My lesson to slow down!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am embarrassed to admit this but maybe it will save someone from something similar happening to them. Last week I was reminded a very valuable lesson to SLOOOOOW DOWN! I make batches of 5 loaves at a time and have what I thought was a pretty good rhythm in my set up and pours. Everything ready to go, oils heating up, water weighed, time to pour in the lye. I must have poured it too fast because my water/lye bath instantly exploded my pyrex bowl. I was so lucky it didnt explode right in my face, 28 ounces water and 12 ounces of lye and shattered glass all over my table and floor. what a fun clean up job that was but very grateful to say no harm to me. What an eye opener. After a thorough clean I made myself redo and finish this batch and will forever now take it really slow and careful. WHEW! Scared the heck out of me!

I am embarrassed to admit this but maybe it will save someone from something similar happening to them. Last week I was reminded a very valuable lesson to SLOOOOOW DOWN! I make batches of 5 loaves at a time and have what I thought was a pretty good rhythm in my set up and pours. Everything ready to go, oils heating up, water weighed, time to pour in the lye. I must have poured it too fast because my water/lye bath instantly exploded my pyrex bowl. I was so lucky it didnt explode right in my face, 28 ounces water and 12 ounces of lye and shattered glass all over my table and floor. what a fun clean up job that was but very grateful to say no harm to me. What an eye opener. After a thorough clean I made myself redo and finish this batch and will forever now take it really slow and careful. WHEW! Scared the heck out of me!
And, that right there, is the reason we tell new soapmakers NOT to use Pyrex.

I'm so sorry this happened to you but relieved to hear you weren't harmed. It could have been a LOT worse!

WOW!! I had no idea. I taught myself how to make soap from a book years ago and the supplies it suggested for lye water container was pyrex. I purchased all of the recommended supplies and have been using ever since! I am learning a lot this week after years of soap making! any recommendation for a large container I should be using? Im looking into it now but would love to hear from the experts!

Last edited:
IMG_5893.JPG

Just cut into soap batch #210, "Stones by the Sea", the last batch using pyrex for my lye mix! Just ordered a heavy duty plastic from Amazon :)

Glad to hear that you are alright! It does sound like you poured the lye too quickly into the water. I'm really new to soap making but spent many years working in lab. I agree with everyone that it is best to not use pyrex or any glass-like material just for reasons like you experienced.

In a lab things are much more controlled because we typically use magnetic stirrers, have dispensers and other lab supplies that allow us better control at mixing chemicals. That said, it did happen once that I saw a flask (it was part of an elaborate setup) shoot straight up like a rocket, hit the ceiling, come down and smash into a million pieces. Thankfully we were all wearing lab coats, protective eyewear and gloves and no one was hurt. After thoughtful analysis it was determined that the stir bar wasn't stirring, which caused a high concentration gradient to form creating a reaction similar to yours. It's a testament that wearing protective clothing and safety equipment works.

Again, so glad to hear that you weren't injured!

WOW!! I had no idea. I taught myself how to make soap from a book years ago and the supplies it suggested for lye water container was pyrex. I purchased all of the recommended supplies and have been using ever since! I am learning a lot this week after years of soap making! any recommendation for a large container I should be using? Im looking into it now but would love to hear from the experts!
I use stainless steel bowls for soapmaking.

Pyrex used to be made of borosilicate glass which is very heat and thermal shock resistant. Thermal shock means going from one temperature extreme to another quickly - like when we mix lye and water. Sometime in the 90s Pyrex switched to a soda lime glass which is less temperate and thermal shock resistant.

It could be that your teacher used the old borosilicate Pyrex which would have been perfectly fine. Not so anymore. 😓

I ordered the 2nd one, the polypropylene. So glad I posted this, I learned a lot!
Glad you ordered the polypropylene beakers. That’s what I use. My go to for mixing larger batches holds 3000 ml. If you make seriously larger batches, you can order the 5000 ml. For very small batches, and for my larger batches of lye water, I use a 1000 ml beaker. The beakers are great because I can use them in the microwave and the handles and pouring spout work perfectly when it comes time to split batches or do a direct pour.
https://www.amazon.com/Globe-Scient...sprefix=globe+scientific+beaker,aps,97&sr=8-4

Last edited:
@sharoncarpenter2 So glad you’re okay! Thank you for sharing your experience. I’m a new soap maker. Have been using plastic pitchers I ordered from TheSage.com because I did a lot of reading here before attempting to make soap. There is so much to learn!

@artemis That video is so helpful! A little scary, so thank you for posting it!

Glad to hear that you are safe. I had to order my stuff but now no to PYREX for at least for soap making

Glad you ordered the polypropylene beakers. That’s what I use. My go to for mixing larger batches holds 3000 ml. If you make seriously larger batches, you can order the 5000 ml. For very small batches, and for my larger batches of lye water, I use a 1000 ml beaker. The beakers are great because I can use them in the microwave and the handles and pouring spout work perfectly when it comes time to split batches or do a direct pour.
https://www.amazon.com/Globe-Scient...sprefix=globe+scientific+beaker,aps,97&sr=8-4
Agree, I have three of those pitchers, 1000, 2000, and 3000 ml (Amazon says I purchased that exact one) and I use them all the time. In fact I think I’ll get the 5,000 ml one. I have an accupour 3 gallon bucket too, it was silly expensive but is so handy for big batches. Have to watch out for the aluminum handle. Amazon.com
I haven’t had good experiences with polystyrene, it’s brittle and even if it says dishwasher safe it seems to develop those micro cracks and become unusable.

Latest posts

Back