Beveling Tips

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Help me not be a terrible beveler! I like a neat soap look with beveled edges but mine don’t look good. Now I usually just smooth the edges with a gloved finger. But I’m not ready to give up on having clean beveled edges yet! I tend to use inconsistent pressure, going too deep on some sides then trying to even it all up. I’ve tried standard + fancy potato peelers & the blade on my planer. I’m a lefty so it’s always been awkward for me to use a peeler 😆 but I can’t justify spending a ton on a fancy beveler. What’s everyone’s favorite tools & tricks to make it easier? Is there an ideal time frame to wait to bevel after unmolding? (No difference for me if I wait a day, week or month) Is it better to do some edges before the cut or do them all after? Thanks!

I'm also a lefty and struggled to create a decent bevel with a peeler. I bought this box on Amazon and am very happy with the job it does and how easy it is to use.
https://www.amazon.com/PH-PandaHall...6024790&sprefix=soap%20beveler,aps,149&sr=8-5
1646024900747.png
1646024900747.png

The wooden planer/beveler isn't any good because it is a metal blade and it could contaminate the soap. The blade is not stainless steel.

You need a beveler with a 45* attachment so you can lean the soap on it and get a 45* cut everytime. You need full acrylic.
I got this online for <$20 but I can't find one right not. Keep searching because you need to buy acrylic for soap. 100% better than a vegetable peelier.

Attachments

• IMG_3506.jpg
    IMG_3506.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
The wooden planer/beveler isn't any good because it is a metal blade and it could contaminate the soap. The blade is not stainless steel.

You need a beveler with a 45* attachment so you can lean the soap on it and get a 45* cut everytime. You need full acrylic.
I got this online for <$20 but I can't find one right not. Keep searching because you need to buy acrylic for soap. 100% better than a vegetable peelier.
Where did you get that? I'd love to have one. I have the wooden box one above without the drawer and hate it.

I have this one from BrambleBerry, and there is a lot to like about it. It's sturdy, and it has a lip you can hang off the edge of a table, so it stays put. The one wire is extremely easy to keep clean and free of debris, and overall it's very easy to wipe down and keep clean. It's very fast to use if you're doing a lot of bars. I would just zip along with an entire loaf (my soap is usually fairly firm when I unmold), cut the loaf, and then finish the unbeveled edges.

The big drawback is the size of the bevel, however, and you can't adjust it. It takes off a whopping slice of soap.

I MacGyver'd a workaround, though. I took some slim plastic foam sheeting and taped it down over both surfaces to pad it by about 1/8". The soap still zips quickly along, and the bevel is perfect.

Having said all that, I'm planning a destash soon and this may head that direction. The rustic style I've settled on for my bars doesn't lend itself to beveling, though I do like the look and feel of a beveled bar!

https://www.brambleberry.com/shop-b...ler/V000812.html#q=bevel&lang=default&start=1

I have this one from BrambleBerry, and there is a lot to like about it. It's sturdy, and it has a lip you can hang off the edge of a table, so it stays put. The one wire is extremely easy to keep clean and free of debris, and overall it's very easy to wipe down and keep clean. It's very fast to use if you're doing a lot of bars. I would just zip along with an entire loaf (my soap is usually fairly firm when I unmold), cut the loaf, and then finish the unbeveled edges.

The big drawback is the size of the bevel, however, and you can't adjust it. It takes off a whopping slice of soap.

I MacGyver'd a workaround, though. I took some slim plastic foam sheeting and taped it down over both surfaces to pad it by about 1/8". The soap still zips quickly along, and the bevel is perfect.

Having said all that, I'm planning a destash soon and this may head that direction. The rustic style I've settled on for my bars doesn't lend itself to beveling, though I do like the look and feel of a beveled bar!

https://www.brambleberry.com/shop-b...ler/V000812.html#q=bevel&lang=default&start=1
I saw the chunk it takes out on one of the review pics-thats massive! I like your work around tho.

Where did you get that? I'd love to have one. I have the wooden box one above without the drawer and hate it.
I got it on etsy but they don't seem to sell them there anymore. I was hoping someone would come along and say if they'd seen there somewhere. You could choose the depth of cut that you bought. They are great because they don't take much off and you can adjust the amount further by putting a caard on the base. Sorry I can't be of more help.

The Bramble berry one looks like it takes a huge chunk of soap off. I only want the tiniest amount taken off but really evenly.

There are two items I strongly recommend.
Item One is a beveler and planer from LiLu Soap tools. It was recommend by @Rick Jarvis and he was absolutely right. This is a real tool. And I love it! Yes it is not inexpensive. However this tool will last forever. It is made from solid stainless steel. If dropped it will survive well. You can pass it onto your grandchildren if you wish. It has a lip to grip the edge of a workbench. The planer takes teeny tiny bits off. Both the beveler and the planer are easy to use. Simple to wash and store. If you can fit this into your budget you will fall in love. I received a very tiny inheritance check and this was the first tool I purchased for myself. Planing soaps on a kitchen mandolin was shaving too much off and wasn't very even.
Item Two. This beveler was mentioned and recommended by @dibbles. It has multiple choices for edges. I am spending time learning the different edges. It is priced very competitively and I love this as much as I do the item above. Perhaps one day the WildPlantanica designer will add a planer to this tool.

Latest posts

Back