Rounded Edge Beveler

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shopped for this yesterday. They are $35.50 now for a set of 2 with sharpener. I went to 2 hardware stores and a specialty woodworkers' store to see if I could just buy one, but no one had them except one place online that has a B&M store near me, but so pricey just to round soap edges. I'll try a vegetable peeler first ... ;)

Do I sound cheap, or just frugal? I want to semi-retire a year or so from now, and am teaching myself (finally) to spend less money and much less frivolous money. That said, would love a chance to try them... SO and I are both kinda tool freaks. :eek: That's a bad match for retirement.
No, you don't sound cheap or frugal (well, maybe frugal :)) but a vegetable peeler won't give you the same radius bevel, and that's what I am going for. Felt the same way about some of the fancier fixed planer/bevelers also. But these are perfect for my use.

My dremel has adjustable speeds. Some router bits have a guide built in that prevents you from going too far into the wood (soap in this case).Oooh, I have a dremel, I'll have to check mine out. Have many attachments too! Thank you for the idea!

The circled piece in this pic is the guide. At low speeds on a dremel, I could see this going by real quick and with no problems. View attachment 37174

What about RV living like Bob Wells - travel around - make soap - look at the view - get bored with the view - travel some more - make some more soap

I’ve been keeping my eye out for an old school bus. My dream is to renovate a bus into a camper and travel for a few years or so. And yes, I’d be making soap along the way. Like a mobile soap stand...

Bro, Love it! Ain’t shop-life the best?

Heck yeah! My house has a detached 2 car garage, and that‘s my workshop. One corner is for soaping and the rest is for my woodworking. Hopefully soon I’ll be doing 3D printing and laser engraving.

Maybe not the best photo and you can’t really see everything, but here it is:
IMG_3629.JPG

Heck yeah! My house has a detached 2 car garage, and that‘s my workshop. One corner is for soaping and the rest is for my woodworking. Hopefully soon I’ll be doing 3D printing and laser engraving.

View attachment 37268
Omg, what a dream workshop. Good for you!

View attachment 37268
That makes me insanely envious. Of the amount of space, the stuff in the space, and the skills to use the stuff in the space LOL

And blue! <3
My livingroom walls are similar..

I do my shop work in the garage as well, but we have to park the cars there 1) because I don't like them outside and 2) because we have neighborhood covenants about cars parked outside. SO, I get to constantly set my shop and take it down. In retirement, I will have a free-standing shop and a much smaller house. I'm envious to say the least.

What about RV living like Bob Wells - travel around - make soap - look at the view - get bored with the view - travel some more - make some more soap

My quilting aunt has a quilting friend who does this! It's her and her dog in an RV, including a long-arm quilting machine. She's got a few friends and she spends a month or two a year in each place. People pay her to finish their quilts. She stays in the RV but parks in a friend's driveway.

My quilting aunt has a quilting friend who does this! It's her and her dog in an RV, including a long-arm quilting machine. She's got a few friends and she spends a month or two a year in each place. People pay her to finish their quilts. She stays in the RV but parks in a friend's driveway.
I got SO hooked on this kind of living - it really is the way to go for people who love to travel. And what a good idea. Your aunt is quite the entrepeneur.

Check out Hippie in a Van (https://ahippieinavan.com/) she has a van outfitted for traveling and making soap as she goes. I think she settled for the winter in Rapid City, SD (the other side of the state from me) - although heaven knows why! With the weather we have in winter I would have chosen a locale further south...

Maxine- which beveler do you have?

This one (which also doubles as a planer)?:
View attachment 37205

Or this one?:
View attachment 37204 View attachment 37206

If it's the acrylic one on top, you can give up trying to figure it out right now- I can tell you that it won't produce any kind of rounded edges at all....it produces a single-facet, jewel-type edge, just like the edges on this soap that I found on ETSY: https://www.etsy.com/listing/639629448/ginger-lime-scented-cold-processed-soap.

If you want the multi-layered rounded edges, the bottom planer (a Kakuri, 1/8 - 1/4 radius plane) is your tool. Just one swipe across the groove does the trick. :thumbs:

IrishLass :)

I got the Kakuri. I love it. Easy to use. Your picture showed not just one rounded edge, but two on the same side. How did you do that?

Hi Maxine- your comment is making me wonder if you might have a different Kakuri radius plane than mine (they make different ones with differently-shaped blades).

Truly- all I do is run each edge of my soap bar down the groove and through the blade- just once- and voila, the bevel comes out just as you see it in my pics.

If your soap bevels aren't coming out like what my pic shows with just one pass through the blade, you've either got a Kakuri plane with a different blade than mine.....or maybe you need to adjust the blade angle. The blade angle can be adjusted by loosening the black screw on top, positioning the blade at your preferred angle, and then retightening the black screw. I had to do that when I first got mine because I didn't like where it was positioned. Hopefully, it's just a simple matter of readjusting the blade angle.

IrishLass :)

I’ve been keeping my eye out for an old school bus. My dream is to renovate a bus into a camper and travel for a few years or so

When I was younger (...so much younger than today...) my parents converted an old bookmobile into an RV for them and we 4 kids to stay in while we went to dog shows. (my parents showed Briards - very successfully, too!). It was a blast to stay in/play in!
You'll have to share the photos of your finished school bus/camper!

LOL - Your tool is just fine, Dean! Soap looks great to me and I'm actually looking at it to buy! lol (chuckling at buying Dean's tool....lol)

I think its worth the $ if its the look that you are going for.

Latest posts

Back