Plexiglass molds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Does anyone use plexiglass molds for CP?

I have a really tough time getting the log OUT of the darn mold. Do you line these things or is there something technique for easier release?

I have a three-chamber plexiglass mold that I'd like to start using, as each chamber holds six pounds of soap.....but I can get the soap out of the blasted mold!

UGH!!!!!

x

i have several pvc tube molds. (3" x 12") i always line with waxed paper and a little scotch tape to hold it in place. my soap always pops right out. i make whipped rtcp in these molds and they always warm up a little.

My hub made me a couple of plexiglass molds. It takes a few batches to "season" the molds, which make them release better (IMO) but in the meantime just pop them in the freezer. If they don't fit find someplace cold like a garage and leave them sit for a while. They will eventually come out.

I use cut up disposable plastic chopping mats to line my wooden log molds. I bought a pack of them at Canadian Tire for around $5. I cut strips from them to fit the sides, ends, and bottom of my mold. When the soap is set, I pop it in the freezer for about 15 minutes, and the chopping mats peel right off the soap. The edges of my soap are so nice and smooth. They wash up really easy and are ready to use over and over again!

This is the best thing I've used so far to line my molds. I keep telling as many people about it as I can! You can probably find the disposable chopping mats at your grocery store, dollar store, or Walmart.

Yep, Walmart has them.. I just got a pack of 3 for 2.97 the other day. Havent cut them up for molds, just used them around the kitchen for various things.

hi Ashley, are they just called disposable chopping mats.....or is there a specific name I should look for. They sound ideal. How is their packaging, do they come in a dispenser & are they like paper. Never heard of them. But would like to try them.

Those are all good ideas for wooden log molds, but you don't have to line plexiglass unless you want too. Really just a couple of batches in and the soap will then just start sliding out.

misty said:
hi Ashley, are they just called disposable chopping mats.....or is there a specific name I should look for. They sound ideal. How is their packaging, do they come in a dispenser & are they like paper. Never heard of them. But would like to try them.

I can't remember exactly what they are called and I don't have the packaging anymore, but they were something along the lines of "disposable chopping mat". Mine came in a pack of 5 (all different colours), and they were large, about 16"x10". I didn't really know exactly what I was looking for when I got them either, but as soon as I saw them I knew they'd work! You will probably come across them somewhere! As long as they aren't textured they'll do!

Back