brushless hard puck shaving soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erchy

Reaction score
Hey everyone

ive been making my own shaving soaps for a couple of years now with great results.

however, ive been wanting to make my own brushless hard puck shaving soap for when I travel.

do any of you know how I would formulate a hard puck of shave soap? im Sure to make it brushless I would just increase the bubbly ingredients like castor and coconut oil etc.

ive always made softer shave soaps which I usually have to put into plastic containers and lather with a shave brush. I would like to eliminate plastic though.

Using more sodium hydroxide would help keep the bar firmer. Making sure you give it a super long cure and let it dry out between uses really well would also be a good idea.

Also as a wet shaver myself I just take my ceramic tub with me when I have to travel for work (using ceramic pots is a good way to ditch the plastic!) as well as my brush. I'm rarely so pushed for space that I have no space for the finer things. I mention it, as you're going to have to compromise on performance to get what you're aiming for. The question you'll have to answer is - is the drop in performance worth it?

I also travel for work, and I always have to make choices to keep my bag under the penalty weight (which has been reduced from 50 to 45 lbs at most US airlines). With that need in mind, I see a significant difference between single-use plastic, and a plastic container that is reused for a long time. While I do my best to avoid the former, I don't have any qualms about the latter.

My current shave soap container has lasted well over a year, and shows no sign of wear. When the puck runs out, I put in another one. Not only does it keep my luggage weight down, I don't worry about it breaking into pieces when (not if) the airline employees fling my luggage about.

Hey everyone

ive been making my own shaving soaps for a couple of years now with great results.

however, ive been wanting to make my own brushless hard puck shaving soap for when I travel.

do any of you know how I would formulate a hard puck of shave soap? im Sure to make it brushless I would just increase the bubbly ingredients like castor and coconut oil etc.

ive always made softer shave soaps which I usually have to put into plastic containers and lather with a shave brush. I would like to eliminate plastic though.
I'm a relative newbie to soaping, and I'm trying to find a shaving soap recipe that doesn't have wax. Would you mind sharing more info on the soap you make? Thanks :)

Latest posts

Back