Show us your work space!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay, I'll start! We just finished hours of work in the basement where I have my soap shop, even tho' no one else will see it! It used to be dark and gloomy, now it's bright and clean. Mrs. Zing gave me a counter and set it up (following instructions in Swedish from that Swedish store). Could I be a luckier man?
Before
20201029_202842.jpg20201029_202910.jpg20201030_083512 (1).jpg
And after:
20220306_204856.jpg20220306_204831.jpg20220306_204529.jpg

I am Shamrock Green Mica envy. I don’t have a ‘studio’, just a cart in the kitchen with a shelf above for my colorants. And a wall rack in the garage for FOs/EO and boxed soaps. And two shelving units in the garage for curing soaps and ingredients. And a bookshelf in the garage for more stuff. And that drawer thingy in the dining room that I no longer have a clue of what’s in it as there is stuff in front of it.

am Shamrock Green Mica envy. I don’t have a ‘studio’, just a cart in the kitchen with a shelf above for my colorants.
I didn’t have anything dedicated until a couple weeks ago. I just hauled everything in storage bins into the kitchen and then shoved it all back in a closet when I was done. The work table and shelves were my birthday present! 😚. Made more sense to take over the unused dining room permanently than to take over the kitchen every weekend.

I'm another kitchen soaper. Tiny house, tiny spaces. I soap at the kitchen counter, but my supplies are in three different spots in my laundry room. I grab the buckets, toss in what I need, and lug it all to the kitchen. Then, of course, in the middle of soaping, I have to dash back to the laundry room for the one thing I forgot.

Attachments

• IMG_20220307_105803161.jpg
    IMG_20220307_105803161.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_20220307_110009566.jpg
    IMG_20220307_110009566.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_20220307_105935511.jpg
    IMG_20220307_105935511.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20220307_105827307.jpg
    IMG_20220307_105827307.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 106
Yep - kitchen for me too @TheGecko. I have a small bedroom where I have my painting space and a big bookshelf / small cabinet for storing supplies and curing soaps.

My youngest daughter occupies the second bedroom or it would still be office/music room. We've been wanted to renovate the garage for a couple of years now, but Covid got in the way...first with the garbage company tripling their price for a dumpster and then the cost of lumber. There are a lot of times I have to wait until hubby is going to be gone for several hours before I can make soap because he can be pretty sensitive to certain smells. And between Covid and his disability, he doesn't get out a whole lot. And it's winter so it's kind of hard to open the kitchen window and set the fan up to blow everything outside.

I didn’t have anything dedicated until a couple weeks ago. I just hauled everything in storage bins into the kitchen and then shoved it all back in a closet when I was done. The work table and shelves were my birthday present! 😚. Made more sense to take over the unused dining room permanently than to take over the kitchen every weekend.

Sadly, I've turned the dining table into my office because I needed the extra space to spread out without my husband shuffling all my stuff around whenever he wants to use the computer (I work from home a couple of days a week). What I would love is to have the space to park a 20' - 25' travel trailer and turn that into a 'studio'. No building permits, no need to run utilities. Preference would be for an older 'park model' since they were built differently and there would be more space. Get rid of the hot water tank and install 'hot water on demand' and install a small dishwasher; bedroom would become storage/curing.

I'm another kitchen soaper. Tiny house, tiny spaces. I soap at the kitchen counter, but my supplies are in three different spots in my laundry room. I grab the buckets, toss in what I need, and lug it all to the kitchen. Then, of course, in the middle of soaping, I have to dash back to the laundry room for the one thing I forgot.

I started with a single laundry basket. When it became three I knew I needed something more and so I got a rolling kitchen island. We have an L-shaped kitchen with a flat wall next to a small cupboard/counter/drawers next to the fridge. On the other side of the wall is the washer/dryer in the garage. It's about 5' wide so even with the island, there is still plenty of room and best, there is a regular outlet so after I put the island in, I hung a Command Hook for my apron and stick bender. Hubby then installed a shelf the length of the island about it for colorants and scents. It was absolutely perfect...everything fit inside of it, I had a large working surface and had easy access to sink, microwave and stove.

Of course, it didn't take long before I kind of 'outgrew' it...as far a storage goes. The work surface is still perfect though.

I started out as a kitchen soaper as well. Dragging everything up and down the stairs. My soaping room had a sink, but it wasn't connected. Once I got water, I got to stop the back and forth.

Attachments

• SoapArea1.PNG
    SoapArea1.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 101
  • SoapArea2.PNG
    SoapArea2.PNG
    680.7 KB · Views: 101
  • SoapArea3.PNG
    SoapArea3.PNG
    577.6 KB · Views: 107
Okay, I'll start! We just finished hours of work in the basement where I have my soap shop, even tho' no one else will see it! It used to be dark and gloomy, now it's bright and clean. Mrs. Zing gave me a counter and set it up (following instructions in Swedish from that Swedish store). Could I be a luckier man?
Before
View attachment 64990View attachment 64991View attachment 64992
And after:
View attachment 64995View attachment 64994View attachment 64993
Very nice set up I live in a bachelor apartment I built shelves for supplies in storage area and have a table top I put on my kitchen table for making soap

I am so Gel-Us! My soaping space is all over the place...garage, sewing room, kitchen. I did buy a wonderful shelving unit which holds my curing soaps on the top and "most" of my supplies on the bottom. Usually it only takes one trip to the kitchen for supplies and molds, but then another two trips...or more...for the oils, water, butters, etc. I could expand my space to the garage and have everything together but it is too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter. So I'm stuck with my arrangement and am only unsatisfied when I see other people's wonderful areas. My cabinet shares a room with all my quilting "stuff" so I'm glad most of it is in the same place, plus it smells so nice when I go into quilt.

I'll have to get photos after my "expansion". My Xmas gift from my guy was an additional countertop and shelf underneath for soapmaking. I use our farmstand kitchen for soapmaking (and vegetable/egg washing, herb drying, nuking a lunch) and I have about 4' of countertop with shelves on which to soap, and sometimes I take over the stovetop as a counter. I found a bakery rack online, and my guy made me some drying racks that fit on it; they double as soap and herb drying racks. This image was to show someone all my herb shelves, but at the bottom you can see my soaping area.
1646772785235.png

Back