Please advise

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lsurrett2

Reaction score
I'm planning to make a HP soap that is primarily coconut oil, with some olive oil and coconut milk. I read an interesting blog about increasing superfat with coconut oil to result in less of a drying effect, but I'm curious to know--will using coconut milk have the same result as well?

I've attached the recipe I had in mind. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Capture.PNG

If you want a high coconut soap I would go at least 80% CO 20% Olive. If you have any castor I would do 5% and drop the Olive by 5. Coconut milk will add a bit to the super fat. Otherwise I say go for it.

. It will also need to be cut much more quickly than other soap formulas.

The fat in coconut milk varies a LOT from brand to brand. Of the two brands I looked at, one would increase the superfat by 2% and the other by 8%. You have to look at your particular product to know.

Craig and Susie - I get what you are saying.

How exactly do I calculate the fat content of coconut milk? The total fat is listed at 14g and the container is 13.5 fl oz.

6 oz is a lot, I was so wrapped up in making sure the majority of my liquid was milk instead of water and then trying to avoid scalding the milk. Perhaps I'll use an ounce or so frozen with the water in the lye mixture. Just trying to work it out for the best possible outcome.

Is it sad that I'm dreaming about making soap?

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showpost.php?p=430979&postcount=22

Craig and Susie - I get what you are saying.

How exactly do I calculate the fat content of coconut milk? The total fat is listed at 14g and the container is 13.5 fl oz.

6 oz is a lot, I was so wrapped up in making sure the majority of my liquid was milk instead of water and then trying to avoid scalding the milk. Perhaps I'll use an ounce or so frozen with the water in the lye mixture. Just trying to work it out for the best possible outcome.

:bunny:

I agree with the poster above that that seems like a lot of liquid to add at trace. It can make your soap very soft and it can take long time to set up. I also get nervous adding milk to my lye and I usually add high fat milks at trace.

Have you thought about water discounting? Basically, you mix the lye with a smaller portion of water, creating a more concentrated lye solution. Then, you can add a more liquids at trace without worrying about having a super soft bar.

I made a similar recipe (high CO, high SF) recently and added I think 6oz of heavy cream at trace. I water discounted to 1.8:1. Since I added less water to the lye initially, I felt comfortable adding 6oz of liquid to trace (5lb recipe). My recipe had a 20% superfat ( not including cream(!!!) and my bar was very soft. It needed a week in the mold before I felt comfortable taking it out. I made this 2 months ago and it's been curing beautifully since then.

I should have calculated the fat content like Deanna and the Efficacious Gentleman mentioned. The bar is very creamy and kind of develops a bubbly lather that works down to a cold cream type texture.

Excited to see how it all turns out!

Last edited:

I don't know if you can scald Coconut 'milk'. It's not really milk. But it may contain some sugars (read the label as they vary) that can discolor, so if you want to avoid overheating of the sugars, you can put the lye container into an ice bath to keep the heat down. Same as with making lye solution with animal milks. This way you can avoid holding out the liquid to add later and just add it up front.

Like this:
100_2977.JPG

I don't know if you can scald Coconut 'milk'. It's not really milk. But it may contain some sugars (read the label as they vary) that can discolor, so if you want to avoid overheating of the sugars, you can put the lye container into an ice bath to keep the heat down. Same as with making lye solution with animal milks. This way you can avoid holding out the liquid to add later and just add it up front.

Totally agree Earlene, thanks for the info. I work very rarely with milks, but I remember reading about overheating the milk and it either changing color or developing a particularly putrid scent. So far I have only water discounted and then added a certain portion of milk back at trace. Thanks for sharing the photo!

Warmly,
Allie

DeeAnn - wow, that article is super educational. Since I'm not able to weigh the CM right now, I hypothesize that it's on the high-fat side and can see how that can seriously increase the superfat and make the soap too soft and thus require a lot of cure time. I would still like to use the CM, but I'm wondering how much to use?

Thoughts?

I'm planning to make a HP soap that is primarily coconut oil, with some olive oil and coconut milk. I read an interesting blog about increasing superfat with coconut oil to result in less of a drying effect, but I'm curious to know--will using coconut milk have the same result as well?

I've attached the recipe I had in mind. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

I make a wonderful COCO soap 100 percent with 25 percent SF Aloe water and SILK.. IT feels amazing. and is non drying.
I have also tweeked it with castor have added sorbitol etc and it still wonderful.

I add the ALoe juice and Silk to increase moisture in the bar..

I make a wonderful COCO soap 100 percent with 25 percent SF Aloe water and SILK.. IT feels amazing. and is non drying.
I have also tweeked it with castor have added sorbitol etc and it still wonderful.

I add the ALoe juice and Silk to increase moisture in the bar..
That is interesting. I do have aloe juice somewhere. Also, do you mean Silk like the milk-substitute? If so, which one. Care to share?

Y'all. It worked! I even tossed some heated water with honey at the end. This morning it was very firm. I know there are spots, but this is just for personal use and maybe to share with family. Luckily, we'll be out of town for a few days, so I won't be looking at it longingly.

IMG_2419.jpg

That is interesting. I do have aloe juice somewhere. Also, do you mean Silk like the milk-substitute? If so, which one. Care to share?

I think she meant silk like the material. A lot of soapers like to dissolve a pinch of silk in the lye water. It’s supposed to make a difference in how the soap feels.

I think she meant silk like the material. A lot of soapers like to dissolve a pinch of silk in the lye water. It’s supposed to make a difference in how the soap feels.

I have found through my experience and blind testing that there is no significant difference in the feel of the soap with or without silk, however it does have a major impact on label appeals and sales I have found.

I have found through my experience and blind testing that there is no significant difference in the feel of the soap with or without silk, however it does have a major impact on label appeals and sales I have found.
Although I do use silk cocoons in my non vegan soaps I cannot say I notice any difference in feel. I am not sure if Zolveria is talking about actual silk or the milk called Silk. I use actual silk mainly for label appeal and/or power of suggestion such as my Silky Hump Day soaps :)

Back