re-batching help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awi

Reaction score
I am wanting to try re-batching some bars of soap that didn't turn out of the mold pretty along with some scraps from trimming. Somewhere i wrote down a simple way to do this and now for the life of me, I cannot find the directions! I do remember that you grate the soap up and place it into an oven safe bowl and use the oven to melt it all down. I don't remember the temperature. There was a formula of so many lbs. of soap needed so many lbs. of water....and you cook it for an hour or so??? Can anyone help me?

thanks so much! :D

I haven't had good luck with melting down older soap. Rebatching has only worked for me if the soap is pretty fresh. I had a bowl of soap in the oven for hours once! I think a crock pot is a better option if you have one. As for the water, I don't remember a formula but it isn't pounds of water more like ounces.

How old is the soap? I would try 1 TBS. of water per lb. of soap. It will take longer then 1 hr. before it gets to a mashed potato stage.

The soap is probably a year old. Is it ready when it reaches the "mashed potatoes consistency?"

I am re-batching today too, a fresh batch that needed a lot of trimming. So I am following the tutorial from SMF so we will see how it goes. Never done this before:)

I am a fan of crockpot . about 1-2 Tablespoon water each lb soap . place soap and water in crockpot let it melt will take at least hour stirring after about 45 minutes. glop in mold remember due to cools down fairly quick so not much play room for adding anything and getting it in mold.

Back