Scrubs and extracts question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miracles

Reaction score
Hello! I just joined here. I am experimenting with making sugar scrubs right now and have seen recipes that use extract flavorings (vanilla, etc.) in them. I was wondering if extracts are safe to use in scrubs and if they provide any scent (can they be substituted for scent)? I can't seem to find much info on this just googling.

Thank you!

Hello! I just joined here. I am experimenting with making sugar scrubs right now and have seen recipes that use extract flavorings (vanilla, etc.) in them. I was wondering if extracts are safe to use in scrubs and if they provide any scent (can they be substituted for scent)? I can't seem to find much info on this just googling.

From what I have read, not a good idea to use them as they are not considered 'skin safe'. What you do on a personal level is your business, but if you intend to sell, you would need to follow Cosmetic (FDA) guidelines.

Thank you for your responses! I think I'll stick with the approved fragrance oils that meet the FDA standards then. I do plan on eventually selling them.

I've been looking at a few suppliers. Are there any that you would strongly recommend?

Back