Shampoo Bar - Thanks Lindy!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is so timely

I am asked for a shampoo bar continually and would like to offer them. I do make one but I formulated it specifically for my hair-type (wavy, fine, waistlength) and it works wonderfully. When I did sell it, the feedback I got was it did not work for everyone. Because of that, I do not offer it anymore.

Here lately, though, I have been thinking I would like to try my hand at making 3-4 to cover all hair-types. So I am wondering - Is anyone taking in consideration their specific hair-type when making their shampoo bars? What oils are best for hair-types other than mine?

TIA
Birdie

Did the people who said your bars didn't work for them ever use shampoo bars before? A lot of people don't know about the transition period or the need to use a vinegar rinse. If thats the case, they probably won't like any shampoo bar. Maybe print out a short pamphlet about switching to a shampoo bar to hand out with it.

Did they give you any specifics about what they didn't like? make their hair dry? Not clean it enough? You really need to know what they need changed before you can change it.

Even though I have fine, dry hair, I found genny's bar to be a bit too mild. I had to add 5% coconut and lower the Sf to 3% to stop a film forming on my hair.

Did the people who said your bars didn't work for them ever use shampoo bars before? A lot of people don't know about the transition period or the need to use a vinegar rinse. If thats the case, they probably won't like any shampoo bar. Maybe print out a short pamphlet about switching to a shampoo bar to hand out with it.
The transition and rinse issue is the first thing I share when asked about shampoo bars, even now that I don't sell them. I realize we can't fool ourselves into believing that everyone will "follow directions." But I want to see success for those who are really looking for honest change.

Did they give you any specifics about what they didn't like? make their hair dry? Not clean it enough? You really need to know what they need changed before you can change it.
It was a gamut of reasons as I expected there would be.

Even though I have fine, dry hair, I found genny's bar to be a bit too mild. I had to add 5% coconut and lower the Sf to 3% to stop a film forming on my hair.
Ahhhhh, perhaps I could adjust the SFs to specific hair-types. I see experiments coming :!:
But knowing your hair-type, is there an oil that works better for you than another?

I haven't done a tone of experimenting with shampoo bars but I did try replacing the shea with lard once, that was a disaster, left a terrible film on my hair. I also tried using sunflower in place of the soy since I don't use soy and the lather was lacking body but it seemed ok on my hair.
I really like a little neem in my bars, I replaced the 10% soy with 5% coconut and 5% neem, everyone who uses it really likes it. My family all has fine hair, mostly straight but mine is curly. I've not had anyone with coarse or ethnic hair try one of my bars, I would imagine hair like that would need a bit more cleansing power.

I haven't done a tone of experimenting with shampoo bars but I did try replacing the shea with lard once, that was a disaster, left a terrible film on my hair. I also tried using sunflower in place of the soy since I don't use soy and the lather was lacking body but it seemed ok on my hair.
I really like a little neem in my bars, I replaced the 10% soy with 5% coconut and 5% neem, everyone who uses it really likes it. My family all has fine hair, mostly straight but mine is curly. I've not had anyone with coarse or ethnic hair try one of my bars, I would imagine hair like that would need a bit more cleansing power.

I hadn't considered neem oil. I've got a big ole bottle of it. Hmmmm.

I tried making this recipe HP last night, and I must have done something WRONG!! My bar is hard in the mold, but there is oil in the mold as well, it didn't all absorb/saponify/etc.. Did I just take it out of the Crock too soon? It was in there for an hour. I have read conflicting directions for cooking time for HP. For those of you who use this method frequently, how long are you cooking? I have made 2 other HP soaps, and didn't have this issue with either of them.

I think I will redo this CP.

I am asked for a shampoo bar continually and would like to offer them. I do make one but I formulated it specifically for my hair-type (wavy, fine, waistlength) and it works wonderfully. When I did sell it, the feedback I got was it did not work for everyone. Because of that, I do not offer it anymore.

Here lately, though, I have been thinking I would like to try my hand at making 3-4 to cover all hair-types. So I am wondering - Is anyone taking in consideration their specific hair-type when making their shampoo bars? What oils are best for hair-types other than mine?

TIA
Birdie
Soap is not Shampoo. Someday folks may figure it out. Sorry I know everyone gets tired of me saying it, but it is true. Hair does not like soap

Carolyn, people need to learn for themselves, a few months ago I wouldn't listen either. It wasn't until my hair started breaking that I figures it out. It took well over a year for my fine hair to become badly damaged. That being said, I still use my shampoo bars on occasion, they really bring out my curls.

Becky, I've HP this recipe before with no issues, it cooked in 30 min or so. It shouldn't be oily, I would try to rebatch, see if you can get the oily incorporated. If not, its still ok to use as a facial soap as long as it doesn't zap. I wouldn't use a oily bar on my hair.

Carolyn, people need to learn for themselves, a few months ago I wouldn't listen either. It wasn't until my hair started breaking that I figures it out. It took well over a year for my fine hair to become badly damaged. That being said, I still use my shampoo bars on occasion, they really bring out my curls.

Becky, I've HP this recipe before with no issues, it cooked in 30 min or so. It shouldn't be oily, I would try to rebatch, see if you can get the oily incorporated. If not, its still ok to use as a facial soap as long as it doesn't zap. I wouldn't use a oily bar on my hair.

I have naturally VERY curly hair and I've been using my 100% coconut oil (20% superfat) for shampoo with an ACV rinse and it really enhances my curls.

But I have found over the years that there is no one thing that works best for my hair 100% of the time. I think what works for my hair is to give it what it needs: conditioning only, shampoo & condition, shampoo bar/ACV, or skip washing altogether. A little bit of all of those at different times.

Curly hair is a beast all it's own, but I'm sure other folks hair is similar.

Do you think that peanut oil an acceptable replacement for soybean oil? I would like to give shampoo bars a try but I am short on oils.

I've been using a variation of this recipe since February. So far, my hair has been a lot better. I find that I am losing less hair in the shower and in my brush. I infuse my olive oil with a bunch of different herbs. I like babassu better than coconut for my cleansing factor in this bar. I thought about trying a tester batch with PKO this morning in the shower.

So, I really like to share this with everyone since it provides a story too....I had this patch of hair in the back close to my nape that for like YEARS did not grow. I got it caught in a car window once during a drunken escapade on my birthday....someone closed the window as I was leaning on it. My friend texted me in the morning and was like sooo I think I found your hair in my window. Well....that would explain why the back of my head hurt so bad. I don't drink anymore :) It's been I think 5 years now and finally, it started to grow back out. The only thing different has been this shampoo bar. I've taken vitamins and all kinds of supplements, switched to sulfate free shampoo, tried all the suggestions I could find on Google and nothing seemed to help. Maybe it's the herbal infusion, maybe it's the acv rinse, I really don't know. It's just nice to have hope that someday that patch of hair will be the same length as all it's buddies.

I am super worried though that at some point my hair is going to fall out because of the high PH. I would be super sad as I really like the formula I've settled on and cause my hair is finally almost waist length.

I am super worried though that at some point my hair is going to fall out because of the high PH. I would be super sad as I really like the formula I've settled on and cause my hair is finally almost waist length.

I can't decide if I want to try shampoo bars because of this. I read through this entire post on Sunday and still can't decide. I was wondering, if you do the ACV rinse, does that correct the PH issues?

I can't decide if I want to try shampoo bars because of this. I read through this entire post on Sunday and still can't decide. I was wondering, if you do the ACV rinse, does that correct the PH issues?

If I remember correctly, I read in another thread that even the ACV rinse won't really correct the PH. You are still doing damage to the hair follicle.

I make a shampoo bar which my husband uses; he loves it and it suits his hair, however, I am unable to use it as it leaves my hair thick with grease. I make it with soap nuts liquid and green tea.

When I first made it and used it my hair was really soft and shiny. Then I coloured my hair with a different make of colourant than usual and I had to stop using the soap. I try it every now and again but it still makes my hair thick and greasy.

I make a shampoo bar which my husband uses; he loves it and it suits his hair, however, I am unable to use it as it leaves my hair thick with grease. I make it with soap nuts liquid and green tea.

When I first made it and used it my hair was really soft and shiny. Then I coloured my hair with a different make of colourant than usual and I had to stop using the soap. I try it every now and again but it still makes my hair thick and greasy.
Soap will also fade your hair color. Maybe some of the new formula hair colors fade less, but I have been retired from the hair business for about 20 yrs so have not kept up with all the new products. But some things do not change hair likes shampoo much better than soap.

"...if you do the ACV rinse, does that correct the PH issues? ..."

The acid rinse helps to smooth the hair cuticle, yes, that's certain. But even with an acid rinse, in my experience there is some slight damage that accumulates over time. You can't rough up and smooth down, rough up and smooth down, and repeat that for many times ... and not see SOMETHING change a bit over time.

DH and I used a lye-soap shampoo bar on our fine, wavy hair for about a year. Both of us saw our hair get rougher feeling and duller looking as the year went on. DH's hair is only a few inches long at most, compared with my shoulder length hair, so this kind of damage can happen on short hair too. When we switched back to synthetic detergent shampoo about the middle of this year, the shine and softness has gradually come back. DH's hair is looking fine now, but mine will take several more more trims before it feels and looks really good again.

If shampooing with lye soap works for you, it works. But even though your hair looks great for a month or three, just bear in mind that as time goes on you may see different results.

I've used a modified version of this recipe for about 2 year now. I did notice that my hair was getting a little rougher looking. I added henna mainly to see if it would hide the gray. Wow that made all the difference in the world. I use a ACV rinse and blow dry as well as use a flat iron. My hair is shoulder length and it is looking healthy & shiny again. To the point where I've received several compliments on it.

Latest posts

Back