Odd odor

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrambleNBumble

Reaction score
So I made a batch of a mocha soap using double strength coffee instead of water and added in cocoa powder according to the recipe. Here's what it called for:
Coconut oil 27%
Olive oil 26%
Pam oil 25%
Castor oil 12.5%
Sweet Almond oil 9.5%
1 tsp cocoa powder ppo
1 tsp coffee grounds ppo

When I cut it last night it smelled like wet socks. Will that change over time or am I just not good at using anything but regular old water for my soaps.

DSC01216.jpg

I've used coffee for color and it does smell funky while the coffee interacts with the lye. Mine went away after a few days.

Thanks, good to know that I don't have to worry about testing a soap called "dirty sock" lol!

Hey I might use that. I like to name my soaps with the word dirty in them. Mad "The Dirty Gonzales" for my bro, "Dirty Bubs bathtime" for my freinds baby, and for my ex "Soap for a dirty dirty..., well we'll just leave that one alone.

Hey I might use that. I like to name my soaps with the word dirty in them. Mad "The Dirty Gonzales" for my bro, "Dirty Bubs bathtime" for my freinds baby, and for my ex "Soap for a dirty dirty..., well we'll just leave that one alone.

Lol, I'd be curious as to what it would smell like. :)

Sent from my XT907 using Soap Making mobile app

I made a HP batch of salt / coconut soap with espresso port (homemade) instead of water and added a bunch of coffee grounds. I think it smells like vomit, even with the FO... the hubby thinks I'm crazy, but there is a yucky smell to it. Luckly I made it for him so I don't have to worry about using it.

Every time I use cocoa powder or melted chocolate, I always get a weird smell at first, even though I've added hot chocolate FO (it's like the smell is overpowering the FO). I dunno how to describe the smell, but I think it might be pretty close to what you were describing. Luckily, it went away after a few days and the true chocolate smell replaces it, so nice I just want to eat it!

Didn't get this with HP, only CP. I loooooovvvee chocolate, and I love soaping with it. With coffee, I only did it once with HP, and it was only coffee (not mixed with anything else). I didn't get any weird smell, except the smell from the coffee didn't hold up that well.

I'll say, give it a few days, I'm pretty sure (from past experiences) the wet socks smell will go away

Your soap looks lovely btw :)

Latest posts

Back