Shaving brushes?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godschild

Reaction score
Wanting to make some shaving soap. I would like to sell some brushes along with it. Does anyone have a source for a wholesale order of them that wet shavers like? I don't really know anything about which to order other than not to order synthetic bristles.

I would think that wet shavers are particular about their brushes and have bought the one they like. There are some pretty expensive ones out there! That being said, someone buying a "package" would most likely be a beginner, new to wet shaving. I would go with a basic cheap brush -- not necessarily synthetic. I would do boar bristles which aren't as nice as the variety of badger brushes, but it's a starting point. They don't know what they like, yet, so an inexpensive option and a good starting point. This is just my opinion, of course.

Last edited:
You can get fairly cheap multi packs of badger or boar brushes on ebay. If you have a option, get ones made in the middle east over ones made in China. Also, synthetics aren't necessarily bad. Some are actually better then boar as boar can be stiff or scratchy.
If you are looking for a particular brand, Omega's are very popular. Maybe you could contact the website and ask about wholesale prices.

Sorry, but I would worry first and foremost about the product itself. The main body of customers will be the shavers and they will need a lot of convincing to use your product over another. There is some serious competition in shaving at the moment and it'll take something to get them to change from what they like. They might try it, but if there isn't anything to keep them using your soap then they will go elsewhere.

Also bear in mind that shaving soap is a cosmetic and needs to be treated as such when you sell it.

Thats a good point. I recommend you pick up a cheap brush and watch a few videos on lathering then test your soap on yourself. When I first started working on a shaving soap recipe, I took to using a vintage double edge razor on my legs. I figured if I was going to make a specialty soap, I needed to understand the properties wet shavers look for.
I've went as far as testing my lather on my face which normally wouldn't sound weird as its made for the face but I'm a girl and using a DE with a super sharp blade on my face was slightly terrifying.

Thats a good point. I recommend you pick up a cheap brush and watch a few videos on lathering then test your soap on yourself. When I first started working on a shaving soap recipe, I took to using a vintage double edge razor on my legs. I figured if I was going to make a specialty soap, I needed to understand the properties wet shavers look for.
I've went as far as testing my lather on my face which normally wouldn't sound weird as its made for the face but I'm a girl and using a DE with a super sharp blade on my face was slightly terrifying.

I applaud your dedication to your craft. At the start of your post I thought you just meant you were putting it on your face to evaluate the skin the feel but actually using a blade, a DE no less kicks it up to 11.

DH actually made me a convert with a 1960's reconditioned vintage razor. The atomically-adorable stars made me willing to try it and the massive cost savings from switching off of disposable razor blades + less waste sealed the deal. Of course, having to shave half as often didn't hurt! It *did* make me nervous at first, but I haven't had any issues with nicks or cuts.

One thing I've noticed... there aren't very many shaving soaps marketed at women. I made myself a super-heavy SFed soap to use. For my peace of mind, I want to see underneath the lather so something creamier/less fluffy than traditional shaving soap works perfectly.

For relatively inexpensive and okay quality brushes, I like these:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004DEXE48/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

If I have to replace the brush, no worries... it's about the same price that I used to pay for a pack disposable razor blades.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have to agree with Efficacious here.

The market has recently "gone green" so to say, and has become a "man's market". Good for men.

Do not cheap down. It will be known. Period.

Men that want to "hand" shave spend money on excellent quality. (Men do tend to buy the best products for themselves, many a divorce over that, but something to keep in mind.) Men will discard trivial and yet be more vocal about it than women. Check men's shaving forums, fountain pen forums, custom clothing forums, etc...

In the end, men still think they make the money, so they can spend it on themselves, and it is usually long lasting. Not that men make the money anymore, or spend any on wives, blah, blah, blah, the younger market of men is the same. Posh, posh, posh. Never underestimate a man's spending habits. It is always in the $$$$ where women can do $$ until the man makes them mad. The man still spends to uplift the ego, and the market has normally kept anything a man would buy for himself long lasting quality. Nice of the market, but true of the average mind, and the dandy, well, we are not talking about that here. That is even more $$$$$$. :p

Thanks yall. I learned years ago how to use a blade to shave the people I took care of at the nursing home. I don't want to offer less of what I would want my own dad to receive so thanks for your help. This is why I asked on this forum. I haven't been on much in a while and have missed it ;)

Back