I love cavity molds!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Mobjack Bay - how do you get the swirls all the way through the soap in the rectangular molds? I’ve only used this type of mold so far and I’m scratching my head on how to do various pours with such a tiny area.

@Mobjack Bay - how do you get the swirls all the way through the soap in the rectangular molds? I’ve only used this type of mold so far and I’m scratching my head on how to do various pours with such a tiny area.
I usually either do an ”in the pot” type swirl, for an allover swirl effect, or I pour contrasting soap into each individual mold using a small pinched paper cup and then swirl it using a skewer or toothpick. A faux funnel type pour Is easy if your batter is behaving. Check out this YT video by Primadonna Soap for another kind of simple swirl in a cavity mold. The back of the soap will never look quite the same as the front, but sometimes I like it as much or better.

Looky look what I just got!

I plan to make @Zany_in_CO ‘s no slime Castile in these. IMG_6406.jpeg

Wow wow wow wow wow. I missed this when I was on an unplugged vacation.
So many soaps! Do ya ever sleep?!

I REALLY like the leaves. Am I right that you pour just a teeny bit of one color into the very bottom for the veins, and then a different color for the larger part of the mold?

And the sea stuff! I can't believe all the detail you get on the octopus. Not to hijack, but have I mentioned the movie My Octopus Teacher?

Do you get ash? That's my issue with single cavities.

@Zing I do the leaves as a single color. Two colors would be too fiddly for me.

If I pour when the batter has just, just barely reached trace, cover the cavity mold with a silicone mat, pop it on a heating pad for a couple of hours on low/warm/medium (depends on the temp batter went in the mold and also recipe and scent dependent) and then keep it well bundled/warm and air free, I can avoid ash and unmold in two days. This is at 40% lye concentration. For the octopus mold, which has incredible detail to begin with, I also add sodium lactate to my already fairly firm recipe (29% palmitic & stearic) and the soap bar pops out cleanly after two days.

@Basil told me about My Octopus Teacher and I LOVE it!

Just bought leaf molds on temu. Have purchased from them before with success
https://share.temu.com/GykzxdlbuFA

@bwtapestry , I just bought those leaf molds on temu, too! I haven't decided what exactly I'll do with them. So, post a pic when you make a soap- maybe I'll get inspired. I only do melt & pour, so I am definitely into molds ....

@bwtapestry , I've looked at those molds on temu but it seemed like two of the cavities were pretty big, maybe bigger than you could really hold in your hand. Can you tell me what the dimensions are on the 4 cavities? I like ethnic art, so those are kind of up my alley taste-wise. I'm wondering why you would use them for "lotion bars" and not just straight up soap? To be honest, I don't even know what a "lotion bar" is!! Help me out here ....

@Mobjack Bay, did this thread start somewhere else? I don't see any photos posted on this thread. I'd love to see your photos.

Latest posts

Back