think of a way to hang the sb, but didn’t come up with a good solution that would work in the space. Just now, this gadget came to mind as a way to get the cords up off of my work surface.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08S48G41B?ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_HA5NCVE4BFRHBKEAV4XP

That would be a good solution to tame the cord. When I was at my hairdressers I was looking at her set up for her curling irons/blow dryer and wondered if something along the same lines would be good for soap makers. I've checked out Amazon, but not seeing exactly what I want. Would need two styles...one for those with single piece SBs and one for those with two-piece. Ability to hold two regular SBs (either style) and Mini SB and have multiple plug-ins.

The small cutting boards are so handy. I bought a couple to use under cavity molds. Before that I was using pieces of heavy cardboard that I cut from boxes, which was fine until I spilled batter on them.

I have a good half dozen small cutting boards. A couple of more like mats which are great since you can fold them, but the others are solid. Whenever hubby can't find the smaller hard boards, he checks my soaping rack.

I use sheets of teflon to cover my work table(s). My daughter uses it at work and brought me a couple of rolls - they are tremendous. They are about 18” wide so I use duct tape to connect them and it works beautifully. Easy to wipe off and keeps my tabletops (workbench, countertop) clean.

I have a 14x28 Portable Barn that is my studio. This week we added sheetrock, electricity, and adding a mini-split ductless ac. I still have to add plumbing for water. I am still recovering from losing everything from Hurricane Florence from 3 years ago. And let me tell ya. Doing it a second time is alot harder!
WIN_20220412_13_35_10_Pro.jpg

I do it all in a portion of my garage and have an old 8 foot table that I cover with the large black plastic trash bags that I get at costco, so when I'm done I can just gather them up and put them in the trash. Then I can just spritz the table with rubbing alcohol and put new trash bags down. It's not very pretty, but since it's in the garage it works out pretty well. Looking at all these photos has given me some good ideas about creating more storage for my supplies. Thanks for sharing.

My supplies are stored a few different places, but this is my kitchen island when taken over for soaping.

Second picture is my catwalk storage system. There's no direct light and it was previously a junk-collecting hallway to nowhere, so this is a good use of it. I just got bakers racks to store my curing soaps on. Behind them is a shelving unit with all of my jars and bottles and various packaging items.

Third picture is my packaging station pre-bakers racks, which has been moved to the other end of the hallway.

Picture 4 is my current supply storage. Not ideal, but that window doesn't get much light due to a porch overhang and the blackout curtains block what would come through.

I'm working on getting the garage fridge cleared out to store my oils.

My goal by next year is to get the garage decked out into a soaping studio. It's a heated space with a utility sink, so it should be feasible.

Attachments

• 0408222005.jpg
    0408222005.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 0413220842.jpg
    0413220842.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 0331221449.jpg
    0331221449.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 0303221448.jpg
    0303221448.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 0318221029.jpg
    0318221029.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 0318221032_HDR.jpg
    0318221032_HDR.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 33
Here is a video of my spare bedroom turned home office + soap room. So delighted with the new setup, including the stainless table and the stainless curing rack (which was previously in a linen closet but we all know that soap is WAAAYYY more important than linens).

My home office setup is in the corner opposite the two white cabinets, so the cabinets are crammed full of molds, FOs, EOs, micas, and all the other stuff that must be hidden from the Zoom camera during working hours. The cardboard fruit box at the start of the video is where I set all the soapy dishes until they are ready to go to the laundry room (next door down the hall) to be washed up.

Last edited:
Here is a video of my spare bedroom aka home office aka soap room. So delighted with the new setup, including the stainless table and the stainless curing rack (which was previously in a linen closet but we all know that soap is WAAAYYY more important than linens).

My home office setup is in the corner opposite the two white cabinets, so they are crammed full of molds, FOs, EOs, micas, and all the other stuff that must be hidden from the Zoom camera during working hours. The cardboard fruit box at the start of the video is where I set all the soapy dishes until they are ready to go to the laundry room (next door down the hall) to be washed up.

View attachment 65761
Love You Lab!!! Great Organization! I do recommend elevating your Oils/Butters/Products up off the Floor, especially if you sell. Blessings!

Thanks, @SoapLover1! It's been a journey to get everything organized in a way that works for me. With the exception of my two cutters, two of the wire racks (repurposed from a pantry in a former home), and the Cheshire Cat, everything else is thrifted, gifted, or purchased from a destash. I don't sell (yet), but I'm always open to learning more about proper material storage. Here are my thoughts behind my storage set up:

The bottom two containers are CO and PKO because those oils aren't temperature sensitive. The house is on a foundation so there is a raised sub-floor underneath them. The box of lard and the MB container sit on top of those, so they aren't in direct contact with the floor. Butters are in the cabinets, and all other oils, including all of my home rendered lard and tallow, are in the garage fridge. Does that address your concerns?

Last edited:
Thanks, @SoapLover1! It's been a journey to get everything organized in a way that works for me. With the exception of my two cutters, two of the wire racks (repurposed from a pantry in a former home), and the Cheshire Cat, everything else is thrifted, gifted, or purchased from a destash. I don't sell (yet), but I'm always open to learning more about proper material storage. Here are my thoughts behind my storage set up:

The bottom two containers are CO and PKO because those oils aren't temperature sensitive. The house is on a foundation so there is a raised sub-floor underneath them. The box of lard and the MB container sit on top of those, so they aren't in direct contact with the floor. Butters are in the cabinets, and all other oils, including all of my home rendered lard and tallow, are in the garage fridge. Does that address your concerns?
Hi!
I understand why you did because that makes sense. However, I know that is a concern for Inspectors for products in direct contact with the floor, so I just thought I’d pass it on. I personally Love what you’ve done. I know many ppl may not be aware and was just sharing. Keep up the great work! Blessings!

Hi!
I understand why you did because that makes sense. However, I know that is a concern for Inspectors for products in direct contact with the floor, so I just thought I’d pass it on. I personally Love what you’ve done. I know many ppl may not be aware and was just sharing. Keep up the great work! Blessings!
Oh, thank you for sharing that! My state doesn't regulate soapmaking, but I can see where a business facility should keep things off the floor. I will keep that in mind in case my soaps ever take off, and I find myself in a sweet little production building somewhere. 😍

I love all the inspiration and ideas everyone has shared! My mind is thinking some things over 🙂

This is my work space. It’s also serves as a spare bedroom when we have an occasional guest. I don’t have a running water near this room so I still have to lug dishes to the bathroom tub or downstairs to the sink. Overall, I have nothing to complain about, though. Since most of the kids are grown and moved out, I have extra space to work with.

9E669364-ECAF-4FF9-9C46-9F5C072F4957.jpeg7966915B-38F3-424C-827E-5CA0799E7FDE.jpegB7D2887D-8738-4E65-B96B-6489D2D2EFB9.jpeg

I love all the inspiration and ideas everyone has shared! My mind is thinking some things over 🙂

This is my work space. It’s also serves as a spare bedroom when we have an occasional guest. I don’t have a running water near this room so I still have to lug dishes to the bathroom tub or downstairs to the sink. Overall, I have nothing to complain about, though. Since most of the kids are grown and moved out, I have extra space to work with.

View attachment 66471View attachment 66472View attachment 66473
Let me know if you ever want to part with that mirror.....

Latest posts

Back