Please help me!! My Soap is not the same what i saw in youtube!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On your 3rd attempt, please please ditch the cdea and silicate. Just coz others are using them doesn't mean you also have to. Read around to find out why those 2 ingredients are not good for handmade soap (DeeAnna's links are starters) and be proud of yourself for creating a soap that is safe to use.

Test your product before offering it for sale to the public. If your 3rd attempt is successful doesn't mean the soap is ready to be sold.

I'm going to be the ..th person to say this: slow down, take your time. Why? For reasons already stated previously by others.

Good luck!

Ronkzie26, I don't think anyone here wants you to quit, just to slow down. We are all soapmakers here, and love to see others become interested in the process and go on to make wonderful soap. But when you have made only one batch, and it was not even close to being successful, and you say, "i am at now i guess 70% knowledge about making soap.. ", that is very scary. It would be scary if you were just making it for yourself, but because you're planning to sell, and because you're in a big hurry to sell......that makes it a whole different kind of scary. I understand that you're trying to make your life better by supplementing your income, but if you sell soap before you're ready, you could get into very deep trouble if your soap irritates (or worse)someone's skin, and they sue you, and you lose everything.

It was for this reason that I suggested that you make sugar scrubs and lip balms first, while you study soapmaking. I think papaya sugar scrubs and lip balms sound wonderful! Soapmaking is not difficult, but there is a so much information you should be familiar with and knowledgeable about before you even think of selling. If I were you, I would make the other products, and while I was selling those, I would study, study, study all that I could about soapmaking. I would get my hands on some reputable soapmaking books. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E8GWRKS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 and http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001OLRM5A/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 and http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XJP9G4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 are just a few. I would also study instructional soap videos for more information. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAADF6209996265D2 and http://www.youtube.com/user/soaping101 are some good ones. Not all videos on youtube about soapmaking teach good soapmaking techniques....be careful!

You have access to so much accumulated wisdom and knowledge in this forum. You would do yourself a huge favor to take the advice of people who have stood in your shoes. They can teach you how to avoid mistakes so that you don't have to make them yourself. Please take advantage of what they have to offer. I sincerely wish you nothing but good luck and success.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm curious, why do you keep adding 35% lye? Where are you getting that number? Here is a complete recipe for 2 lbs of soap using grayceworks recipe. Please, stop using those chemical additives, they can cause cancer. Pure natural soap is much better.

I agree, you need to forget everything you learned from that seminar. Just because thats how most people do it, doesn't mean its right. Many years ago, most soapers here in the USA, added ammonia and borax to their soaps. Made great laundry soap, not so good for the skin. Science has taught us then simple and natural is better.

Palm Oil 20.8 ounces
Coconut Oil 8 ounces
Castor Oil 3.2 ounces

Water 12 ounces ( if using papaya, use 6 ounces of water and 6 ounces of papaya puree. Add the puree at trace)
Lye 4.58 ounces

In the interests of safety, I will confirm that there are no typing errors in Obsi's recipe there - not wanting to seem petty or anything, it's just that typing errors are one reason why people will rarely post lye amounts as suggestions. I just want to make it clear.

Make that recipe (with no other ingredients!) and you'll have a nice soap.

I have read some of the training manuals for making soap in poorer countries like the Philippines. Many of the people who write these manuals are experienced in making soap in a big factory. They do not always know the best way to make soap by hand. One clue is they use chemicals that are really not needed in good handmade soap.

Spend your money on good oils and fats. Do not waste your money on unnecessary additives like preservatives, CDEA, and sodium silicate. Learn how to make good, safe soap without that stuff.

Hello there.....
its really sad to c d disaster!(ya i knw how it feels, happend with me too!).. well firstly EVEN I AM A NEWBIE, but still i would want to advice u;-) because recently i made papaya soap and it really turned out very well...

lets not make it too long n boring..

firstly 60% of coconut will be too drying...
if u wana go down on budget try using lard or tallow(olive oil being a lil on expensive side, in my country atleast..) along with coconut oil.
never go 30% n above with coconut oil! it can be too drying!

total oils should make 100% excluding additives

lets say

65% tallow/ lard
30% coconut oil
5% castor oil
(i made tallow 65% cuz you wouldent wana add too much of castor oil as it can make soap slimey and sticky. castor oil should be used only till 7% atleast i do so)

secondly, you really dont need to add all such additives, normal oil and lye+ papaya and water n TADAA! u hav ua soap...

also, split the amount of liquid you gonna be using for your batch into 2 parts- half water to mix the lye in and half papaya pure(preferably thin).

mix up your lye solution and when it cools to around 25-30 degree C add your papaya paste to it...

later on continuing with d regular process..

oh! ya and also, pls try and avoid using ml as your measurement. either use oz or gram.. but no ml pls unless u know the volume of each oil..
i have done this same mistake of using ml.. and ended up rebatching my full batch because it became lye heavy:crazy:

and i am still have some more of it to go!

and you can try bramble berry soap cal.. its pretty simple to use..
hope this was helpfull.. GOOD LUCK! :)

btw, if palm is cheap you can anyday go with it... cz u know some people out there like their soaps to be vegan....

Last edited:
Also, don't forget to give your soap time to cure before selling

Ronzkie , I really understand your situation. I live in a country that has the same problem as The Philippines.

the 'key' of success is being extra patient. You have to try and try again until you get a successful batch of soap. When you have a good batch, try some variations like adding some EO, puree, honey, sugar, salt, herbs, etc.

I think it's a great idea if you make an 100% natural soap without any chemical added (except NaOH of course). Like DeeAnna said that most of soap making manuals in The Philippines are using chemical added. So, if you make an 100% natural one, you will have good different product among others.

Thanks Guys.. im sorry if i can reply you right away because im so busy preparing 30th birthday of my wife this coming thursday May 22. My suppose gift is to give here first success batch of soap but it was failed so i think i'll treat her for dinner.. anyway now my mind is fix and i guess the 3rd time im going to make soap would be at least 90% work.. it really helps all your comments and advices her.. esp to mam graceyworks. maybe after my wife birthday im going to try again 3rd time to wish me luck guys.. Thanks and God Bless everyone!
You want to give her a great birthday present? STOP ignoring the good advice you've been given here and LISTEN. Sorry, but this thread is very frustrating, to see you go back to the awful advice you've received elsewhere. You want to make soap? Then make it with the advice you've been given here.

The reason why i want to venture this kind of business because many Filipino want to become white there skin and look like socialite person. They buy cosmetic products that contains whitening even is not proven to make there skin white. so its a lucrative business here in Philippines making whitening soap.

Of course im listening to them but most of there recommendation are way good and making perfect soap and if im going to follow them then i cannot get the budget range which i want to make soap that affordable to the market ($1-1.50USD each bar of soap).. coz mainly the front of my soap is PAPAYA Herbal Whitening Soap. never mind the quality this time even though i would use let say 90% Coco Oil then 10% Castor Oil or 60% Coco Oil, 30% Palm Oil and 10% Castor Oil.

Soap is not whitening. Soap cannot lighten the skin. The soap that you are making is going to burn someone's skin off and you say that you don't care. Please listen to the advice that you have been given. Slow down and learn how to make safe soap before you try selling it. You're going to seriously hurt someone with the recipes you've posted here.

I'd definitely recommend starting with simple, relatively inexpensive projects like lip balm, lotion bars, etc. don't be discouraged though! You just need to do more research before making soap.

sorry I do not agree; I made my first soap (I am not selling ) 9 months ago and have quiet a number behind me. I started to read this forum and some others like Teach soap. My first soap is too drying for my skin (20%CO) but my husband loves it. I use around 15% CO and it is just right for me.
People are right about soap/calc, it is dangerous to use lye without the exact percentage and knowledge how to use it.
I watched a hundred of videos and readed a thousand of pages then started to make the soaps:))
This forum is an ocean of knowledge and helpful people.
You do not have to be good at math to use soapcalc, it does job for you.
Maybe you should read a bit about soap making. Good luck:mrgreen:

Soap is not whitening. Soap cannot lighten the skin. The soap that you are making is going to burn someone's skin off and you say that you don't care. Please listen to the advice that you have been given. Slow down and learn how to make safe soap before you try selling it. You're going to seriously hurt someone with the recipes you've posted here.

hmmm. I disagree that soap really can not lighten the skin. In south east Asia, you can find so many whitening soap. Some of them are not natural, but it's not difficult to find some natural whitening soaps. It's not the soap (oils and NaOH) that make our skin brighter, but the additives works.

to brighten skin, we use papaya or bengkuang puree. Milk, coconut milk, even honey also can make our skin look brighter.
Malay people have brown skin. With good nourishing additives, our skin will be look brighter, but when we are exposed to sunlight too long, our skin will be darker.

*I like my skin, it's very easy to darken but also not difficult to get brighter skin. haha...*

I think every one makes soap with different purpose. It's very common here that we use soap to brighten our skin. Of course, it's not the soap base does, but the additives.

Last edited:
hmmm. I disagree that soap really can not lighten the skin. In south east Asia, you can find so many whitening soap. Some of them are not natural, but it's not difficult to find some natural whitening soaps. It's not the soap (oils and NaOH) that make our skin brighter, but the additives works.

to brighten skin, we use papaya or bengkuang puree. Milk, coconut milk, even honey also can make our skin look brighter.
Malay people have brown skin. With good nourishing additives, our skin will be look brighter, but when we are exposed to sunlight too long, our skin will be darker.

*I like my skin, it's very easy to darken but also not difficult to get brighter skin. haha...*

I think every one makes soap with different purpose. It's very common here that we use soap to brighten our skin. Of course, it's not the soap base does, but the additives.

Those of us with light skin lay in the sun, or use sunless tanners to make our skin darker. Brown skin is beautiful, why would you want to change it?

I don't think "bright" is the same thing as "white". Dark skin can be "bright" - healthy, even toned, have a healthy glow.

I agree with HMlove. It doesn't sound like Ron wants to make a quality soap - or even a safe soap. it just sounds like he/she wants to make something cheap, slap the label "whitening" on it and sell it.

Those of us with light skin lay in the sun, or use sunless tanners to make our skin darker. Brown skin is beautiful, why would you want to change it?

Many people here like to change their skin tone. Sometimes we want brighter skin, but sometimes we want darker skin. Some people do that just for changing their appearance when they feel 'bored' and want a new look.

It's a little bit silly when you know that white people want to have brown skin, but we want 'white' skin. haha...

your white skin is beautiful, why do you want to darken it?
*same question*

Last edited:
Many people here like to change their skin tone. Sometimes we want brighter skin, but sometimes we want darker skin. Some people do that just for changing their appearance when they feel 'bored' and want a new look.

It's a little bit silly when you know that white people want to have brown skin, but we want 'white' skin. haha...

*same question*

We all want what we haven't got. People with curly hair, straighten it, those with straight hair get perms. Sadly, I guess it's just human nature. It's a shame we can't just learn to be happy with what we have. That being said, I think that most of us who are pale, think we look healthier with a little color. (Even though now we know it causes skin damage.) I think brown skin covers a lot of imperfections that show up easily on pale skin. Pale skin is more fragile, burns more easily, wrinkles more, gets "age spots".....there's a lot to be said for brown skin!!!

*same question*

My feeling on this is because it's one thing for natural tanning to happen, or to stain your skin. That's not harmful. Well, extreme tanning is harmful. I'm no experty, but it seems to me like bleaching skin would be harmful.

Plus, I don't see how a soap - not a leave-on product - would be able to bleach OR darken skin. I have no idea what sort of regulations apply to this poster's potential product, but I don't support lying about a product.

sorry I do not agree; I made my first soap (I am not selling ) 9 months ago and have quiet a number behind me. I started to read this forum and some others like Teach soap. My first soap is too drying for my skin (20%CO) but my husband loves it. I use around 15% CO and it is just right for me.
People are right about soap/calc, it is dangerous to use lye without the exact percentage and knowledge how to use it.
I watched a hundred of videos and readed a thousand of pages then started to make the soaps:))
This forum is an ocean of knowledge and helpful people.
You do not have to be good at math to use soapcalc, it does job for you.
Maybe you should read a bit about soap making. Good luck:mrgreen:

I just mean if you want to make cosmetics but need more time to learn & gain confidence before making soap, you ought to start by making things like lotion bars that aren't likely to burn your skin off...

Latest posts

Back