Tall & Skinny Mold

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a WH tall and skinny 10" mold with an extra liner and I use them often. They are very nice and I would recommend them. But -

The first mold I ordered from WH was a triple T&S, which I wanted to use as a slab mold, because I'm anal and want my bars to be a consistent size without having a lot of waste. I also ordered dividers for it. It works for this, but the sides are really too tall for this purpose, so I don't use it often. I liked it enough to order a T&S, which I use all the time. After that the silicone liner from my triple mold ripped (again, it wasn't used often). I contacted them and they were quick to respond, saying that they had a problem with their silicone around the time I purchased my mold and sent a new liner. When I next tried to use it, the dividers no longer fit (they were too long by a smidge which caused them to bow). I contacted them again and they basically didn't believe me until I sent a picture out of frustration. They then said that shouldn't happen, asked me to 'exactly' measure the inner dimension of the mold and they would send new dividers. I did this (also sent the old ones back at their request). The new dividers arrived - same problem which leads me to believe that they didn't 'custom' make new ones and just sent stock. Not long after that, my old dividers showed up - they sent a UPS label that had an old address on it. They then told me to keep the old dividers and that they couldn't help with the problem I still have. I happen to have a grinder that I used for stained glass work and was able to grind enough off to make them work.

Of my two T&S liners, one fits perfectly and one is about 1/4" short. I have to put a piece of cardboard in the end to keep the corners squared. So, in my experience there is a slight problem with consistency of product. The silicone is also much thinner than Nurture's and I find that I have to put a dab of Vaseline on the top edges to keep the liner from flopping inward. Soaps are easier to unmold from the WH molds because of the flexibility of the silicone.

All this said, I do like my WH molds and they work well, and many people have had a very good experience with them. A company that also might be worth looking at is Winston and Walter. I don't have one of their molds, but I have heard very good things. One soapy friend bought one and said she liked it better than her mold from Nurture. WW are in Canada though, so I don't know how the prices compare with shipping and any other costs.

I used to have a WH T&S mold, I think it was 12", might be misremembering the length. Very well made (lost it when all my soaping stuff got thrown out when I was out of the country.) This was before WH even made liners, you used to have to line them with paper in those pre-historic days, circa 2015! It was my favorite mold to date, I really miss it.

It is slightly different in dimensions to most other T&SMs, just a titch wider and taller (the Nurture one may be the same) but enough to make a difference. I also loved the hanger tool they make for it.

Last edited:
I have a WH tall and skinny 10" mold with an extra liner and I use them often. They are very nice and I would recommend them. But -

The first mold I ordered from WH was a triple T&S, which I wanted to use as a slab mold, because I'm anal and want my bars to be a consistent size without having a lot of waste. I also ordered dividers for it. It works for this, but the sides are really too tall for this purpose, so I don't use it often. I liked it enough to order a T&S, which I use all the time. After that the silicone liner from my triple mold ripped (again, it wasn't used often). I contacted them and they were quick to respond, saying that they had a problem with their silicone around the time I purchased my mold and sent a new liner. When I next tried to use it, the dividers no longer fit (they were too long by a smidge which caused them to bow). I contacted them again and they basically didn't believe me until I sent a picture out of frustration. They then said that shouldn't happen, asked me to 'exactly' measure the inner dimension of the mold and they would send new dividers. I did this (also sent the old ones back at their request). The new dividers arrived - same problem which leads me to believe that they didn't 'custom' make new ones and just sent stock. Not long after that, my old dividers showed up - they sent a UPS label that had an old address on it. They then told me to keep the old dividers and that they couldn't help with the problem I still have. I happen to have a grinder that I used for stained glass work and was able to grind enough off to make them work.

Of my two T&S liners, one fits perfectly and one is about 1/4" short. I have to put a piece of cardboard in the end to keep the corners squared. So, in my experience there is a slight problem with consistency of product. The silicone is also much thinner than Nurture's and I find that I have to put a dab of Vaseline on the top edges to keep the liner from flopping inward. Soaps are easier to unmold from the WH molds because of the flexibility of the silicone.

All this said, I do like my WH molds and they work well, and many people have had a very good experience with them. A company that also might be worth looking at is Winston and Walter. I don't have one of their molds, but I have heard very good things. One soapy friend bought one and said she liked it better than her mold from Nurture. WW are in Canada though, so I don't know how the prices compare with shipping and any other costs.
Thank you for that detailed explanation! I’m glad you were able to make the dividers work.

I’ll definitely check out Winston and Walter.

I used to have a WH T&S mold, I think it was 12", might be misremembering the length. Very well made (lost it when all my soaping stuff got thrown out when I was out of the country.) This was before WH even made liners, you used to have to line them with paper in those pre-historic days, circa 2015! It was my favorite mold to date, I really miss it.

It is slightly different in dimensions to most other T&SMs, just a titch wider and taller (the Nurture one may be the same) but enough to make a difference. I also loved the hanger tool they make for it.
Thank you!

Where did y'all get your tall & skinny molds? I'm finding myself with a gift card to burn and thought I'd invest in a nice wooden one with a silicone liner...maybe even a lid! Of course Nurture is sold out unless I want to buy a 9 lb mold (o_O). Does anyone have this one or know anything about this manufacturer?
Another option is Custom Craft Tools. They are now making molds with a silicone liner. Other than the long-ish wait to get your item I have been very happy with everything I have ordered from them. I don't know if they offer a silicone lined T&S mold in a size you want or within your gift card budget though.

Latest posts

Back