Round soap packaging

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been experimenting with putting a tiny puncture in the plastic film on the back flat face of my felted soaps -- by tiny, I mean a needle prick is plenty good -- to carefully blow a small hole on the backside of the wrap, so customers can smell the soap and touch the felt.
If this is "different thread-worthy" let me know - but what's "felted soap"?

A felted soap is a bar of soap with wool batting wrapped around it, and the wool has been felted with moisture, friction, and warmth to form a dense mat. The process is pretty much like felting a favorite wool sweater in the wash, if you've ever made that mistake. The felted covering is decorative, acts as a built-in washcloth, and also keeps little kids from eating the soap, if you happen to have a little one with that tendency. There are many, many variations on felted soaps -- google "felted soap" and you'll see lots of examples made by artists far more talented than I am.

To keep this related to the OP's thread, the pic shows felted soaps with a shrink bag covering. A card-stock label is sandwiched between the soap and the plastic film. I did put a tiny nick in the back face of the shrink wrap on these soaps to create a larger hole for a "touchy-smelly" spot. I didn't think to photograph that detail, unfortunately.

I think round soaps as felted soaps would be neat. I've seen soaps that have been formed into hearts, spheres, irregular "rock" shapes and then felted.

DSC_0018.jpg

Last edited:
Back