Please help me!! My Soap is not the same what i saw in youtube!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its looking better, and Im glad you figured out Soap Calc, but I really do think you want to get more practice and educate yourself on what will work and why. Theres a very good thread in the business forum Are you ready to sell your soap? that will give you an idea of what is needed to get ready to sell. In my opinion I dont think you should even think about this as a business until you have mastered at least the basics, and have perfected a couple of recipes that perform well for you.

Ive made about 20 batches of soap so far, but I want to wait about a year before I begin to sell because I want to learn so much and I also want to see how my soaps perform over time.

As far as your recipe goes - that coconut oil is VERY high for a bar that isn't a salt bar, and would be very harsh. Some people don't like over 20% coconut oil, I don't mind it up to 30% as long as the superfat is raised. And Im not sure why you have Lauric Acid on your list of oils? Im not even sure what that is?

A friend of mine lives in China, where olive oil is very expensive. He has had some very good results using lard in his soaps.

Last edited:
5% -- that's the advice I got in one of my earlier threads and it's never steered me wrong.

Also I'm not a sir

Its looking better, and Im glad you figured out Soap Calc, but I really do think you want to get more practice and educate yourself on what will work and why. Theres a very good thread in the business forum Are you ready to sell your soap? that will give you an idea of what is needed.

Ive made about 20 batches of soap and I love them all, but I want to wait about a year before I begin to sell because I want to learn so much and I also want to see how my soaps perform over time.

Yes i already know how to use Soapcalc now.. but right now i just want to make simple and cheaper soap but effective.. i have new recipe now but im not sure if i can make this right and make a cheaper price into market. so here's my 2nd recipe.. i hope you can help me please... Thanks.

11jx0di.png

5% -- that's the advice I got in one of my earlier threads and it's never steered me wrong.

Also I'm not a sir

oh.. im sorry mam.. anyway i decrease mine to 2% Castor Oil.. is that good?please check my 2nd recipe.. tnx

If you're going to attempt to make your second recipe you should raise your superfat to 15%-20% so that it won't be drying. Also, if you have access to lard or tallow they would make great additions and help balance your recipe. I personally would bump the castor oil back up to 5%. Also, if you have access to butter like mango, cocoa, or shea, they would also make good replacements for some of the coconut.

Hi! Guys.. sorry if i often reply my thread.. so this is my final recipe.. i want your suggestion and opinion guys..
8wawaw.png
[/IMG]

Last edited:
From what I have been able to research, Palm oil should be easy to find there, yahoo says there's 34 brands of palm oil in the philippines that are cheaper than coconut oil... IMI Saji brand is one... Also, Corn and sunflower seem to be available?

Do you have lard available? Or tallow? Those both make excellent soaps.

Also, Lauric is the big thing in coconut oil that makes it super-cleansing...

EDIT: I posted after you just posted. :) I see you already incorporated some of those. (that's what happens when I try to type answers while I'm at work lol)

EDITED AGAIN: Extracts typically have alcohol in them, which can really really speed up how fast your soap thickens up. They can even make the soap seize, so you might want to be careful with that. Are they alcohol extracts or are they essential oils?

Last edited:
I wish I was at 70% of knowing everything about soap making. I want to give you a hand man, but....1) I dont really know how to phrase things in ways people understand often, and 2) I am still learning myself, I have 0 confidance in telling someone information for soap they are going to try to sell so soon after starting :/

I wish I was at 70% of knowing everything about soap making. I want to give you a hand man, but....1) I dont really know how to phrase things in ways people understand often, and 2) I am still learning myself, I have 0 confidance in telling someone information for soap they are going to try to sell so soon after starting :/

When still new, it's easier to help others as you can relate to it more. The people who have been doing it for so long might well struggle to remember how it is looking at a batter and thinking "Is this right?".

When still new, it's easier to help others as you can relate to it more. The people who have been doing it for so long might well struggle to remember how it is looking at a batter and thinking "Is this right?".

I have been guilty of this, not with soap, but when I do computer repair. For me it's often, "Here, let me just.... click, click, DONE!" and the poor user is sitting there going "huh?".

True, but on the other hand, my inexperianced advice could get someone hurt.

As for his previous picture of batter, I did comment, that if he used 30% of that '100%' he spoke of as Lye, then that was the culprit fo-sho. :) I also mentioned that She (he?) should not be attempting to sell soap so soon, that is about the extent of my experiance, and its what I relate to. Safe first in all things.

I guess I am also hesitant to help someone that seems dead set on selling soap after a youtube video, and no real experiance.

In the same way I would not want to help a mechanic with no education in auto's to start a biz. Sure he MAY be a natural savvant who been around cars his whole life, but the odds are not strong.

I will always try to help when I can, but right now, I don't know how to help with his recipe (I am still learning that myself) and I don't approve (Opinion) of trying to sell somthing so soon after starting, and if my advice/help is going into somthing that will be sold, I dont want to risk being wrong and hurting someone if that makes sense?

From what I have been able to research, Palm oil should be easy to find there, yahoo says there's 34 brands of palm oil in the philippines that are cheaper than coconut oil... IMI Saji brand is one... Also, Corn and sunflower seem to be available?

Do you have lard available? Or tallow? Those both make excellent soaps.

Also, Lauric is the big thing in coconut oil that makes it super-cleansing...

EDIT: I posted after you just posted. :) I see you already incorporated some of those. (that's what happens when I try to type answers while I'm at work lol)

EDITED AGAIN: Extracts typically have alcohol in them, which can really really speed up how fast your soap thickens up. They can even make the soap seize, so you might want to be careful with that. Are they alcohol extracts or are they essential oils?

i dont think palm oil is cheaper than coconut oil. because most average people here only use coconut oil for cooking, etc. but i will check that later in market mam. anyway about Papaya.. how do i know if papaya has contains alcohol?i mean pardon me.. im not familiar on that. i just bought fresh papaya from market then slice and blend on a blender then that's it.. or what should i do?if im going to buy papaya oil then that's too expensive and can't buy from streets because it can only buy in supermarket or some expensive stores. i just want to make simple papaya soap. like this recipe coconut oil, castor oil, and olive oil or i can add palm oil depends on the price then PAPAYA extract. that's it..

P.S i can find tallow here but i can't remember the exact price. if ever i can find how much percent should i allocate for tallow?

Last edited:
Ahhh, that's papaya PUREE, not extract. :) Extract is like the flavorings extracted with alcohol for cooking and baking, for most people. When you blend a fresh fruit up, that's a puree. :) Yes, that will be fine! Make sure it's super well blended and strained, as any lumps can turn brown and potentially spoil the soap. Ok, yes, that's why I asked, in case we weren't talking about the same thing.

If you can find tallow cheap, it's a good replacement for palm. I love it in soap. It gives it a nice feel, at least for me. Same with lard.

EDIT: you should probably start with just ONE puree at a time. Fruit has sugar, and sugar makes the soap heat up as it's saponifying, and can cause it to overheat if there's too much, and until you have experience knowing what overheating looks like. :)

Last edited:
If you can find either palm or tallow at a cost you can afford, then I would try as a starting point:

20% Coconut
10% Castor
35% Soybean or Vegetable oil or Shortening (which usually has soybean and palm)
35% Palm or Tallow

Because the recipe you posted last, still has a cleansing number of 42, and while I like the number 42 for other things, I don't like it for a cleansing number unless I'm doing laundry! :) For skin, try to keep the cleansing number down below 15 if possible, the lower it is, the less it will strip the natural oils from your skin.

Some might say avoid soybean oil, as it can become rancid sooner than other oils, but just don't use it for the WHOLE soap, keep the percentage fairly low, and there shouldn't be a problem.

The recipe there is a starting point to fiddle with the oils and watch the numbers on soapcalc. Also, DeeAnna has a great thread here somewhere that explains the numbers and how they affect the soap's qualities, and it's a great thing to read.

Untitled.jpg

OK, given that olive oil is out, I would try the following:

30% coconut oil
30% beef tallow OR lard OR palm oil
8% castor
32% other liquid oil - whatever is cost effective for you. If you can get rice bran, that would be ideal. If not, high oleic safflower, sunflower, canola, soy, whatever. The main issue here is that I'm assuming it's relatively hot and humid where you live and the weather will make your soaps more prone to spoilage. Soy and canola have relatively short shelf lives.

Because of the amount of coconut oil, I'd use a superfat of 8-10% so it isn't too drying.

I must say everyone in this forum is so helpful..:thumbup:Now when you have got the recipe,I think u should make a smaller batch..till the time you dont have a successful batch,make an experimental batch of about 150 grams,so that you dont waste oils and get the basic know how..I did the same mistake of making a big batch for the first time..all the best! Hope to See the pics of your first batch soon.

Latest posts

Back