Our soap and the Corona Virus

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great posting and great news. I went to the store to pick up a prescription on Wednesday. This was before there was a known case of coronavirus in Idaho. No alcohol, aloe vera gel, hand sanitizers, anti-bacterial wipes or liquids of any type( includes baby wipes), no Lysol and maybe about 6-8 bottles of Clorox on the shelves. I didn't bother with the toilet paper as I had been in Costco two days earlier and they didn't have any at that time.

I have never liked hand sanitizers...too drying and hate the smell...so soap and water have always been my friend. I was going to hit the liquor store up for some Everclear, but now since I only go out when necessary, I will stick with my own soap....and feel more than safe. Hubby says we have enough soap until Doomsday...at least it isn't something that I have to go to the store for. And I can get all the ingredients off the internet!

After spending most of my life in Alaska, 150 miles from the nearest grocery store, where we went shopping once a month, I am still in the habit of keeping a fairly full pantry. We may not like what's in it to eat and have some fairly odd meals at times, but we don't "have to" go to the store on a daily basis. Right now that's a good habit to have. Both me and hubby are of the age and we both have underlying conditions, so we are homebound for the duration....

With lots of soap! Stay well soapers.

I'm from hurricane country. I keep my house stocked with all of the basics to get us through at least a couple of weeks. I might run out of Splenda, but that's about the only "crisis" item I will be needing. And believe it or not, there's none to be found in any store around us. May have to learn to drink coffee and tea unsweetened for the duration.

I'm from hurricane country. I keep my house stocked with all of the basics to get us through at least a couple of weeks. I might run out of Splenda, but that's about the only "crisis" item I will be needing. And believe it or not, there's none to be found in any store around us. May have to learn to drink coffee and tea unsweetened for the duration.
Tea is one thing but unsweetened coffee? Nope, I will be skipping that.

Soap - check. I just *might* have a little extra.
Pantry....
Yup. It takes us an hour to get to the store so we have a pantry.
We *might* be the "preppers" next door to our neighbors. I just watched what my grandparents and parents did and followed suit when I came of age. We called it self sufficient way back then.
One of my chores was trying to keep the cow dog out of the cellar. He liked the cool in the summer and warm in the winter;).

Soap - check. I just *might* have a little extra.
Pantry....
Yup. It takes us an hour to get to the store so we have a pantry.
We *might* be the "preppers" next door to our neighbors. I just watched what my grandparents and parents did and followed suit when I came of age. We called it self sufficient way back then.
One of my chores was trying to keep the cow dog out of the cellar. He liked the cool in the summer and warm in the winter;).

I have been accused of being a "Prepper", But they also said they want me on their team for the Zombie Apocalypse! I have most of the homestead skills down, just need to brush up on the hunting and cleaning of game,

After spending most of my life in Alaska, 150 miles from the nearest grocery store, where we went shopping once a month, I am still in the habit of keeping a fairly full pantry. We may not like what's in it to eat and have some fairly odd meals at times, but we don't "have to" go to the store on a daily basis. Right now that's a good habit to have. Both me and hubby are of the age and we both have underlying conditions, so we are homebound for the duration....

With lots of soap! Stay well soapers.

I'm a 'stocker' too...comes from my country upbringing when going to town was a whole day event. I have just about two of everything (one in use, one as backup), or have 'refills'. I have a large 'pantry' unit in the garage that my BIL made as well as a small chest freeze (got it used for $50). Pasta on sale 10/$10...I'll spend $10 to $20. Butter on sale...I'll pick up 2 to 3 pounds...more if it's a good sale. Soup on sale...buy a few extra cans. Frozen veggies on sale...buy a few extra bags. Three adults in the house...except for some meds, we can self-quarantine for a good month of more. If I run out of bread, I can always more it. I do admit to buying a case of water. Having a bottle of water by a sick person's bedside is better than a glass in case it gets knocked over.

My community has been hard hit by hoarders and profiteers since the virus showed up less than 10 miles away...three of the 10 have died. After making sure friends and family had plenty of soap and cutting up 50 bars to take to the local shelter, I still have a 150 bars and am making more today. I want to get my soap out to the community, but I really can't afford to give it away for free. I would like to at least ask for the cost of ingredients and packaging so I can make more soap, but am not sure how to go about it. I was thinking of posting on our community FB page...something along the lines of "$2.00 a bar, 5 bar maximum, meet at the Home Depot parking lot (they have cameras) between 5pm - 8pm, cash only". I only have 160 bars so it would take long to sell out so I worry about getting mobbed.

I'm a 'stocker' too...comes from my country upbringing when going to town was a whole day event. I have just about two of everything (one in use, one as backup), or have 'refills'.
I was raised similarly and have plenty to last us through several months. Of course, there may be some grumbling from the peanut gallery as we run out of some favorite foods, but we won't starve.
I am disappointed in Chewy.com. I have a subscription with them, but received a notice this morning that they are swamped and they may not get my regular shipment out on Monday as planned. Kind of irks my soul, as I am a regular customer and feel my standing order should come before last minute shoppers. Of course, maybe they're having trouble getting their shipments in, because of the run on other stores for food and supplies. Guess my dogs may be eating chicken and rice for a few days. They won't complain.

I have splenda I can send you. My ex used it in his coffee and I have a Ziploc somewhat full. I'd be happy to share. I only use it in my tea on occasion.

On the downside, our monthly market has been cancelled this weekend -.

I have decided not to participate in any more markets until we stop seeing cases of the virus, and am staying home as much as possible. My Dad is 98 and I am his primary driver to doctor appointments. I don't want to carry the virus to him. I do have an Etsy vendor account, but don't sell much there. Of course, this could change now.

Luckily for us we've only had 12 confirmed cases in NZ - but that's how it starts eh?
Unfortunately not going to the market means lack of exposure for me - as a new soaper I rely on 'spreading the word' at the market, which in turn draws people back to my website for repeat sales.

I have been accused of being a "Prepper", But they also said they want me on their team for the Zombie Apocalypse! I have most of the homestead skills down, just need to brush up on the hunting and cleaning of game,

I grind flour, grew up cutting meat and have the garden under grow lights getting started.
I am the "go to guy" for some of the folks at the range when they need parts...

Luckily for us we've only had 12 confirmed cases in NZ - but that's how it starts eh?
Unfortunately not going to the market means lack of exposure for me - as a new soaper I rely on 'spreading the word' at the market, which in turn draws people back to my website for repeat sales.
I'm sorry. This illness is a financial blow to many. I did not mean to dismiss your situation.

I was raised similarly and have plenty to last us through several months. Of course, there may be some grumbling from the peanut gallery as we run out of some favorite foods, but we won't starve.
I am disappointed in Chewy.com. I have a subscription with them, but received a notice this morning that they are swamped and they may not get my regular shipment out on Monday as planned. Kind of irks my soul, as I am a regular customer and feel my standing order should come before last minute shoppers. Of course, maybe they're having trouble getting their shipments in, because of the run on other stores for food and supplies. Guess my dogs may be eating chicken and rice for a few days. They won't complain.
I worked in a store front that sold pet food. I can honestly tell you it is an absolute NIGHTMARE when suppliers are affected by events beyond their control. Best thing for customers to consider, especially since this is the first time my generation has ever been through something like this, is to be patient with the vendors they order from. We are all in this mess together, thanks to the media drumming up panic within the drones. Let's just hope it ships within a week as we try to recover from the past week's panic of the masses.

Kind of irks my soul, as I am a regular customer and feel my standing order should come before last minute shoppers. Of course, maybe they're having trouble getting their shipments in, because of the run on other stores for food and supplies. Guess my dogs may be eating chicken and rice for a few days. They won't complain.

I seriously doubt that Chewy.com has time to play 'favorites'.

I scored 3-12 packs of toilet paper, 2-5lbs bags of flour and 25lbs of cat food. Now before anyone says anything, only the cat food is for us. I have plenty of flour, but one of my co-workers mentioned yesterday that she is getting critically low...she makes her own bread and pasta. I overheard another co-worker talking to her mom that she couldn't find any TP, but would try again after work...she is getting a 12-pack. Another 12-pack is going to a friend...both her husband and FIL are very high-risk because of health issues and age and she works a high risk job (bank) and is worried about exposing herself more by having to source something as basic as toilet paper. The third pack will go to the local food pantry to be split into 3-4 packs.

I signed on for 120 guest size bars of beer soap for my nephew's wedding, which was going to be held at a brewery. That is, until it was postponed due to the virus. I have 2 5 pound logs of soap that almost seized from the FO I used. It is not cosmetically fit for the wedding anyway, but still a good soap, so I'm set for the duration ;). Along with my family, neighbors, friends and passers-by, haha!

This is our time to shine. Soap will be our savior. So glad I've been making soap every weekend.
unfortunately there is a shortage of distilled water where I live in NJ. I have some, but my husband needs it for his CPAP, which takes precedence over my soapmaking hobby! I was hoping to fill a lot of my down time making soap but I think that's not going to happen...

Back