Our soap and the Corona Virus

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl

Reaction score
OK, someone had to bring it up, so I will.

Realistically, we're (referring to all of us on this site) all making a different version of the same type of soap. We mix lye with oils.

I have heard "Wash your hands" about a million times this week.

Is the soap that we make sufficient for the hand washing needed to kill this virus? Or do I need some type of over the counter bacteria killing soap?

"On the whole, hand sanitizers are not as reliable as soap."

I had a coworker ask me today if I made hand sanitizer after a couple of customers asked if we sold the it. I told her that since the kids and I are allergic to the stuff, I refuse to touch it. Same for bleach, Lysol and the other "germ killers" on the market. Soap and hot water are generally better overall. Another coworker that always talks with me about soap making chimed in agreeing. That one fussed at me for not advertising my CP soaps, saying that that's the next shortage coming. From what he told me yesterday, the special needs teacher he helps is having a hard time keeping up with the demand they're under for soaps. Apparently, they're selling the fire out of the little MP soaps they make.

The only time I was able to use sanitizer without a bad reaction was when I was stung by a bee. Killed the bee sting instantly. Any other time I touch it, my hands break out like I've poured acid over them. Not to mention, my throat closes up and I can't breathe. One of my daughters started using it thanks to the school forcing the issue and her hands started blistering and peeling bad enough to look like raw meat. Our doctor told her to never use it again.

do I need some type of over the counter bacteria killing soap?
This as probably been covered, but I haven'r read the rest of the posts yet (promise I will)
Soap by its very nature is "anti-bacterial" so IMO, no no need for anything extra, however you cannot claim that when giving/selling your soap, or you can be liable for false claims. To make claims like that you would need FDA approval, that, let's face it, you most likely won't get because it costs literally thousands of $$$ for the testing....

Now off to read the rest of the post.

Great posting and great news. I went to the store to pick up a prescription on Wednesday. This was before there was a known case of coronavirus in Idaho. No alcohol, aloe vera gel, hand sanitizers, anti-bacterial wipes or liquids of any type( includes baby wipes), no Lysol and maybe about 6-8 bottles of Clorox on the shelves. I didn't bother with the toilet paper as I had been in Costco two days earlier and they didn't have any at that time.

I have never liked hand sanitizers...too drying and hate the smell...so soap and water have always been my friend. I was going to hit the liquor store up for some Everclear, but now since I only go out when necessary, I will stick with my own soap....and feel more than safe. Hubby says we have enough soap until Doomsday...at least it isn't something that I have to go to the store for. And I can get all the ingredients off the internet!

After spending most of my life in Alaska, 150 miles from the nearest grocery store, where we went shopping once a month, I am still in the habit of keeping a fairly full pantry. We may not like what's in it to eat and have some fairly odd meals at times, but we don't "have to" go to the store on a daily basis. Right now that's a good habit to have. Both me and hubby are of the age and we both have underlying conditions, so we are homebound for the duration....

With lots of soap! Stay well soapers.

Latest posts

Back