organic.....everything!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misty

Reaction score
came across a soap website listing organic ingredients in their soap, such as (to name a few)organic clove powder, organic star anise powder, organic extra virgin olive oil, organic white wine vinegar, organic orange peel, organic poppy seed, organic virgin palm oil, organic extra virgin olive oil, organic beeswax, etc. etc. Just wondering if this term "organic" can be overexposed in products. How can one get organic beeswax (I'm guessing there may be tho). This would sure up the price of your soap, right?
What are your thoughts........

Just my two thoughts:

1. Yes, "organic" can be a very used term and how can one be truly sure everything is organic in order to label it as such

2. If something truly is organic, the crowd it will appeal to is the one that won't care about paying extra.

well - the beeswax has me boggled. the rest I could almost believe. cept I don't.

and yea, it would be a pricey bar indeed.

I guess if one has a fenced-in and covered pollinating grounds for his/her bees, then, indeed, a bee could produce something organic. However, given the buzzing nature of a bee and the far-fetched notion that one would make an enclosed feasting grounds for the little buzzers, it is likely that nothing a bee makes is organic. I know a bee keeper and will ask her this very question!

There is a legal definition for the term "organic" when used to describe ingredients or products. I'm not sure what it is but I doubt it's as strict as you might think.

Take the use of "all natural" for example, or as an even more extreme case "light" or "lite" foods, which is just a joke.

It reminds me of looking at shops where every single product & scent name has a TM next to it :roll: . I just go ya, right, you have 54 trademarks registered...,

That would be some kind of pricey bar of soap . For something that goes down the drain ? Organic beeswax ,hmmm. A PT Barnum quote comes to mind.

Kitn

thanks all for your input, & yes Kitn for a wash off product that goes down the drain, it does seem a bit costly for certain items termed "organic" like organic orange peel, organic poppy seed, organic clove powder, etc. Items that can be purchased at a Health Store near by. (Which to me are just as good) & no shipping & handling fees. Oh well....I plant a garden so my cucumber & tomatoe soap is organic...using the term loosely, likewise parsley, dill, herbs.etc. & dry my own orange, lemon, lime peel (although who knows how they were grown. Just not registered organic)!!!
So I do not use the term "organic" when identifying the ingredients in my soap. For additives it's just home grown....no chemicals used.

Knowing only that organic products tend to be pricier because they are more pure, I'd say it'd definitely lead to a price increase.

Organic oils themselves are a bit more expensive than non-organic.

I would like to see the certified organic certificate by the USDA. Also in terms of price as of right now you can usually find certified organic carrier oils as you can regular oils or at least I have seen.

Okay.. maybe i"m wrong but how does a bee NOT make organic beeswax?

I've got these images in my head of some beekeeper in a bee suit spraying chemicals all over the bees to make them produce faster.. lol!

I know that where I work, if it's not organic, we don't call it organic. It has to meet many series of requirements before it's considered "organic". A company should be certified as "organic" if it offers products that they say are organic.

ChrissyB said:
You couldn't use vinegar in soap, it would neutralise the lye and it wouldn't saponify.
ah yes, but people use it anyway. I soap with tomato juice which is acidic, some add lemon juice...

Rmember, most vinegar is about 3% acetic acid - not 100%!

People who add a lot simply have a high superfat.

Actually I have a prospective customer (Up-scale "Green" Resort) that wants an organic soap so I've been doing some research and it is possible to get the certification but 90% of the ingredients, not including water, must be certified organic ingredients. You'll see my other post where I'm looking for certified OO & CO because I have found the rest. Lye of course can't be certified organic but since it is only 9.5% of the ingredient list I'm okay there.

I think there is a niche market out there for "Certified Organic" and that means getting the certification for soap.

Interesting how this seems to come up in multiples like this where it comes up more than once, different sources, differnt context....cool....

Im using organic ingredients as far as I can. There are a few things I am having a hard time finding, but ill keep on trying. I have managed to get all my oils and waxes organic, the EOs are a bit harder to get here in Norway.

Did you actually know that the sitrusfruits are amongst the most fertilised and sprayed fruits? I would never use nonorganic oranges or lemons, so why use it in the cosmetics witch also absorbs in the skin?

My products are not certified yet. The reason? There are no such thing in Norway. They are working on the law as we speak, and they have been so for over a year. Therefor I do not use organic in my brand name, or call the products organic. In stead it says wich ingredients are organic in the INCIs.

I would assume the organic part would not be for the bee making the honey & wax...but how the beekeeper maintains the hives. Usually mite control is done non-organic.

I buy organic honey all the time so it is possible to have organic beeswax. :wink: Everything I grow in my backyard is organic. I do not use artificial fertilizers and no poisons at all (nor have I ever).

I think some people use the term "organic" quite loosely though. :?

CibariaSoapSupply said:
Knowing only that organic products tend to be pricier because they are more pure, I'd say it'd definitely lead to a price increase.

Organic oils themselves are a bit more expensive than non-organic.

I gotta disagree with you here. Organics may be more pure, but that is not why they are more expensive.
They are pricier for three reasons:
1) You can't use artificial fertilizers to increase crop yields.
2) You can't use artificial pest/disease control to reduce crop losses.
3) People are willing to pay more for them, because they think (right or wrong) that organic is better for them or for the planet. (And I say this as someone who is usually willing to pay more for organic.)

Latest posts

Back