Our soap and the Corona Virus

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Y'all are fixating on whether or not "germs" can live on or in soap (they can, it has been proven of all types of soap) and completely missing the point that when used properly, even "contaminated" soap can and does remove 99.9% of "germs" from hands if you wash your hands with it using proper handwashing technique. It is the surfactant property mixed with the friction and length of handwashing that does the trick. This is why handwashing works and continues to be the #1 method of removing "germs" from hands for all healthcare institutions. And it is why I didn't have a single drop of alcohol gel in my house until all this started. I now own some, and use it frequently at work, and we both use it when we go to the store for anything.

Susie, I am not fixating on anything other than people getting correct information. That is my whole reason for commenting on this thread. Certainly handwashing, and correct handwashing, is our best and most effective way of deterring this type of disease in the public forum. I am sorry that my desire to correct the information in the video has led to disagreement here. I just thought that telling people that they were germ free in any scenario might give them unwarranted confidence when we all need to remain vigilant. I don't use hand sanitizer either. There is a bar of soap at every sink in my house, and my membership here should attest to my soap devotion.:confused:

No distilled water?

Maybe now is the time to try an all vinegar soap!

I've just done a few, but it is a great way to make hard bars using a softer recipe. And you don't need any water.
Being a relatively new soapmaker, I've never heard of using vinegar in soap. Do you substitute 1:1 for water?

Being a relatively new soapmaker, I've never heard of using vinegar in soap. Do you substitute 1:1 for water?
If you do a search for 'vinegar' on this forum you'll find a lot of threads that discuss this. Yes, you can substitute it up to 1:1 for water (or you can also just substitute part of your water), but you'll need to adjust your lye amount since the vinegar reacts with some. The soapmakingfriend calculator will do the calculation for you but you can also find the formula on the forum somewhere (I don't know it from the top of my head).

Happy I got a canceled shift today! I was originally scheduled at ground zero! The dedicated Covid-19 floor! So I am going to make more soap today! I unmolded and sliced my first goats milk soap yesterday!
My hospital is also making our own hand sanitizer! And I like it better than the brand we get!
I have a shoe box full of soap I was going to bring in to work.
I kinda want to drop some off at the homeless shelter near my work, but these unfortunate folks have been SICK and coming to my hospital... So I have reservations about going there! Oh what to do...
My renter I have knows of course I am an RN.
Where did HE get the N95? When he comes out of his room and mingles with me... He wears his N95!!!

Let me start my reply by stating that I do not intend to be snarky in any way in this reply. It is often difficult to write down information in a way that other people do not take offense, so please don't.
I hope you didn't take offense at my asking the question... that wasn't my intention. Trust me, when I plan to insult you, you'll know, and I'll likely be banned from the thread. Also, your reply didn't provide any sources for my question.

I am personally offended when people, who have the ability to get attention through their celebrity, try to educate people about things they know little about.
I haven't watched the video, so honestly, I could care less who is promoting handwashing.

There's a good body of reputable studies that show microbial organisms can and do live on bar soap.
Thank you, DeeAnna, for the sources. I did a quick Google search, read through three pages of articles and couldn't find any references to actual studies that I could further search for, so I appreciate your clarifications. Although it really doesn't answer my question regarding the pH affect, I'm over my momentary curiosity, so I don't particularly care to delve further.

Y'all are fixating on whether or not "germs" can live on or in soap
I'm sorry I asked a question.

If I run out of distilled water, I will try reverse osmosis water. There are water stores here which sell it in gallon jugs, and a health food store which has a reverse osmosis machine. They have a bring-your-own-jug system. Perhaps a quarter or fifty cents per gallon.

Why do you need distilled water? If it's for soapmaking, just substitute drinking water, or, use the condensate from a dehumidifier. (Don't use that in a CPAP -- it's "distilled" but by no means sanitary.)
FWIW, if things get desperate getting distilled water for the CPAP, you can make it in limited quantities in a large pot with a dome lid. I won't go into this now. Respond if you want the details.

I am very interested in making distilled water. When you have time to post about this, I would appreciate it. Thanks very much. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone mentioned above that not all germs are the same.

Some, but not all, bacteria and viruses have an outer membrane made of lipids. The virus that causes covid-19 has a lipid membrane as shown in a diagram that was published in the New York Time last week.

Pall Thordarson, the scientist referred to in the NYT article, pointed out that lipids (fatty acids) in the soap interact with and can pry open (disrupt, break) the lipid membrane of the virus. When this happens, the virus is inactivated.

Based on my limited reading this morning, I’ve learned that lipids occurring naturally, or as additions, have also been shown to inactivate viruses in breast milk, infant formulas, and even the mucus in our noses. Lipid disruption of the outer membrane of microbes is one of the explanations for inactivation, but there are others.

I’m looking more closely at publications by researcher Halldor Thormar (see Google Scholar search here) and a collection of contributed chapters by university researchers in a book he edited. The book is Lipids and Essential Oils as Antimicrobial Agents, available through Google Books, here:
https://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=6ZepRgMaa2gC&oi=fnd&pg=PT9&dq=
virus+lipid+soap+disruption&ots=XBzqRiLrdZ&sig=BbjskW9Sj1kEg8WIFpO_5fL_XvM#v=onepage&q=virus lipid soap disruption&f=false

I put a break in the link for the book (between “=“ and “virus”) because the post was otherwise not adjusting to the margins properly on my screen.
One of the US drug trials that is about to start for COVID-19 treatments will test whether or not a mixture of two synthetic compounds administered via inhalation can “wake up” natural defense mechanisms in the lungs. An interesting thing that caught my eye about one of the compounds is that it has two 16:0 fatty acids hanging off the side. The other compound is a polypeptide.

In regards to the use of condensate from a dehumidifier. Please do not mistake that water as a good alternative! There is lead soldering around the copper coils. If you read the manual for the dehumidifier you will find that they warn you not to attempt to use or drink that water because it is contaminated, and should be disposed of! I won’t go into details here. However, the idea of making your own distilled water using boiling water and lid to catch......” is a safe method. We still have plenty of snow on the ground, some of you should be getting rain now, if filtered through a coffee filter to remove the inevitable air-borne debris....you are good to go!

I just dispersed oodles of bars of soap to my co-workers before I bailed out of the hospital on a low need day. Second panic attack en route to work. Not liking this situation. I am normally a bit more stoic and fearless! This is breaking me down emotionally! So I feel good about dispersing the soap. Everyone got the same message. Have a free bar of homemade soap. Wash your hands, stay healthy and know I love you!
So today to calm my nerves... I will make another batch of soap! And maybe another... and another...

Wal-Mart still has aloe vera gel by the gallon! I use that now instead of distilled water. Curious about the vinegar soaping! Put that on my to do list!

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget you can soap with vinegar instead of distilled water or soda, juice etc. Our stores have not been out of vinegar.

Vinegar? What does it do to the soap? I just happen to have two gallons of White Vinegar.

Latest posts

Back