Want to know why???

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

I made this batch without the palm oil. After 24 hours, the soap was hard as a rock! I couldn't cut it with my usual soap cutter so I used my kitchen knife and this is what šŸ˜³ happened.

I placed the mold in an insulated box (cooler/icebox) to keep it warm so that the soap can go through the gel phase.

4 lbs. batch:

45% olive oil
22% organic ex virgin coconut oil
20% shea butter
8% organic high oleic safflower oil
5% castor oil

Jasmine fragrance oil

5% super fat/ discount

Water: Lye Ratio
1.5:1

I was so shocked to see this!

Does anyone have any idea on what might have happened here???

Thank you in advance for your help :)!

Attachments

• 20210131_202551.jpg
    20210131_202551.jpg
    398.3 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
To me, it doesn't have the chalky look of being lye-heavy. My guess is that you waited too long to cut. Granted, 24 hours doesn't seem that long, but I often use a 1.5:1 water:lye ratio and can usually cut at 16-18 hours.

Also, I wasn't quite sure what you mean about "gelled the soap in the icebox." Putting it in the ice box (freezer) usually keeps it from gelling. šŸ¤”

To me, it doesn't have the chalky look of being lye-heavy. My guess is that you waited too long to cut. Granted, 24 hours doesn't seem that long, but I often use a 1.5:1 water:lye ratio and can usually cut at 16-18 hours.

Also, I wasn't quite sure what you mean about "gelled the soap in the icebox." Putting it in the ice box (freezer) usually keeps it from gelling. šŸ¤”
Sorry ^^ I meant to say I put the mold in the icebox so that soap can go through gel phase.

Any chance the Jasmine accelerates slightly? Between that, the coconut/Shea, and the low water, I would imagine your unmold/cut time with be in the 12-18 hours window.

Actually it did! It moved so fast!

Other than the salt bar, I usually unmold and cut my bars after 24 hours. I am also thinking that it must be the coconut oil/shea and the low water combination. This was a new palm free recipe that I was working on for the first time. Thank you.

I think they mean an esky or a polystyrene box to keep the warmth in to make it go through gel. Not in the fridge/freezer.

šŸ˜†šŸ˜†šŸ˜† Sheesh! How old AM I! Or, rather, clearly I was around my grandparents a lot. Or is it a regional thing-- do we midwesterners all still think of the fridge as an "ice box"? šŸ˜†šŸ˜†šŸ˜†

šŸ˜†šŸ˜†šŸ˜† Sheesh! How old AM I! Or, rather, clearly I was around my grandparents a lot. Or is it a regional thing-- do we midwesterners all still think of the fridge as an "ice box"? šŸ˜†šŸ˜†šŸ˜†
I'm a youngish midwesterner, and I'm used to the ice box being either a cooler of ice or the freezer. I was also very confused as to why sticking a soap in such conditions might be conducive to gelling. šŸ¤£

Actually it did! It moved so fast!
I usually don't lower the water for an accelerating fragrance, but if it moves very quickly that generally shortens my unmolding/cutting window to 6-12 hours. With low water, you probably could have unmolded closer to 3 hours.

I usually don't lower the water for an accelerating fragrance, but if it moves very quickly that generally shortens my unmolding/cutting window to 6-12 hours. With low water, you probably could have unmolded closer to 3 hours.
[/QUOTE]

I knew certain fragrance oils can cause acceleration and seizing but never knew it can cause soap hard and brittle. This is something new to me. Thanks.

Sorry, I did not understand your use of the term ā€œiceboxā€ which to me is a freezer. Now that I know you meant an insulated, non-refrigerated box of some kind, it makes sense that you could gel in that. Just a difference in regional terminology. šŸ˜‰

in any event, the FO did not cause the soap to be brittle. The low water caused the soap to harden faster, and then you waited too long to cut it.

Last edited:
I knew certain fragrance oils can cause acceleration and seizing but never knew it can cause soap hard and brittle. This is something new to me. Thanks.
"hard" is what your soap would have been in a few days anyways, once it finished saponifying. The FO just sped that up.

"Brittle" is what your soap would have been in a week or so if you'd used the 2:1 water: lye ratio instead. By lowering the water, you shortened the timeframe on that to immediately.

If you use a 1.5:1 ratio, you basically have to cut the soap while it's still saponifying for most recipes. Or use individual molds instead.

You simply waited too long to cut your beautiful soap, and that was a shame. You cannot go by how long you let most soaps sit, I cut my soaps in 8-10 hrs and I use a 2:1 ratio.

I was a little upset about it but I just learned something new :)! Thank you! I am currently working on a low water and palm free recipe.

Ahh, I see. Basically I waited too long... Thanks!
Your soap is so pretty and worth a try at saving it! Preheat your oven to somewhere between 170F and 200F. Then pack the soap back into an oven-safe mold, and put it in the warm oven. Watch it like a hawk till it softens, then take it out and cut it. I've saved a few too-hard loaves this way. You might also be able to put it on a heating pad turned up to the high setting, but I've never tried that yet.

Your soap is so pretty and worth a try at saving it! Preheat your oven to somewhere between 170F and 200F. Then pack the soap back into an oven-safe mold, and put it in the warm oven. Watch it like a hawk till it softens, then take it out and cut it. I've saved a few too-hard loaves this way. You might also be able to put it on a heating pad turned up to the high setting, but I've never tried that yet.

Thank you! Will try :)!

Latest posts

Back