question about round cavity mold

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MzMolly65

Reaction score
I jumped in and bought a silicone, round cavity mold for those fast setting soaps I want to try (Pine tar, etc)

Today I tried it with an easy soap to get a feel for it. I'm glad I did .. who knew it wouldn't be as easy as I thought .. bahhahahaha!!

First mistake was ALL MINE. I forgot to do the math and calculate how much oil to use for the mold. I just went with 3lb mold, 3lbs oil .. OOOPS!!! 1/2 way through pouring my brain is realizing there's water and cornmeal scrub in this and I'm going to need a lot more mold. Good thing I bought two of those, LOL!

After running off to get the second mold, it was all getting pretty thick by the time I started filling the last cavities so the top side was a bit of a blob mountain. I put some plastic wrap on them and tried to smooth them with my fingers. Hmm ... It's none too pretty.

Here I thought it was as easy as pour and press to get out. If planing is needed all the time I'm going to be brassed because I have cylinder molds and cutting the soaps makes for perfect sides every time. I was trying to avoid the cutting, thinking the cavities would be faster/easier.

The bottom sides all look amazingly smooth and clean, like yellow hockey pucks. (which gives me an idea for some themed hockey puck soaps .. hmmm .. brain hamster just got back on the wheel)

How do you all fill those cavities so the soaps come out looking great or do you end up planing them all the time to finish them?

Take the straight side (not sharp side) of a large knife, or anything similar, run it across the top of the mold to scrape off the rounded soap batter. Hope that description makes sense. :)

edited: do this before the soap sets of course.

Take the straight side (not sharp side) of a large knife, or anything similar, run it across the top of the mold to scrape off the rounded soap batter. Hope that description makes sense. :)

edited: do this before the soap sets of course.

Well .. how did the obvious elude me???

Thanks for that knock on the head :lolno:

Latest posts

Back