Shampoo Bar - Thanks Lindy!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yogurt in a shampoo bar?

Hi all. Not sure if it has already been answered but I DID do a search and did not find my answer (and have read as far as pg 40 to no avail).
So here it is...Has anyone tried adding yogurt to a shampoo bar? I have curly hair and read good things about yogurt and curls. Was thinking of adding citric acid (we have VERY hard water), a bit of honey, clay, and maybe yogurt with beer subbed for water.
Too much "stuff" going on here?
Thoughts?
This will be my first shampoo bar!
Thanks in advance for any insights for a newbie:)

Hi all. Not sure if it has already been answered but I DID do a search and did not find my answer (and have read as far as pg 40 to no avail).
So here it is...Has anyone tried adding yogurt to a shampoo bar? I have curly hair and read good things about yogurt and curls. Was thinking of adding citric acid (we have VERY hard water), a bit of honey, clay, and maybe yogurt with beer subbed for water.
Too much "stuff" going on here?
Thoughts?
This will be my first shampoo bar!
Thanks in advance for any insights for a newbie:)

I have used Coconut Milk and beer had no problems. I wouldn't add clay to though. Also, if you decide to use yogurt it too is in place of your water.

Hi all! I am a brand new soap maker. I bought the book Making Soap from Scratch by Gregory Lee White and have made soap from that book. His Shampoo bar has 13 OZ of Coconut oil in it and I notice some people saying that Coconut oil can strip hair. So I ran into this post and it seems everyone is very excited about it and want very much to succeed at making this soap!

I have read several pages of this thread and being a bit of a noobie, I feel like I am still confused about a few things.

I found the soap calculator and punched in the values. I use a 3lb crafters choice soap loaf mold.

You say you infuse chamomile into all your oils (Except the Shea) Is this Chamomile essential oil? How much do you use and what is your process for infusing?

You also use Tea Tree / Peppermint / Lavender EO... what rate are you using? I was assuming 1oz per pound?

Also I see Superfat 6%. As I understand it, superfatting your soaps means you add one of the oils at trace. Is this the case here? If so which oil? If I am incorrect, could you clear this one up for me?

Also you add 1 TBS sugar to your water... is this added directly with the lye or is this separate? I dont know if the lye reacts with the sugar or what it does so I am curious about that. I made a soap with Peppermint tea once because I didn't have the oil so I just made a batch of strong peppermint tea then added the lye to that and it seemed to me that it caused the peppermint to lose a lot of its scent... in fact in kind of stunk a bit afterwards...:sad:

Column 5: Soap qualities and fatty acids (I don't know what to do with this column, but I am thinking it autofills as I add oils)

I have been buying my oils at WalMart... Can anyone recommend a better supplier? (Cheap but still pure ingredients)

I am super interested in this recipe because I have a beard and I want to use it on my hair and my beard. Also my wife has very sensitive skin and she uses commercial shampoo so I am hoping this helps with her itching.

Thanks so much for your time and help! I don't mean to be so needy lol, I just really am passionate about finding a good shampoo bar and I feel very lucky to have stumbled upon this one after reading so many posts by people who are very dissatisfied by the results they have gotten from other bars!

Hi all! I am a brand new soap maker. I bought the book Making Soap from Scratch by Gregory Lee White and have made soap from that book. His Shampoo bar has 13 OZ of Coconut oil in it and I notice some people saying that Coconut oil can strip hair. So I ran into this post and it seems everyone is very excited about it and want very much to succeed at making this soap!

I have read several pages of this thread and being a bit of a noobie, I feel like I am still confused about a few things.

I found the soap calculator and punched in the values. I use a 3lb crafters choice soap loaf mold.

You say you infuse chamomile into all your oils (Except the Shea) Is this Chamomile essential oil? How much do you use and what is your process for infusing?

I infuse chamomile flowers into my oils (I don't make shampoo bars as my hair hates them). I generally put the flowers in a jar and then fill with olive oil.
You also use Tea Tree / Peppermint / Lavender EO... what rate are you using? I was assuming 1oz per pound?

Also I see Superfat 6%. As I understand it, superfatting your soaps means you add one of the oils at trace. Is this the case here? If so which oil? If I am incorrect, could you clear this one up for me?

No, add all your oils to one pot. When doing CP it doesn't matter as the lye will take whatever oils it wants. Even if added at trace as the lye is still active. If you want to add a special oil and not have it taken by lye you would need to do HP.

Also you add 1 TBS sugar to your water... is this added directly with the lye or is this separate? I dont know if the lye reacts with the sugar or what it does so I am curious about that. I made a soap with Peppermint tea once because I didn't have the oil so I just made a batch of strong peppermint tea then added the lye to that and it seemed to me that it caused the peppermint to lose a lot of its scent... in fact in kind of stunk a bit afterwards...:sad:

I mix my sugar in my water/liquid portion and dissolve before adding the lye.

Botanicals and other items added for sent other than EO/FO's will not survive saponification. And can turn brown.

Column 5: Soap qualities and fatty acids (I don't know what to do with this column, but I am thinking it autofills as I add oils)

Those do fill in as you build your recipe in soap calc. Never use a recipe printed without running through a calc.

I have been buying my oils at WalMart... Can anyone recommend a better supplier? (Cheap but still pure ingredients)

Many folks purchase their oils from the grocery store. There are many suppliers out there, depends on where you live as shipping can play a big part.

Soaper's Choice is one of my favorites for oils/butters. Other companies are Wholesale Supplies Plus, Nature's Garden, Bramble Berry etc....

I am super interested in this recipe because I have a beard and I want to use it on my hair and my beard. Also my wife has very sensitive skin and she uses commercial shampoo so I am hoping this helps with her itching.

Thanks so much for your time and help! I don't mean to be so needy lol, I just really am passionate about finding a good shampoo bar and I feel very lucky to have stumbled upon this one after reading so many posts by people who are very dissatisfied by the results they have gotten from other bars!

Welcome to the forum.

Welcome Noblesquire! :wave:

Although I've never infused any of my oils (to date), it is done by adding the flowers and/or leaves of herbs to a portion of the oil with which you'll be soaping.

The accepted safe rate of using essential oils in soap is to use no more than .5 oz ppo (because of their medicinal effects).

As Shari (Shunt) said- add all your oils to your pot up front. Since the lye is still very active at trace and can remain active for up to 24 hours or more after pouring into your mold, the practice of superfatting at trace is nothing more than a waste of time and wishful thinking. Dr. Kevin Dunn put the (quite pervasive) superfatting theory to the test in his lab a few years ago, and from his results, it turns out that the theory has no merit....at least in CP. You may have more luck with HP by adding the superfatting oil after the cook when no zap is present, but many debate the reliability of that theory, too, since the innards of soap are not exactly static.

Also you add 1 TBS sugar to your water... is this added directly with the lye or is this separate?

Speaking only for myself, I actually add 2 tbsp. sugar ppo to mine. Make sure to dissolve it in your water before adding the lye and not the other way around.

I dont know if the lye reacts with the sugar or what it does so I am curious about that.

Sugar helps to boost lather, but don't use too much or you'll end up with a soft/dent-able soap. Two tbsp. ppo is the highest I go because of that.

I made a soap with Peppermint tea once because I didn't have the oil so I just made a batch of strong peppermint tea then added the lye to that and it seemed to me that it caused the peppermint to lose a lot of its scent... in fact in kind of stunk a bit afterwards...:sad:

As you found out, teas (and/or herbs) won't add lasting scent to soap...and may put up an awful stink at first...but the stink cures out. You need to use quality EOs or FOs if you want a scent to last.

If you are using SoapCalc, yes, it autofills. This column can be quite helpful by giving you a plumb line of sorts to work off of when it comes to tweaking your formula after having tested out your finished soap.

Lot's of us buy our oils at the supermarket (which is perfectly fine), but if you are making lots of soap, buying online in bulk is the better way to go. I buy my olive oil at my local Costco and my lard and tallow at the grocery store (because they are cheaper for me local), but I buy all my other oils and butters online (because those end up being cheaper for me in the long run). Columbus Foods out of Ohio is my go-to online source for the majority of my bulk oils/butters, but I keep my eye out for good deals offered at another vendors, too.

Speaking only for myself, I have never used this recipe as a shampoo (because my hair doesn't do well being washed with lye-based soaps), but I can attest that it definitely makes for a very lovely body soap.

No worries- we are all needy at one time or another. :)

IrishLass :)

Can this recipe be used with the HP method? If so, should anything be done differently?

Any recipe that you can make via CP can also be made via HP. :thumbup: The only really big thing to be mindful of is your water amount, since HP needs more water due to the evaporation that takes place as the soap is cooking. When I do HP, I use what is known as a 'full water' amount, which for me translates to a 28% lye concentration (2.57 parts water to every one part lye).

IrishLass :)

I've never been a fan of CP shampoo bars because immediately they'd leave my hair all dried out & straw-like. So I only used Syndet bars and never looked back.
But a post Lindy made here http://www.soapmakingforum.com/f19/how-basic-shampoo-bar-recipe-30757/ helped me see the error of my ways.

So, I just want to thank Lindy for giving me that "duh" moment so I could create a shampoo bar that I've only used once, but I love it already. I imagine that after some cure time, it's going to feel so much more lovely.
I used it this morning and there was absolutely no "stripping" feel to it & it felt so conditioning that I used it on the rest of my body as well :) My brush went right through my hair and now it feels so silky & smooth.

I'm feeling so good about it, I'm going to share the recipe I created:
Water as percent of oil weight: 35%
Superfat: 6%

Avocado Oil: 30%
Castor Oil: 10%
Olive Oil: 40%
Shea Butter: 10%
Soybean Oil: 10%

I infused chamomile in all my oils, not in the shea though. Plus I use a TBSP of sugar in my water for added bubbles.

For scent, I used Tea Tree EO, Peppermint EO & Lavender EO at a 1:1:1 ratio.

If anyone decides to try it, please let me know how you feel about it.

Could I use aloe juice for my lye solution or would that mess it all up?

Another question -

I have grapeseed oil and would like to try it in place of the soybean oil, but I've read so many conflicting things about it, that I'm unsure. Any feedback from the experienced soapers on how it holds up?

I wouldn't use it, grapeseed oil has a short shelf life. I've used sunflower oil or avocado in place of the soy.

I wouldn't use it, grapeseed oil has a short shelf life. I've used sunflower oil or avocado in place of the soy.

Ok, I'll avoid it if the short shelf life is an issue. But what am I gonna use it for now? I'm stuck with it LOL. Any suggestions for using grapeseed oil besides soap?

Ok, I'll avoid it if the short shelf life is an issue. But what am I gonna use it for now? I'm stuck with it LOL. Any suggestions for using grapeseed oil besides soap?

Take it to your kitchen! Grapeseed oil is light weight, basically flavorless and odorless so is great to use in a saute. I like to use it when I'm doing a quick al dente saute to veggies that I add to various aromatic dishes. The grapeseed doesn't compete with the flavors and aromas of other spices. I like it for Asian, Mexican, Italian, etc type dishes.

Take it to your kitchen! Grapeseed oil is light weight, basically flavorless and odorless so is great to use in a saute. I like to use it when I'm doing a quick al dente saute to veggies that I add to various aromatic dishes. The grapeseed doesn't compete with the flavors and aromas of other spices. I like it for Asian, Mexican, Italian, etc type dishes.

Sounds like a plan. I've never cooked with it before, so this will be a culinary adventure :) TY :)

Back