Selling to Soon

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And you can't make any references to medical conditions like acne, eczema, etc. otherwise it has to be treated as a drug. I think even "may help with" is a medical claim. Feel free to say things like "soothing", "mild", "cleansing", "balancing", "moisturizing", "for combination skin", etc.............

To clarify on this point - in the US, if you say anything about "moisturizing" then you need to label it as a cosmetic and follow all the laws for that. Soap can cleanse. If you say it does anything other than that then you are in the cosmetic or even drug areas

I (unfortunately) watched some of her videos when I was learning how to make soap. I then watched Soaping 101, Soap Queen, Ariane Arsenault, etc and un-learned all the bad info she gives out. Fortunately, I am a nurse, and therefore have a finely-tuned "bull" detector, so I never believed any of the medical claims.

And, for all the rest of you who ignore people who make false(and illegal) medical claims for soap, shame on you! You should, at the very least, print out the FDA regulations for labeling of soaps/cosmetics/etc, and conveniently place it on your display table. Then give a copy to the offenders. I am not saying you should point any fingers, but at the very least equip your customers with knowledge of what is legal and what is not.

I haven't seen it mentioned, so I will offer up the name of the soap and cosmetic labeling "bible", I can't imagine getting through the jungle of rules and regs without it. "Soap & Cosmetic Labeling - How to Follow The Rules and Regs Explained in Plain English" by Marie Gale.

I make soap, and only soap, and I make no cosmetic claims. I know I don't need to label it, but I want my customers to know what goodies are in there, so I decided to label. The rules about what needs to be on the label, what font to use, what size font, where on the label the information has to be, is incredibly specific. Even with the book, it's complicated. I wanted to make my labels compliant with the regulations, so that I knew there was one less thing to worry about. Any soaper thinking about selling would find this book incredibly helpful if they're trying to navigate the maze of labeling.

Apparently her itch be gone cream gets rid of 'scares' (s******)

The word in brackets said s****** I didn't realise bracketing things starred them out, you learn something new every day.

Maybe it's the word and not the brackets as it's still starred out.

The word isn't offensive at all but it's a British one and the letters after the a spell an offensive name for black people so I think that's why it's starred. Even though it's a perfectly innocent word, I looked up synonyms and what I probably should have written was snicker. Sorry everyone!

My grammar nazi friend actually develops a tic when I make her read new soap descriptions from there, lol. I'm incredibly evil.

I made a mistake of checking out this persons site just now and I am completely speechless. The claims on her immune support soap made my blood boil!!!!!!! People like this lady make it hard for true artisan soap makers to get people to buy their products because we abide by the laws but people see health claims and think it is the best thing ever.

I've tried watching a couple of her videos but boy, they are too long for me.
I should look for the health claim ones though.

I think it goes hand-in-hand though. I would put money on the fact that this woman made a batch of soap and starting selling right away. She has so many followers and people blowing sunshine up her butt, that she thinks her soap is the bomb. Now, I have no idea if her soap is good or bad, but it looks horrible to me. Her personality is selling the product - which is fine - but when I see her sharing mis-information to her followers, I cringe. She is passing along bad information that others will take and and start shoveling to the masses.

I still haven't gotten over the overhead lye solution check. She's right up there with NT.

I still haven't gotten over the overhead lye solution check. She's right up there with Nancy Today.

I love NT :(
Wouldn't buy from her though, her workspace always looks dirty...not disorganized and messy but actually dirty.

I love NT :(
Wouldn't buy from her though, her workspace always looks dirty...not disorganized and messy but actually dirty.

She entertains me - horrifies me - makes me laugh, all at the same time. She used to hold the container up to her head and shake it, too. My favorite "please don't do that" video is the one at market where her shirt is on inside out and she's cutting wet, sticky soap and selling it.

Or maybe the one where she tries to pick a bug out of the batter and can't, so she figures it just adds to the "natural" effect :)

But indeed - NT is another example of putting out bad information. She has a video entitled something like "How to make the best handmade soap". It's over 20 minutes long because she can't get the batter to thicken up and has no idea why.

Now I feel the need to look her up too as I've never had the experience. I know it will lead to more rage, but curiosity is going to get the better of me.

Saw a video where a soapmaker said "And be very careful with the lye, it'll burn you. It's acid." :smile: I had never heard of NT...had to look her up. No gloves or anything, eek!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back