Rounded Edge Beveler

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dean

Reaction score
Got a new veg peeler for beveling. Could not get a perfect bevel with it, plus I prefer a rounded edge. Is there a non-hand held beveler that creates a perfect edge?

Got a new veg peeler for beveling. Could not get a perfect bevel with it, plus I prefer a rounded edge. Is there a non-hand held beveler that creates a perfect edge?
I use my granny’s peeler...probably 70 years old or more -older than me. Still works like a charm. Actually one is a peeler and the others a corer. Wouldn’t trade them for the world!
9A33E798-5DFD-4731-9626-BE333B5C0A7F.jpeg

My 12 year old grandson, Bubba, had to show me how to post a picture. He’s such a wiz that one. Love him to pieces!

Last edited by a moderator:
My 12 year old grandson, Bubba, had to show me how to post a picture. He’s such a wiz that one. Love him to pieces!

The lil cyborgs r great with tech. Is this the same grandson that u caught in the pig-pen?

Naughty boy. Bet he takes after his Georgian uncle.

Back in the 1970s, when I did craft shows every weekend, I used to get comments all the time about how pretty my soaps looked. It’s my vegetable peeler is tell them. Craft shows are so much fun - I love meeting the other crafty ladies.

I remember one time I went to a craft fair in California - Whittier Craft Fair I think. Is that a place? Anyway - I bought some soap from this lady because she told me how wonderful it was. I took it back to my hotel and used it that night. Wouldn’t ya know that I broke out in a rash all over my body. And I just about fell on the floor when I opened the little plastic stuff wrapping. It was the most powerful, sweet, awful smell I ever smelled. I threw it in the trash. If I were to ever go back there, I’d give that lady a piece of my mind. I’ll go to my grave remembering that awful smell.

I think it just might do the trick. I found the below video of a guy using a tool that looks a lot like the one in your link. See what you think:

IrishLass :)

Thanks. That's the $32.59 Cadillac version! I'm considering getting it instead because the wood part where the soap slides through is more of right angle and the blade is held in place by metal and screw instead of piece of wood jammed in.

I bought some handheld Japanese cornering tools from Amazon, but they've gone up in price. The look rather like old fashioned can openers but they work quite well. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073G0LDK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Shopped for this yesterday. They are $35.50 now for a set of 2 with sharpener. I went to 2 hardware stores and a specialty woodworkers' store to see if I could just buy one, but no one had them except one place online that has a B&M store near me, but so pricey just to round soap edges. I'll try a vegetable peeler first ... ;)

Do I sound cheap, or just frugal? I want to semi-retire a year or so from now, and am teaching myself (finally) to spend less money and much less frivolous money. That said, would love a chance to try them... SO and I are both kinda tool freaks. :eek: That's a bad match for retirement.

Last edited:
Shopped for this yesterday. They are $35.50 now for a set of 2 with sharpener. I went to 2 hardware stores and a specialty woodworkers' store, and no one had them except one place online that has a store near me, but so pricey just to round soap edges. I'll try a vegetable peeler first ... ;)

Do I sound cheap, or just frugal? I want to semi-retire a year or so from now, and am teaching myself (finally) to spend less money and much less frivolous money. That said, would love a chance to try them... SO and I are both kinda tool freaks. :eek: That's a bad match for retirement.

I spent my retirement on an expensive beveler.

Sounds uncomfortable. Your entire retirement? How many years were you stuck on top of that beveler!?!

Hi Earlene.

I was kidding. I spent bout $35 on a wood radius planer untested on soap. Still waiting for deliv.

Im a gov emp. The myth is we have great retirement. In reality I’ll have to work until death or eat cat food...which will be awful cuz Im veg.

Hi Earlene.

I was kidding. I spent bout $35 on a wood radius planer untested on soap. Still waiting for deliv.

Im a gov emp. The myth is we have great retirement. In reality I’ll have to work until death or eat cat food...which will be awful cuz Im veg.

My husband, too (federal gov't employee). My most recent concern has been (for when he actually does retire, which he wants to do soon) 'will his pension check ever be withheld like his paycheck was for over a month recently?'. It makes for a very uncertain future when faced with those kinds of fears. My husband says, 'No, that won't happen.' But we didn't expect him to have to work without pay for over a month, and that it would take yet another month to get all the backpay caught up and straightened out, either. At least I have my pensions (two, actually.) I was also a gov't employee, but for a county government in a different state, not the feds. I don't know how it compares to the federal employee pension, but I don't think anyone who works/worked for my former employer would describe it as 'great', especially if they were hired after the 1990's, as they are now providing less and less with each 'tier'. I feel my pensions are more secure than the federal government's pension, but who knows? This recent experience has been a hard lesson on how little protection there is to just about anyone who is not extremely well off financially.

We just need to move to a much cheaper city, town, or rabbit burrow when that blessed day comes!!
Some kind of commune situation would be tremendously cool (in theory). The author Sandor Katz lives somewhere in the Tennessee mountains and they are a self-sufficient commune (of gay men, but I used to wonder if I could join as a token female chief cook or something ;))

We just need to move to a much cheaper city, town, or rabbit burrow when that blessed day comes!!
Some kind of commune situation would be tremendously cool (in theory). The author Sandor Katz lives somewhere in the Tennessee mountains and they are a self-sufficient commune (of gay men, but I used to wonder if I could join as a token female chief cook or something ;))

I was obsessed with ecovillages (the current incarnation of communes) for awhile. Commune living is hard cuz it requires consensus decision making...and now...usually a personal income.

There is a NYT article on Katz’s TN commune but I cant access it. :(

I was obsessed with ecovillages (the current incarnation of communes) for awhile. Commune living is hard cuz it requires consensus decision making...and now...usually a personal income.

There is a NYT article on Katz’s TN commune but I cant access it. :(

Yeah... humans... bummers, most of the time, we are. ;)
[Bummers as in downers. Aw heck, if you're not a sixties hippie you might not get it.]

I have one of his books and he talks a lot about their commune in it.

Back