Rancid Laundry Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cally

Reaction score
I've found some rancid coconut, palm and cocoa. I'm wondering if I can make these into a laundry bar, and since I don't want any rancidity left make it with a 0% or even -1% (or so) superfat so that I'm assured all of it will become soap. If I do this would it be alright to handle and mix into a laundry soap? I'm on a septic tank so I don't want this to damage my washer or the field or anything. Anyone have any advice?

I would make soap for the laundry with a 0% superfat. I don't think it will hurt your septic tank, we are using one and I have been making soap for several years. Your soap might smell rancid though, I have never used rancid oils for soap.

If the oils are already rancid, not superfatting isn't going to make them not rancid in the soap. They're already rancid.

Why couldn't you load up that oil and wash in large canner full of boiling water? Maybe wash a couple times? That's the old timey way they would wash up all the grease leftovers.

I think that was to get the sediment out of the bacon grease. I am not sure it would work for the smell. I have heard of people melting grease with potato peelings, supposedly that was supposed to help with the strong taste and smell. I can't vouch for the results. :wink:

http://www.pioneerliving.net/soapmaking.htm

Latest posts

Back