Rounded Edge Beveler

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone ever tried beveling by using router attachments on a dremel or even just using a router itself?

I’m thinking of experimenting with it. I have a router, a dremel, and numerous attachments for both. Maybe that’ll be next weekends project.

Has anyone ever tried beveling by using router attachments on a dremel or even just using a router itself?

I’m thinking of experimenting with it. I have a router, a dremel, and numerous attachments for both. Maybe that’ll be next weekends project.
That sounds like a soaping disaster waiting to happen! Soap is so soft and a dremel is so powerful relative to its size - I would imaging that you could easily screw up a bevel....unless you created a jig of some sorts!

Shopped for this yesterday. They are $35.50 now for a set of 2 with sharpener. I went to 2 hardware stores and a specialty woodworkers' store to see if I could just buy one, but no one had them except one place online that has a B&M store near me, but so pricey just to round soap edges. I'll try a vegetable peeler first ... ;)

Do I sound cheap, or just frugal? I want to semi-retire a year or so from now, and am teaching myself (finally) to spend less money and much less frivolous money. That said, would love a chance to try them... SO and I are both kinda tool freaks. :eek: That's a bad match for retirement.

If you and your SO know stuff about tools, I'd suggest you try hitting garage sales, estate sales etc. My mom is a wood turner and has gotten some GREAT deals on tools at those. People often don't want to mess with tools. Heck, that could be a retirement job for you - buy tools for dirt cheap at estate sales etc and sell on Ebay.

I think it just might do the trick. I found the below video of a guy using a tool that looks a lot like the one in your link. See what you think:

IrishLass :)

Got it! Now I need some cured soap to bevel.
upload_2019-3-4_17-1-42.jpeg

That sounds like a soaping disaster waiting to happen! Soap is so soft and a dremel is so powerful relative to its size - I would imaging that you could easily screw up a bevel....unless you created a jig of some sorts!

My dremel has adjustable speeds. Some router bits have a guide built in that prevents you from going too far into the wood (soap in this case).

The circled piece in this pic is the guide. At low speeds on a dremel, I could see this going by real quick and with no problems.
IMG_4152.JPG

My dremel has adjustable speeds. Some router bits have a guide built in that prevents you from going too far into the wood (soap in this case).

The circled piece in this pic is the guide. At low speeds on a dremel, I could see this going by real quick and with no problems. View attachment 37174

Your shop experiments are fantastic and I am so here for it!

My dentist uses a tool that resembles a mini-dremel for cleaning teeth. I always wonder how much damage it could cause if not used with caution. Not that I'd want to start trimming my soaps with it, but with caution, I think a small & well controlled tool such as that would make short work of creating all kinds of fancy designs on soap. Why, you could carve soaps and create all kinds of intricate designs.

My dentist uses a tool that resembles a mini-dremel for cleaning teeth. I always wonder how much damage it could cause if not used with caution. Not that I'd want to start trimming my soaps with it, but with caution, I think a small & well controlled tool such as that would make short work of creating all kinds of fancy designs on soap. Why, you could carve soaps and create all kinds of intricate designs.

Soap carving IS a thing.... Especially in prisons. lol

My dremel has a long pen-like attachment that basically turns it into a version of what dentists use. I use it for carving wood, and yes it does short work of wood, so imagine soap?!? Though, I suspect it’d be smarter to carve a block of wood or clay then create a silicone mold of that, so you can make a bunch of “carved” soap bars?

Soap carving IS a thing.... Especially in prisons. lol

My dremel has a long pen-like attachment that basically turns it into a version of what dentists use. I use it for carving wood, and yes it does short work of wood, so imagine soap?!? Though, I suspect it’d be smarter to carve a block of wood or clay then create a silicone mold of that, so you can make a bunch of “carved” soap bars?

I’d be curious if it works better on soap that’s fully cured or a few weeks out. The biggest problem I can imagine would be if you did mani at once the metal might heat up enough to cause some melting but ‍♀️

I’d be curious if it works better on soap that’s fully cured or a few weeks out. The biggest problem I can imagine would be if you did mani at once the metal might heat up enough to cause some melting but ‍♀️

I don’t suspect the friction created would generate enough heat. Soap, even when cured, is too soft. I’ll carve one for ya this weekend and find out =)

I bought one of the bevelers that IrishLass uses. I bit pricey but it creates a nice edge with one swipe across the blade. I haven't figured out how to make the multiple rounded edges yet that IrishLass has (very beautiful!). Still working on that.

Maxine- which beveler do you have?

This one (which also doubles as a planer)?:
IMG_5270PlanerBeveller640.JPG

Or this one?:
IMG_5271KakuriBevellerUnderside640.JPG IMG_5272KakuriBevellerTopside640.JPG

If it's the acrylic one on top, you can give up trying to figure it out right now- I can tell you that it won't produce any kind of rounded edges at all....it produces a single-facet, jewel-type edge, just like the edges on this soap that I found on ETSY: https://www.etsy.com/listing/639629448/ginger-lime-scented-cold-processed-soap.

If you want the multi-layered rounded edges, the bottom planer (a Kakuri, 1/8 - 1/4 radius plane) is your tool. Just one swipe across the groove does the trick. :thumbs:

Maxine- which beveler do you have?

This one (which also doubles as a planer)?:
View attachment 37205

Or this one?:
View attachment 37204 View attachment 37206

If it's the acrylic one on top, you can give up trying to figure it out right now- I can tell you that it won't produce any kind of rounded edges at all....it produces a single-facet, jewel-type edge, just like the edges on this soap that I found on ETSY: https://www.etsy.com/listing/639629448/ginger-lime-scented-cold-processed-soap.

If you want the multi-layered rounded edges, the bottom planer (a Kakuri, 1/8 - 1/4 radius plane) is your tool. Just one swipe across the groove does the trick. :thumbs:

Whats a multi layered rounded edge?

Those aren't my terms, but Maxine's. I took her term as meaning that the bevel is not 'flat' or somewhat 1-dimensional like this, but more multi-dimensional like this:
View attachment 37214

I thought it was the middle tool that made the multi-edge bevel so I didn't buy it. Would you mind posting a pic of a soap beveled with the middle tool?

img_5271kakuribevellerunderside640-jpg.37204

Hi Dean- the middle tool is actually the very same tool that's shown in the bottom pic, just turned over to expose it's underbelly. :)

Ok, so I had to cut my soap from Sunday, and I figured since I was already in my workshop I may as well experiment with my router bit.

I put it on my drill press and used an hdpe sheet as the base so the soap will slide easy. I’m going to post a video in a new thread, but here’s some photos of the beveled soap:
IMG_4172.JPG
IMG_4179.JPG

Latest posts

Back