Organic vs. Reg. Palm

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bountifulsoaps

Reaction score
Accidently bought organic palm oil from columbus instead of regular. Will it soap differently? Once I substituted extra virgin olive for regular olive and it did. In fact I dumped the soap.

Why would you dump a soap made with EVO? It would have been fine unless you made some other error. In all my years of soaping, I can only think of two batches I have tossed, one was not my recipe, and one was an experiment.

Organic Palm will soap the same as Reg Palm all that is really going to make a big difference is the price you paid for Organic. Once the lye hits the oils not much is left of the original properties of the oil itself.

No I only buy from columbus. I made two batchs using the extra virgin and both were with goat milk but one cured in 2 months and the other never did. I make these batchs all the time with the cheaper olive oil and it always turns out. Thought maybe goat milk but it was frozen. Anyway, I need to watch what I'm buying that was a big mistake and I really didn't realize I bought organic palm. Oh well, I'll make a batch of cinnamon and rosemary mint today and then pray!

If it's grades of oil, that can make a difference in color... I didn't even know extra virgin avocado oil was a thing until dark green/brown liquid was pouring into my mostly clear normal avocado oil.
But "organic" without a grade designation usually just means "more expensive," particularly since the lye monster will be eating any nutrients that "organic" might have contributed in the first place.

Oh well, I'll make a batch of cinnamon and rosemary mint today and then pray!
If you are talking about cinnamon EO, be aware that it accelerates trace and is a know skin sensitizer in even small amounts.

Regarding the different results from the two batches, that sounds like a mismeasurement of oils, lye or water. It is also possible that your olive oil was adulterated, regardless of labeling or branding. It’s a known issue with olive oil, and even good brands have been duped by their suppliers into selling what was supposed to be 100% OO but was really an inferior blend of oils. That in turn affects the lye requirements and can mess up your recipe.

I know but I have people always asking for it. I love it too but my husband doesn't use it on his skin because of irritation. I use the highest percent of distilled water and practically do not mix until water/oil is below the 100 temp.

Latest posts

Back