Wanting to learn more about twist-up tubes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm thinking of switching my lotion bar packaging from tins to tubes (and maybe my stain sticks too). I'm overwhelmed with all the options.

* Plastic vs cardboard? I like the recyclable-ness of cardboard but wondering if they're sturdy enough? And plastic seems more commonly available.

* What size do you think is optimal? My current bars are about 1.5 oz. Tubes seem easier to find in either 1 or 2 oz. The larger size are more expensive and I'm concerned the cost of the tube and bigger size will up what I need to charge too much. Is 1 oz big enough?

* Oval vs round? Top fill or bottom fill? Anything else I should know before I buy some?

Thanks for any insights you can all share on this!

I use 1oz and 2oz top-fill plastic tubes, and my users love them. I prefer the oval over the round for creating a more easily-readable label on the flatter face of the tube.

The cardboard ones I tried could not withstand the oil from the lotion bars, which always seeped through and made an ugly grease stain on the outside. The cardboard tubes aren't truly recyclable because they have oil residue on them (just like food residue makes paper plates non-recyclable after use). The cardboard tubes also aren't truly compostable, since the protective inner lining/coating doesn't truly decompose. It may break down into small bits, but those small bits are still plastic and will remain as such forever.

For those reasons, a wholly plastic container that can go into a plastics recycling bin is a better option, in my opinion. It's also does a better job holding and dispensing the product.

I use 1oz and 2oz top-fill plastic tubes, and my users love them. I prefer the oval over the round for creating a more easily-readable label on the flatter face of the tube.

The cardboard ones I tried could not withstand the oil from the lotion bars, which always seeped through and made an ugly grease stain on the outside. The cardboard tubes aren't truly recyclable because they have oil residue on them (just like food residue makes paper plates non-recyclable after use). The cardboard tubes also aren't truly compostable, since the protective inner lining/coating doesn't truly decompose. It may break down into small bits, but those small bits are still plastic and will remain as such forever.

For those reasons, a wholly plastic container that can go into a plastics recycling bin is a better option, in my opinion. It's also does a better job holding and dispensing the product.
Thank you! That's a lot of good info, about several things I didn't even consider! So I'll be looking for plastic oval top-fill tubes for sure.

As for size, do you prefer the 1 or 2 oz for lotion bars? I'm thinking 1 oz. because the lotion might last longer being used from a tube rather than rubbed between the palms and it would keep them more affordable.

As for size, do you prefer the 1 or 2 oz for lotion bars? I'm thinking 1 oz. because the lotion might last longer being used from a tube rather than rubbed between the palms and it would keep them more affordable.
I definitely prefer the 1oz - it lasts quite a long time and is a nice small purse size.

Thank you for this, @AliOop. At my last market, I had a customer (the first and only!) suggest that I should use cardboard tubes. I don't like the look of them, I don't like the fact that the cardboard absorbs the oil, and I don't like the thought of disintegrating cardboard on my lips. I said as much to her and her comment was, "they're better for the environment". I've never used them so I couldn't argue with her but you just made my argument for me.

I'll stick with the plastic ones I already use.

I'm with you @Misschief . I think people sometimes are focused on the concept of environmentally correct without full understanding of all the issues.

Actually I just double-checked my order, and I use the ½-oz tubes.
You use 1/2 oz for lotion bars? It sounds more like lip balm size.

They are small, but definitely bigger than lip balm.

Screenshot 2023-12-22 at 9.18.21 PM.png

@AliOop What a day! DH and I drove to the coast today for a mini-vacation to unwind after all my holiday markets. Google sent us on windy back roads by accident so it took 4-1/2 hrs to do a 3-hr drive. Finally arrived and checked into our motel, and I soon discovered I'd forgotten to pack my bathroom bag. Lucky enough to find a Dollar General and bought enough basics to get by -- including a 1/2 oz twist-up deodorant. You're right: it looks like a great size for a lotion bar!

I'm thinking of switching my lotion bar packaging from tins to tubes (and maybe my stain sticks too). I'm overwhelmed with all the options.

* Plastic vs cardboard? I like the recyclable-ness of cardboard but wondering if they're sturdy enough? And plastic seems more commonly available.

* What size do you think is optimal? My current bars are about 1.5 oz. Tubes seem easier to find in either 1 or 2 oz. The larger size are more expensive and I'm concerned the cost of the tube and bigger size will up what I need to charge too much. Is 1 oz big enough?

* Oval vs round? Top fill or bottom fill? Anything else I should know before I buy some?

Thanks for any insights you can all share on this!
I went from metal containers to cardboard tubes and the plastic deodorant style tubes for my lotion bars....I am now switching back to metal containers simply because when the lotion sticks get warm they melt.

I went from metal containers to cardboard tubes and the plastic deodorant style tubes for my lotion bars....I am now switching back to metal containers simply because when the lotion sticks get warm they melt.
One of my users left her tin in the sun, and the melted product was almost impossible to get out of the tin until she heated it back up with a blowdryer and scraped/poured it out into a little mold.

I haven't had anyone with the tubes complain about melting. Bu if the tube product did melt, then once it resolidified, wouldn't it would be usable like normal?

If the bars get too warm they will melt in whatever container they're in. And wouldn't they re-solidify in whatever container they're in when they cool? I've had my lip balm in tubes melt in the car. I just left the cap on and let them cool and they were fine.

One of my users left her tin in the sun, and the melted product was almost impossible to get out of the tin until she heated it back up with a blowdryer and scraped/poured it out into a little mold.

I haven't had anyone with the tubes complain about melting. Bu if the tube product did melt, then once it resolidified, wouldn't it would be usable like normal?
Yes, it would resolidify, however, if you have the tube in your purse it might not be the best place you would want it to melt. I had a customer that had some on their store shelves. The room was relatively warm and a couple of them melted. If in a tin with a screw top you would have less chance of melting butters/oils leaking out.

If the bars get too warm they will melt in whatever container they're in. And wouldn't they re-solidify in whatever container they're in when they cool? I've had my lip balm in tubes melt in the car. I just left the cap on and let them cool and they were fine.
I've been making my lip balm for more than 20 years now. One of my local customers leaves one in her vehicle year round. Summers here in the Okanagan can get as high as 40C (100+F); inside a vehicle sitting in the sun, the temps can be even higher. She raves about my lip balm because 1) it works well and 2) it didn't melt. Yes, it did soften but it didn't melt. She was very impressed. To be clear, I don't recommend leaviing a lip balm in a vehicle in the summer sun but it was good to hear that it didn't become a oily puddle.

Thank you for this, @AliOop. At my last market, I had a customer (the first and only!) suggest that I should use cardboard tubes. I don't like the look of them, I don't like the fact that the cardboard absorbs the oil, and I don't like the thought of disintegrating cardboard on my lips. I said as much to her and her comment was, "they're better for the environment". I've never used them so I couldn't argue with her but you just made my argument for me.

I'll stick with the plastic ones I already use.
For the record, cardboard that is saturated with wax and/or oil is NOT recyclable. Even if it were, would this really help save the planet? Ask the customer if she drove a car to the market.

For the record, cardboard that is saturated with wax and/or oil is NOT recyclable. Even if it were, would this really help save the planet? Ask the customer if she drove a car to the market.
That particular customer, and her husband, drive an electric car and cycle a lot. I forgot about the "dirty" cardboard not being recyclable. Good point.

Latest posts

Back