Single-Use Soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I wanted to share my latest soap that I finally tested: single use travel soaps!
IMG_8644.jpeg

IMG_8640.jpeg

These are technically “shampoo soap”, which I understand is not actually great for your hair, but I figured for a few days while traveling it’s better than nothing. I also heard that shampoo soap makes for decent body soap, but not the other way around.

Anyway, I made them in mini-donut silicone molds, inspired also by lifesaver candies, which from experience can maintain their shape for a long time before dissolving into nothing. Likewise, these soaps are better than the little discs they give out at hotels because they have the same surface area, so decent to handle, but are missing that middle chunk that would need to be tossed anyway.

I tried them out, and indeed they’re good for about one shower and a few hand washes (less if also washing hair).

My thinking is, when going on multi-day hikes stopping in rustic lodges along the way, you can really carry just the bare minimum soap needed, and not have to deal with wet soap between nights.

I’m quite happy with them!

Hi everyone!

I wanted to share my latest soap that I finally tested: single use travel soaps!
View attachment 73265
View attachment 73266

These are technically “shampoo soap”, which I understand is not actually great for your hair, but I figured for a few days while traveling it’s better than nothing. I also heard that shampoo soap makes for decent body soap, but not the other way around.

Anyway, I made them in mini-donut silicone molds, inspired also by lifesaver candies, which from experience can maintain their shape for a long time before dissolving into nothing. Likewise, these soaps are better than the little discs they give out at hotels because they have the same surface area, so decent to handle, but are missing that middle chunk that would need to be tossed anyway.

I tried them out, and indeed they’re good for about one shower and a few hand washes (less if also washing hair).

My thinking is, when going on multi-day hikes stopping in rustic lodges along the way, you can really carry just the bare minimum soap needed, and not have to deal with wet soap between nights.

I’m quite happy with them!
Super cute. I like the idea of single-use soap. I am going to have to give it a try.

I love your idea! The shape is good too. How did you fill those little molds? I'm thinking ziploc bag would work?

I've been using shampoo bars for 3 years on shoulder-length gray hair and it's wonderful, so don't know why they say it's a problem. My hair is beautiful, has a lot less hair loss, I get complements actually - no conditioner, just rinse with diluted organic apple cider vinegar. I think that balances the ph.

I've been using shampoo bars for 3 years on shoulder-length gray hair and it's wonderful, so don't know why they say it's a problem. My hair is beautiful, has a lot less hair loss, I get complements actually - no conditioner, just rinse with diluted organic apple cider vinegar. I think that balances the ph.
You are one of the lucky ones. Soap as shampoo is definitely not for everyone. You can read a lot of testimonies on both sides of this issue in a variety of threads here on SMF.

One of the best things about making our own products is customizing what works best for our own hair, skin, nails, etc. :)

You are one of the lucky ones. Soap as shampoo is definitely not for everyone. You can read a lot of testimonies on both sides of this issue in a variety of threads here on SMF.

One of the best things about making our own products is customizing what works best for our own hair, skin, nails, etc. :)
Absolutely! I have very severe chemical allergies - main reason I got into soaping. Now I have unscented 100% organic coconut oil shampoo and my skin/hair are so much nicer!

Absolutely! I have very severe chemical allergies - main reason I got into soaping. Now I have unscented 100% organic coconut oil shampoo and my skin/hair are so much nicer!
That's awesome, and I'm genuinely happy that it works for you! Big win!

I was only responding to the part of your comment about "don't know why they say it's a problem." I know you didn't mean to sound insensitive to the many folks who have had drastically bad outcomes from using soap as shampoo. To them, it's unkind when another person insists that because hair soap works for them, it should work for everyone else - that somehow that those who can't use hair soap are just "doing it wrong" or "using bad soap."

Just like our food choices, what works for us won't necessarily work for someone else. And just like food choices, it's a topic that gets folks pretty fired up! Me, I'm happy to be friends with those who can use soap on their hair, and those who can't. It would be boring if we were all the same!

Absolutely! I have very severe chemical allergies - main reason I got into soaping.
Me too!
Now I have unscented 100% organic coconut oil shampoo and my skin/hair are so much nicer!
My dear hubby's favorite was Zany's Palm Olive Soap made with Palm, Olive and PKO (Palm Kernel Oil). He liked the convenience of being able to wash his hair with the same bar he used in the shower for the rest of himself. Plus, it made his silver hair shine with no trace of yellow. 😉

I prefer liquid soap for shampooing. Zany's Flaxseed Shampoo is my favorite. It has the same viscosity as commercial shampoos. Like you, I also follow-up with an apple cider vinegar rinse to restore the acid balance of my scalp. It rinses clean and leaves my hair soft, shiny and manageable without the need for conditioner or other products. It's a good thing. 😁

On a month-long trip in South America, I can confirm that they’re absolutely fantastic! Perfect size for single use, and the donut shape really leaves nothing after a shower. Here, some places came with soaps, others only a whole bar I felt bad opening for only a single night stay. Can highly recommend 👍
I am interested in making some soaps this size. I love the donut idea. Will you share approximate width and height?

@Tammyfarms Here's a thought... I bought Frozen Nancy's Petite Quiche for years. They oome in a plastic tray with 24 round cavities -- perfect for mini-soaps. You can fill to whatever weight you want, 1 oz. (28g) or less... 3g? I melt butters in them to freeze and store in a ZipLoc bag until needed. I have 8 trays now that have held up well over many uses. 😉

@Tammyfarms Here's a thought... I bought Frozen Nancy's Petite Quiche for years. They oome in a plastic tray with 24 round cavities -- perfect for mini-soaps. You can fill to whatever weight you want, 1 oz. (28g) or less... 3g? I melt butters in them to freeze and store in a ZipLoc bag until needed. I have 8 trays now that have held up well over many uses. 😉
Thanks for the suggestion. I like the idea of a hole in the middle so you don’t end up with a small disk of soap. I have found two sizes and think the smaller one would be the right size but wanted to check with someone who has been making them. Hopefully @Blufuz will see this.
These are 39mm/1.5” x 12mm/.4”.
1699198551891.png

These are 2.9” x 1”
1699198418884.png

I think the smaller one would be the right size but have a hard time visualizing sizes.

Go back to the picture in Post #1, measure the distance between the finger and thumb holding the mini soap, it looks to be about 1 1/2".

Thanks for the suggestion. I like the idea of a hole in the middle so you don’t end up with a small disk of soap. I have found two sizes and think the smaller one would be the right size but wanted to check with someone who has been making them. Hopefully @Blufuz will see this.
These are 39mm/1.5” x 12mm/.4”. View attachment 75109

These are 2.9” x 1”
View attachment 75108
I think the smaller one would be the right size but have a hard time visualizing sizes.
The first ones

Latest posts

Back