Please help me!! My Soap is not the same what i saw in youtube!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are dead set on coconut oil being the most of your recipe, then I would use 100% at 1% superfat and it will be a laundry bar.
Or make it 20% superfat with 80% of the weight of the oils added as fine salt and it will be a nice salt bar.

I actually dont recommend making a recipe smaller than 2 pounds, the smaller your batch is, the more room for error. Or should I say less? :?

Last edited:
wow, so many kinds of oils in your recipe
and, so many kinds of extract for additive also.

Here in my place, Olive oil maybe is the most expensive cooking oil. We usually use palm oil because that is the cheapest among all. Coconut oil is more expensive than palm oil but still cheaper than OO.

for my recipe, I always use only 3 oils, OO, CO, and Palm oil. In my recipe I always use palm oil at the most. When I use less OO, then I use less CO too. But when I use more OO I dont add more CO, I just add sugar for more lather.

Althought it only has 3 oils, it has very good batch and suitable to our Malay race skin, high humidity, and very warm weather. I don't have good access to get other oils like castor oil, avocado oil, and bla bla bla oil that we, Indonesian never use those for cooking.

But, don't worry to use OO in your batch although it's expensive. I use OO, I got it for approximately $10 / 1 L. Due to expensive OO here, I sell at high price too. My customers do not mind about high price as it comes with high quality, they know and understand that OO is an expensive oil but very good for their skin.

oiya, please be careful from getting overheated. I think is very warm in your place.

Ok guys.. im back, i went to he supermarkets earlier..And i found out that the price of palm oil for 1 kilo is 80 pesos ($1.80 per kilo) where comparing that Coconut oil only 60 pesos per kilo ($1.40) and Olive Oil, Corn Oil, Canola Oil are all expensive. so in short it excess on my budget target coz i want to make papaya soap with cheaper and affordable price that i can compete w/ our local brand and it seems most local brand here are just using only one oil (coconut oil) then papaya, etc.etc. So now i decided that i want to make final recipe so please help me guys if this is right coz tomorrow i'll try another shot.. and if its work then i can proceed second recipe which is more good quality but little expensive though. so for now i'll stick with cheaper product..

here's my recipe..
85% Coconut Oil (510g)
10% Castor Oil (60g)
5% CDEA (30g) (should i add it here??is this correct) they say CDEA is an oil and creates more Bubble.
total of 100% of 600g or 60% of Oil.

Lye 350g (35%) = 1,050g of water.

additives: Papaya Extract, Sodium Silicate and fragrance.

My question is how much percent do i put in each additives?can you give me precise % or grams? Thank in advance guys...:angel:

Honestly, I think you need to really, really simplify your recipe. Play around with things like fruit puree, additives, etc after you've successfully made at last one batch, so you know what it looks like. Fruit and vegetable purees can be very problematic, because they contain water, so you will need to reduce the amount of water you dissolve your lye in. Your fruit purees can also rot in your soap.

I have no idea what CDEA is.

Do you have access to beef fat (tallow) or lard (maybe labeled Manteca)?

In the quantity you want to use, coconut oil will make a very harsh soap.

If you want to use that high amount of coconut oil, try making 100% coconut oil and doing a 20% superfat and see how you like it.

Ok guys.. im back, i went to he supermarkets earlier..And i found out that the price of palm oil for 1 kilo is 80 pesos ($1.80 per kilo) where comparing that Coconut oil only 60 pesos per kilo ($1.40) and Olive Oil, Corn Oil, Canola Oil are all expensive. so in short it excess on my budget target coz i want to make papaya soap with cheaper and affordable price that i can compete w/ our local brand and it seems most local brand here are just using only one oil (coconut oil) then papaya, etc.etc. So now i decided that i want to make final recipe so please help me guys if this is right coz tomorrow i'll try another shot.. and if its work then i can proceed second recipe which is more good quality but little expensive though. so for now i'll stick with cheaper product..

here's my recipe..
85% Coconut Oil (510g)
10% Castor Oil (60g)
5% CDEA (30g) (should i add it here??is this correct) they say CDEA is an oil and creates more Bubble.

My question is how much percent do i put in each additives?can you give me precise % or grams? Thank in advance guys...:angel:

I have no idea what CDEA is, but if it's supposed to create more bubbles then I really don't think you'll need any. With all the coconut oil you're using you should have bubbles galore.

Also, where are you getting these calculations for your lye and water from? Your numbers are way, way too high for both! I tested out your recipe tweaking the numbers slightly by eliminating the CDEA. For a 500gm batch of soap using 90% Coconut oil and 10% Castor oil with a 20% superfat, you should only need 190g water and 71 g lye.

I'll look at my notes for suggestions on the additives shortly.

so cheap palm oil and coconut oil there, hehe...

CDEA, what is that?

IMO, don't use too many CO for body soap moreover facial soap, High CO soap usually more drying. I think use high percentage of palm oil is good based on my experience, then use low percentage of CO just for lather well. CMIIW.

If you want to make papaya soap, don't add too much. I think add papaya puree between 20-30% of total weight is enough.
I sell papaya soap too :D

Be careful with fragrance, some synthetic oil will cause instant trace

why do you want to add sodium silicate?

here's my recipe..
85% Coconut Oil (510g)
10% Castor Oil (60g)

Dude, for a 600 g recipe like this you only need about 100 g of lye. Your recipe has THREE TIMES THAT. This is a perfect recipe if you want to melt peoples faces off!! Do you want to hurt people?

What is CDEA and who are "they" that recommends it? Why are you adding Sodium Silicate?

Please, stop thinking of making soap as a "get rich quick" scheme, stop looking for other people to tell you how to make the soap that will make you rich, and take some time with some simple recipes and try to LEARN a bit.

I'm not trying to be mean, but your lack of concern for safety is frightening.

I don't have good access to get other oils like castor oil

I use OO, I got it for approximately $10 / 1 L.

i forgot, where are you located? i think castor is quite easy to get, but def not in supermarkets. check out the chemical stores, ask for minyak biji jarak. usually around Rp. 50K/L.

Pomace OO, hmmm... if you know where to look, you can def get it less than $10/L :p you gotta buy in 5L jugs though. i've seen one in a supermarket for Rp. 85K/L. i only use pomace, as pure olive is def far too bloody expensive.

here's my recipe..
85% Coconut Oil (510g)
10% Castor Oil (60g)

i think you are not listening to the good advices others have given you so far... that is to learn to use lye calculator. a very easy one is from brambleberry.com (look for lye calculator on the left hand side options). it is seriously the most straight forward calculator. by using a lye calc, you are saving yourself from creating a dangerous soap like shown in the above recipe (far too much lye). please please do not do that recipe, it is seriously dangerous.

2nd of all, you cannot use that much coconut oil w/o at least a 15% superfat (SF). otherwise, the soap is going to be far too drying. also, i don't see a point using castor if you already using that much coconut.

you are better off adding another oil or 2 to the bunch, like palm and a bit of OO or soybean or canola.

i would do something economical like:
50% palm
30% coconut
5% castor
15% soybean or canola

6% SF

CDEA, i did a quick google search and so far i cannot found its SAP value, therefore it should not be added to the lye calculation. it should be treated as an additive. it's a foaming booster as far as i know. personally, i think you don't need it, with 30% coconut + 5% castor, your bubble level is already 25, which is not bad at all.

also, scratch the sodium silicate if you don't even know what it's for. waste of money me thinks.

papaya extract, please contact the manufacturer for usage guide. is your extract powdered, water, or glycerine based? you have to find out about this first. read the ingredients, if it contains alcohol it can mess up with the soap if done CP. you might wanna do HP instead.

fragrance, again, each fragrance has its own usage guide, but generally, around 3-6% from total oils.

if you have some free time, please read this link below, it will give you a general knowledge on different oils and their characteristics:
http://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body-tutorials/tips-and-tricks/free-beginners-guide-to-soapmaking-common-soapmaking-oils/

This is a perfect recipe if you want to melt peoples faces off!!

Please, stop thinking of making soap as a "get rich quick" scheme, stop looking for other people to tell you how to make the soap that will make you rich, and take some time with some simple recipes and try to LEARN a bit.

^^^
that

Last edited:
^^^
wow, even more dangerous that recipe is. yikes! whoever made it must be spanked!

I liked Seven's recipe recommendation as a practical solution for the oils you have available to you. I also agree that you should seek out pomace olive oil which is 100% olive oil but the lowest grade. It is fine for soap and should be cheaper.

Also, use a lye calculator like the one on brambleberry or soapcalc.net to determine your lye and water amounts. What you are proposing is dangerously caustic soap. If you are using your own papaya puree, you can substitute it for some of the water. The sugars in the papaya may cause your soap to get very hot so be sure to watch for signs of overheating.

hello

Hi! Good Morning everyone.. sorry if im always asking and making look like ignorant to all of you here.. im just in learning process but i know i'll make this things work soon..

Honestly, I think you need to really, really simplify your recipe. Play around with things like fruit puree, additives, etc after you've successfully made at last one batch, so you know what it looks like. Fruit and vegetable purees can be very problematic, because they contain water, so you will need to reduce the amount of water you dissolve your lye in. Your fruit purees can also rot in your soap.

I have no idea what CDEA is.

Do you have access to beef fat (tallow) or lard (maybe labeled Manteca)?

In the quantity you want to use, coconut oil will make a very harsh soap.

If you want to use that high amount of coconut oil, try making 100% coconut oil and doing a 20% superfat and see how you like it.

Actually i dont want to use Beef fat (tallow) the reason is first its difficult to find Beef Tallow. secondly if i use Pig Fat as substitute on it bcoz its easy to find but it wont work on Muslim Market if ever im going to sell it.

so cheap palm oil and coconut oil there, hehe...

CDEA, what is that?

IMO, don't use too many CO for body soap moreover facial soap, High CO soap usually more drying. I think use high percentage of palm oil is good based on my experience, then use low percentage of CO just for lather well. CMIIW.

If you want to make papaya soap, don't add too much. I think add papaya puree between 20-30% of total weight is enough.
I sell papaya soap too :D

Be careful with fragrance, some synthetic oil will cause instant trace

why do you want to add sodium silicate?

CDEA is for creating more bubble that's what i understood on videos i saw from Filipino training seminar. And about palm oil i dont know if i can buy cheaper and wholesale price of 5 Gallon from my supplier compare on Coconut Oil i can buy at cheaper price for 5 Gallon. So im going to check on my supplier if they have supply of Palm Oil then i consider to use Palm Oil and Coconut Oil as well.

Dude, for a 600 g recipe like this you only need about 100 g of lye. Your recipe has THREE TIMES THAT. This is a perfect recipe if you want to melt peoples faces off!! Do you want to hurt people?

What is CDEA and who are "they" that recommends it? Why are you adding Sodium Silicate?

i check all local brand soap here where there prices are cheaper for average people but yet its still salable due to people still looking cheaper but as long as its indicate for skin whitening and using papaya as main ingredients. Local brand soap here are using sodium silicate for hardening the soap and CDEA for making soap more bubble even in training seminar they use that two chemical. i dont know why most people here forum don't recommend that two chemical maybe because its base on preferences. but im about thinking to disregard CDEA and Sodium Silicate then proceed to pure herbal soap. speaking of getting rich. i dont want to pretend myself that this is not about getting rich but honestly yes i want to improve our lives here.. due to rampant corruption and my salary is not enough to sustain our daily needs because of prices of basic needs always rise every month or so. Also The reason why i want to venture this kind of business because many Filipino want to become white there skin and look like socialite person. They buy cosmetic products that contains whitening even is not proven to make there skin white. so its a lucrative business here in Philippines making whitening soap.

i forgot, where are you located? i think castor is quite easy to get, but def not in supermarkets. check out the chemical stores, ask for minyak biji jarak. usually around Rp. 50K/L.

Pomace OO, hmmm... if you know where to look, you can def get it less than $10/L :p you gotta buy in 5L jugs though. i've seen one in a supermarket for Rp. 85K/L. i only use pomace, as pure olive is def far too bloody expensive.

i think you are not listening to the good advices others have given you so far... that is to learn to use lye calculator. a very easy one is from brambleberry.com (look for lye calculator on the left hand side options). it is seriously the most straight forward calculator. by using a lye calc, you are saving yourself from creating a dangerous soap like shown in the above recipe (far too much lye). please please do not do that recipe, it is seriously dangerous.

2nd of all, you cannot use that much coconut oil w/o at least a 15% superfat (SF). otherwise, the soap is going to be far too drying. also, i don't see a point using castor if you already using that much coconut.

you are better off adding another oil or 2 to the bunch, like palm and a bit of OO or soybean or canola.

i would do something economical like:
50% palm
30% coconut
5% castor
15% soybean or canola

6% SF

CDEA, i did a quick google search and so far i cannot found its SAP value, therefore it should not be added to the lye calculation. it should be treated as an additive. it's a foaming booster as far as i know. personally, i think you don't need it, with 30% coconut + 5% castor, your bubble level is already 25, which is not bad at all.

also, scratch the sodium silicate if you don't even know what it's for. waste of money me thinks.

papaya extract, please contact the manufacturer for usage guide. is your extract powdered, water, or glycerine based? you have to find out about this first. read the ingredients, if it contains alcohol it can mess up with the soap if done CP. you might wanna do HP instead.

fragrance, again, each fragrance has its own usage guide, but generally, around 3-6% from total oils.

if you have some free time, please read this link below, it will give you a general knowledge on different oils and their characteristics:
http://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body-tutorials/tips-and-tricks/free-beginners-guide-to-soapmaking-common-soapmaking-oils/

^^^
that

Im from Philippines. Yes soybean, Canola, Olive Oil are expensive here.. but im thinking to add Palm Oil because it has little differential price between Palm and Coco Oil. I know how to use Lye Calculator now but im got confused because of CDEA and Sodium Silicate. Of course im listening to them but most of there recommendation are way good and making perfect soap and if im going to follow them then i cannot get the budget range which i want to make soap that affordable to the market ($1-1.50USD each bar of soap).. coz mainly the front of my soap is PAPAYA Herbal Whitening Soap. never mind the quality this time even though i would use let say 90% Coco Oil then 10% Castor Oil or 60% Coco Oil, 30% Palm Oil and 10% Castor Oil. Sorry my bad mistake.. its not Papaya Extract, its Puree. so im not quite sure how much Papaya Pure should i add because they say Papaya Puree contains water.. so if someone teach me.. please im begging you guys. :(

DO NOT use CDEA in handmade soap. It is not needed. It is unsafe. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocamide_DEA

DO NOT use sodium silicate in handmade soap. It is not needed. Spend your money on necessary things, not this junk.

Mam most Local brand soap here using that two chemical even in Training Seminar... so i dont know how much percentage should i add or i just disregard now and go in pure herbal papaya soap. So in short mam this two chemical are not advisable for making bath soap??

I liked Seven's recipe recommendation as a practical solution for the oils you have available to you. I also agree that you should seek out pomace olive oil which is 100% olive oil but the lowest grade. It is fine for soap and should be cheaper.

Also, use a lye calculator like the one on brambleberry or soapcalc.net to determine your lye and water amounts. What you are proposing is dangerously caustic soap. If you are using your own papaya puree, you can substitute it for some of the water. The sugars in the papaya may cause your soap to get very hot so be sure to watch for signs of overheating.

Im using soapcalc mam, the reason i got confused because of CDEA and Sodium Silicate.. so for now im going to make this things right if i disregard this two chemical and i'll post later the final final final recipe but please don't mind the quality first coz if i make this things perfect then i'll make second recipe which is good quality and little expensive. so if i add 50g of Papaya Pure mam how much water should i reduce so that i can avoid the overheating process?

To everyone.. Thanks for your help even though some of you here told me to shift another business or let's say just give up you cant do it.. your wrong.. im not kind of person that never give up in any challenges of life. this situation? i've been through many times. i work on different job.. so this time its different and my first time bcoz im just good in electronics or computer. but still i want to learn more.. me and my wife decided to have business like this because my wife suffer lot of unexplained sickness and pain that i cant afford to give here proper treatment on private hospital.. she always has massive headache everyday and falling hair even doctors can't explain. so im disparate to venture this kind business because my salary is not enough and im depending on my mother support for my business who is work as overseas worker now. As i said i choose this kind of business because its lucrative here and i have a beautiful wife that she want to become a model of our soon papaya herbal soap business.. so please help me guys.. im begging you. im not that kind of idiot or let say dumb to teach. just give me advice step by step and im going to study it after my 10hrs straight work from factory.. for everyone! Thanks for sharing and God Bless!:(:(:(

Last edited:
To add puree, just use half as much water as you normally would use when you mix your lye solution - so if your recipe calls for 10 ounces of water, use 5 ounces instead - and bring your soap to trace. Then, at trace, add that same amount of water back, but as puree - so, 5 ounces of puree, using the 10 ounce example.

I actually wouldn't recommend making soap with puree yet, and I especially wouldn't recommend experimenting with adding surfactants/silicones/antibacterials etc. until you've made at least a few successful batches of plain soap.

With extremely few exceptions, most of what gets counted in the lye calculators for determining the amount of lye are the animal/plant oils like tallow/lard/coconut/palm/castor. The CDEA and sodium silicate are additives and are NOT counted towards the lye amount.

If you want a bar with a high amount of coconut oil, that will be very bubbly on its own. You won't need the CDEA for bubbles. Also, coconut oil is VERY cleansing. If you're going to use it in large amounts, you need to up the superfat levels. For instance, soaps with 80-100% coconut oil will generally require a 20% superfat.

Make sure you are very familiar with your chosen lye calculator (SoapCalc and the Brambleberry calculator are good ones). Be sure to use what THAT gives you for your lye and water amounts, and that you are measuring EVERYTHING in weight, using a good digital scale. If you don't, you could make a soap that's dangerous and liable to hurt those you sell it to.

As far as hardness goes... Both coconut and palm oils make for hard bars of soap. You don't need sodium silicate to harden it. In the unlikely case that you want it harder, dissolve a little bit of table salt (sodium chloride) in the lye water. Chances are you won't need to.

For the papaya puree, you're subtracting that from the water amount. You can go from a tablespoon of puree up to half of the water called for BY WEIGHT. However much you use, make sure you subtract that much from the water you mix the lye into, just as AustinStraight gave you an example for. Papaya also has sugar in it. Those sugars will 1) increase the bubbles in the soap, and 2) increase the temperature of it as it saponifies. You'll have to be careful and watch it to make sure it doesn't overheat. Soap cool, don't insulate, and be aware that you might need to refrigerate or freeze the soap if it looks like it's heating up too much.

Please calm down. Soapmaking is something that takes time and patience to make sure it goes right. Stress makes you more likely to make mistakes. There's been a lot of good advice in this thread! Selling bad soap because you rushed yourself too much will likely leave you in a worse position than you are now, and we want you to be making good soap and loving it!

People think you are not listening because once again you have posted a recipe with a hugely unsafe lye amount. You are wasting money on too much lye, on unsafe chemical additives and unnecessary extra additives, and then complaining about 20 cents per kilo difference between coconut and palm. Quit wasting money on unsafe stuff and buy the frikken palm. Not hard to understand.

Use the right amount of lye instead of 3 TIMES TOO MUCH and you'll save money there too.

Don't dump expensive oils and puree in the trash by making big batches before you know what you're doing. Do 2lb batches until you have it figured out.

You said you have castor, right?

So get the palm, which you can afford now that you're not wasting money on unsafe CDEA and unnecessary sodium silicate and excess lye.

Do 65% palm,
25% coconut
10% castor

Or just plain 65% palm and 35% coconut. USE A LYE CALCULATOR!

Try the puree at 1 tablespoon per pound once you're sure you know how to make a batch of soap that actually works.

You said your wife has unexplained illness. The skin is a sensitive organ, and readily absorbs chemicals. If she's already ill, you don't want to make it worse with more chemicals. And you don't want to give her chemical burns or make her hair fall out worse.

You don't want people to sue you because your soap burned their skin.

It!s not at all about perfect soap, it's about SAFE soap. I don't care if you make ugly, stinky, drying soap, as long as it isn't going to hurt anyone.

If you are serious, I would forget everything that this seminar has taught you. It sounds dangerous and is stopping good advice coming in.

As Susie and many many others have said - make a batch or two with just water, no additives. You won't sell these first few batches anyway as you need to see how they feel and so on. Then when you know how it will look and how the process works in general, then you can start adding in things. After a while, you'll have your soap.

The recipe above is a good mix - I would have also suggested that, if palm and CO are almost the same price, there is no sense going with a high CO amount. None at all.

And yes yes yes - learn to use a lye calculator. Soap Calc looks complicated, but it can be very simple to use. Each section has a number and instructions to walk you through it. If you are not sure of anything, ask in here and people will help you out. For example, what should I put in sections 3 and 4? When it comes to it, we can help.

And to answer another question that you had, putting % is great, but if you want a full recipe including lye checked, we would need to know either the batch size or actual amounts of oils.

Slow down, take your time - if you rush, you will waste money at best and at worst fail completely and hurt people.

Thanks Guys.. im sorry if i can reply you right away because im so busy preparing 30th birthday of my wife this coming thursday May 22. My suppose gift is to give here first success batch of soap but it was failed so i think i'll treat her for dinner.. anyway now my mind is fix and i guess the 3rd time im going to make soap would be at least 90% work.. it really helps all your comments and advices her.. esp to mam graceyworks. maybe after my wife birthday im going to try again 3rd time to wish me luck guys.. Thanks and God Bless everyone!

PLEASE learn to use SoapCalc! For your safety, for your wife's safety!

You only have to click the lye you want to use(NaOH), then the oils you want to add. Type in the percentage you want for each oil, tell it how many grams or ounces you want it to be, then click calculate at the bottom. Click on "view or print recipe", and you will get a perfect amount of lye to use on that page. You can then either print out that page, or save it to a file in your computer. But ALWAYS save the recipe so you will know what you did.

Latest posts

Back