Question?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't sell, but do give things as gifts. I sometimes find that a simple creative name change can rescue a warped color and turn it into something unusual and fun.

That nice hue that warped a sickly purple and I did with apple scent? Rename it to Witch Queen Apple and it suddenly becomes incredibly popular!

Morpheus, I just did a batch that did not come out as planned - too dark, overswirled - and just looked ugly to me. I don't sell, but renamed it as "Starry, Starry Nights" in my own mind, and now it looks so much nicer!

For once I will stay out of the "should not be selling debate", but will say I never worry about these type of sellers in my markets. Back to my main reason for adding to this thread. Spriulina does not smell in soap, at least not in a fragranced soap, can be used in large amounts to acquire color in your soap, but and this is the big but, it is UV sensitive and will turn light brown given time.

I've been making soap for family and friends since 2010 or so, I changed the recipe I used a lot the first year or two but i settled in to my current one awhile ago and it's worked nicely for along time. But I've always made soap the way I wanted. This is my first season and I went into it with about 40 to 50 scents. I've had quite a few failures trying to get to that number all last year. I had a fresh linen lock so fast the soap an my spoon looked like a Popsicle just stuck right in it. But as far as recipe and colors I've used more or less the same one. Up until February of 2014 i didn't even realize soap could lock like that I've always used essential oils but after I was convinced to start selling I started using fragrance oils and realized it's a whole different world. Need to be on my toes, no more forgetting to line the molds and doing it while the soap waits. It didn't want to wait. Yes I'm seeing that jumping into a new way of coloring was a mistake. I've made plenty of them, sure I'm going to make more. I had just gotten used to my standard recipe working and issues usually coming from fragrances. I didn't get into this for money it's never been about that. I've always loved making the soap for people but now I've found that more then the soap making I love standing at the table and talking about the craft to any person who's made the mistake of letting me get started on the subject. Also people thanking you for a good product is a really good feeling also. Do you really believe it's about money when like I said earlier I'm at a farmers market with 8 vendors and two are soap makers. If it wasn't for my following I wouldnt make any money at all. As it is it's just enough keep the cycle going. I got upset with guy because 1, it's was three in the morning and I was cranky and 2 a couple of other people were able to say the same thing he did without belittling me. I still thanked him for his advice and I took it to heart, made a 4 mini bar batch with the spirallia stuff the second the health food store opened. So I apologize to those I've upset with me biting the gentlemen head off. I should have had thicker skin than that. Neil

Thank you for apologizing, we can all get cranky and short when we are tired. Most of us here have thick skin or have grown it. I don't know of one person here that would try to belittle someone on purpose, BUT not one of us will sugar coat anything either. Many of us are blunt and to the point because we don't have the time to waste trying to tippy-toe around. Many of us also have very strong opinions, that said they are opinions so take them for what they are worth. However when it comes to facts you won't find a better forum for finding answers, they may not always be presented the way you want but you will get correct information.

That said, welcome to the forum!

Spriulina does not smell in soap, at least not in a fragranced soap, can be used in large amounts to acquire color in your soap, but and this is the big but, it is UV sensitive and will turn light brown given time.

Carolyn has a great point here. Spirulina does create a nice green, but beware to cure and store in an area that isn't exposed to much light. I used spirulina in a batch of Ginger Lime soap recently and cured it on my drying racks in my office. There is a curtained window perpendicular to the drying racks, but I wouldn't describe the sunlight level as direct (or even bright) by any stretch of the imagination (I live near Seattle, home perpetual overcast days). The soaps that were near the front of the curing shelf faded to a light opaque brown almost immediately, while the soaps that were farther back on the shelf retained their nice green color very well 2 months out. I think the color, faded or not, went well with the scent combo, so I was okay with the morphing. You can see here in the pics how pronounced the difference can be. Anyway, moral of the story is that spirulina is also photosensitive!

20150717_160622.jpg

20150717_160537.jpg

I agree, thank you for stepping up to the plate and apologizing. I understand over-reaction, I have lots of things that lead me that way (including insomnia, so if I am feeling heated, I often step back and put something in draft before I post it. It is not fun to read a post that you regret in the morning - the internet equivalent of the walk of shame! I hate when I do that.)

This board is super helpful, the people are really nice, and the TOS are strictly enforced, which I like (and I hope you will as well). Honestly, the trigger usually gets pulled pretty fast, I think the reason this thread wasn't shut down earlier is b/c the unacceptable words were directed towards EG, and he probably hesitated to do it b/c he didn't want people to think he was pulling rank, he would have if they were directed to someone else, although I hesitate to speak for him. I'm glad that he waited, and that you had a chance to think about it. Stay, do, and do what I say, not what I do sometimes (w/r/t posting without thinking :))

Last edited:
Oh wow those are pretty - even with the fading. I love how the textures look different in the soaps.
For me the big faders have been fresh green seaweed, comfrey and nettle, testing spirulina now, still to test is parsley. But they all depend on chlorophyll and that's gonna fade eventually no matter what I think.

Oh wow those are pretty - even with the fading. I love how the textures look different in the soaps.
For me the big faders have been fresh green seaweed, comfrey and nettle, testing spirulina now, still to test is parsley. But they all depend on chlorophyll and that's gonna fade eventually no matter what I think.

Thanks, Seawolfe! I've been using ground parsley for a while now (I like to grind it with a mortar and pestle so that I still have some specks in the soap for a more rustic look), and it seems to hold a little bit better for me although it also fades over time. Those natural greens are so elusive! Most of the time I stick to chromium oxide green, but it's fun to experiment with other natural colorants.

Here's some soap I made with the ground parsley. The first pic was taken about 2 weeks after unmolding, and the second pic is about 4 months in. The pics were taken on different wood, with different natural lighting, so take that into account. The color fades, but I kind of like the effect!

20150330_111248.jpg

20150724_085227.jpg

It shows a great depth of character to apologize, especially on a quasi-anonymous forum. I also appreciate that. I admit, I am harder of people who sell because, as has been said, sugar-coating things just won't help anyone in the long run.

I hope this green works out for you. But if it is in a recipe with an FO then I would certainly look at oxides for the colour as with FOs you're already away from "natural" so no need to struggle with a natural colour

My seaweed soap faded to that same pretty gold color! If you plan for it, its not a bad thing. Like you I depend on chromium green oxide if I need it to stay green. Now I just need to get better at dispersing it better so I don't get those color specks...

and Slipknott - that WAS a nice apology, thanks! Now we are all chatting about greens like nothing ever happened :)

Slippknot, I am w/every one else on the oxides, GCO is a lovely green, it is a good sturdy color by itself, and I especially like it for blending. I know it is a pain to explain oxides if you sell, I wish you guys could label it in some easy, quick way that makes it clear that they are nature identical but actually better than ones that are mined b/c of the toxins.

Last edited:
Im kind of tempted to try a mix of indigo (blue) and annatto (yellow) to see what kind of green it makes.

I almost always add in some green oxide to my natural green colorants. I do love the look of powdered spinach for coloring

Where do you get your powdered spinach? (she says, eyeing her dehydrator speculatively).

Eeek I was about to try parsley for coloring my "fresh cut grass" scented soaps. nevermind... fresh cut and peed on grass that would be.

*eyes the dried spinach idea* Ok, does that fade? Not touching chlorophyll now...

Well since I have some attention over here made I'll ask about something that's eating at me. I just made oatmeal milk honey but left the honey out cuz I don't like working with it in the oils. I got a hex wrench cleaned it and made a honey comb pattern in the top of the soap . I was going to put the honey in the combs and hope during the six week cure the surface of the honey would stiffen up. As of right now it's in the drying cabinet without the honey cuz I chickened out. Was afraid the honey would never stiffen. Question is has any ever done it this way and did the honey stiffen up or stay liquidy .

I have never tried it. Hopefully soneone who has will chime in. My guess though is that it will stay liquid. When i use honey i add it straight to the oils before the lye water and after pour i stick it in the fridge cause the sugars in it like to cause my batches to get hot.

Edit: words

I don't know, slip knot, that seems like a lot of honey. If you are just putting it into the cavities that your wrench produced, that is, maybe I am reading this wrong (how come you don't use bubble wrap to make the pattern, it is so much easier?) I would think that the honey would just sit on top and not get absorbed v. well.

Back