Simple sugar scrub help, please

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all - simple sugar scrub advice needed, please and thank you.
Using this BB recipe as a guide, but making 2 different takes on it….
https://www.brambleberry.com/articl...tml?cgid=4-body_scrubs_project_studio#start=1
Question 1 for 100 points: if I want to sub the avocado oil out, would sweet almond oil be a good option? One batch will be Cherry Almond FO with pink bursting beads, so the oil swap seems like a good one and I have a big jug….

Question 2 for 200 points: swapping BB extracts would be ok, right? The other batch will be Pineapple Papaya FO and I have Pineapple extract…

Bonus round! Question 3 for 300 points: I think I should add a preservative since they are scrubs and probably will be around water. I only have Optiphen, so it’s that or nothing (base recipe doesn’t list it, but says it’s an option). This seems like a good choice since the scrub is oil based. The guidance says use “at 1%”. So the question is: 1% of what? I assume it’s the total weight of the recipe, so basically the sugar and the oil? Is this right?

Lastly, my containers are these super cute 4oz mason jars with handles, like tiny versions of my sweet tea sippin mason jars! The lids have some type of coating and slightly spongy seal thing around the edge. Given this, I believe I don’t need to use some other seal to avoid the scrub touching the metal lid? Mason jar and lid pic attached, excuse my animal pals in the background 😊

Thanks in advance 🌸

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Hi all - simple sugar scrub advice needed, please and thank you.
Using this BB recipe as a guide, but making 2 different takes on it….
https://www.brambleberry.com/articl...tml?cgid=4-body_scrubs_project_studio#start=1
Question 1 for 100 points: if I want to sub the avocado oil out, would sweet almond oil be a good option? One batch will be Cherry Almond FO with pink bursting beads, so the oil swap seems like a good one and I have a big jug….

Question 2 for 200 points: swapping BB extracts would be ok, right? The other batch will be Pineapple Papaya FO and I have Pineapple extract…

Bonus round! Question 3 for 300 points: I think I should add a preservative since they are scrubs and probably will be around water. I only have Optiphen, so it’s that or nothing (base recipe doesn’t list it, but says it’s an option). This seems like a good choice since the scrub is oil based. The guidance says use “at 1%”. So the question is: 1% of what? I assume it’s the total weight of the recipe, so basically the sugar and the oil? Is this right?

Lastly, my containers are these super cute 4oz mason jars with handles, like tiny versions of my sweet tea sippin mason jars! The lids have some type of coating and slightly spongy seal thing around the edge. Given this, I believe I don’t need to use some other seal to avoid the scrub touching the metal lid? Mason jar and lid pic attached, excuse my animal pals in the background 😊

Thanks in advance 🌸
Fun!

Question 1 - You can definitely sub the Avocado oil for Almond oil. And, yeah, makes total sense if you're using a Cherry Almond FO. Yum!

Question 2: Yes, you can sub different extracts.

Question 3: I don't usually add a preservative to my sugar scrubs but I do add Vitamin E; it isn't a preservative but an antioxidant. I also recommend to my customers that they use a scoop and not their fingers to scoop out the scrub. If you choose to use a preservative, it would be 1% of your total recipe weight.

Darn, I missed out on making some good money! Oh well. I'll still share... :)

For the preservative. I have heard both ways: calculate it based on the full weight of the product, or based on the weight without the sugar. Those who fall in the latter camp say that sugar is self-preserving when used at that ratio to the other ingredients.

Thanks, @TheGecko - those little scoop spoons are a great idea.
I had originally searched for "Ice Cream Spoons", but saw these and liked the little bit of curve instead of just being flat and they are 3/4 of an inch longer. They aren't as cheap...$0.05 vs $0.03, but sometimes being cheap...uh...cost effective isn't the way to go.

And you might want to sider offering 'refill packs' for those containers.

Back