CPOP lesson learned

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I primarily do HP soap making and decided I wanted to try CPOP. So, instead of starting with a small batch of course I used a 5 pound recipe as I have a great big new mold. It looked so pretty with lots of wonderful swirls and I was so excited about maybe doing this more. I used TD in my recipe and the new mold had a lid which I put on top. I put it in the oven which had been warmed to 170-degrees and was then turned off. I let the soap sit in there all night. Yesterday when I took it out and began the cut there were glycerin rivers, lots and lots of them. I did go on google and found a post by a lady who said that using TD in CPOP can cause glycerin rivers and she showed her technique and did not put a lid on the mold. So now the soap is shredded and in the crockpots but I don't want to give up on this technique and would appreciate any input.

Oh no, you realize that glycerin rivers are just cosmetic, right? Some folks try for them on purpose because they like the look.

If you don’t like them, the easiest way to avoid them is to reduce your water. Did you use the same amount of water for your CPOP batch as you would for HP? If so, that’s the most likely cause in combination with the added heat. TD doesn’t cause them, but will make them more prominent/ visible.

I gel almost all my batches on a heating pad (another way to CPOP) and almost never get glycerin rivers. I typically use 40% lye concentration, but even at 33%, it’s rare for me.

If you still get them after reducing your water, then for your recipe in that size of batch, you may not need to CPOP to get a full gel; simply covering and insulating may be enough (assuming the room temp is not too cold).

Last edited:
Oh no, you realize that glycerin rivers are just cosmetic, right? Some folks try for them on purpose because they like the look.

If you don’t like them, the easiest way to avoid them is to reduce your water. Did you use the same amount of water for your CPOP batch as you would for HP? If so, that’s the most likely cause in combination with the added heat. TD doesn’t cause them, but will make them more prominent/ visible.

I gel almost all my batches on a heating pad (another way to CPOP) and almost never get glycerin rivers. I typically use 40% lye concentration, but even at 33%, it’s rare for me.

If you still get them after reducing your water, then for your recipe in that size of batch, you may not need to CPOP to get a full gel; simply covering and insulating may be enough (assuming the room temp is not too cold).
Thanks for your reply. Like I mentioned, this is really my first time trying it. I know that they are cosmetic but I sell my soap and don't like them or think my customers would like them either. I did use the same amount of water so I will reduce the amount. I will try those suggestions in a smaller batch and see what happens. Thanks again.

I completely understand! I did HP for years before moving to CP, and there were so many things to learn. Lots of mistakes were made 🙃and I'm still learning today!

For future CP batches, whether CPOP or not, I recommend setting your lye concentration to 33% (not water as percent of oils). See what you think of that, and whether it eliminates the glycerin rivers. If not, try 35%, or try just insulating without added heat.

If you have a heating pad that you could place under the mold, you might find that easier than putting your soap into the oven. I much prefer that myself, for the following reasons:

1. My oven isn't tied up for hours.
2. I don't have to move a sloshy heavy mold from one spot to another.
3. I don't risk having someone turn the oven on by accident with the soap in it.
4. (Most importantly to me) the scent doesn't transfer to the oven and then into the food. 🤮

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out!

Last edited:
I completely understand! I did HP for years before moving to CP, and there were so many things to learn. Lots of mistakes were made 🙃and I'm still learning today!

For future CP batches, whether CPOP or not, I recommend setting your lye concentration to 33% (not water as percent of oils).
See what you think of that, and whether it eliminates the glycerin rivers. If not, try 35%, or try just insulating without added heat.

If you have a heating pad that you could place under the mold, you might find that easier than putting your soap into the oven. I much prefer that myself, for the following reasons:

1. M oven isn't tied up for hours.
2. I don't have to move a sloshy heavy mold from one spot to another.
3. I don't risk having someone turn it on by accident with the soap in it.
4. (Most importantly to me) the scent doesn't transfer to the oven and then into the food. 🤮

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out!
thank you. You are right, I have been doing HP all my soaping life so this is all new for me. Going to try your suggestions.

I sold for over 10 years and you would be surprised what customers like and do not like. I would have at least taken them to market. I can almost guarantee some customers would have liked the look.

As Alison mentioned try a 33% lye concentration and less insulation when using TD. I actually gave up using TD years ago it just was not worth the trouble to me. I would rather deal with the color discolorations than TD.

Latest posts

Back